+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Daredevil (2003) - 2/14

Conservative til the end! msvicki's Avatar
    I was one of those women that asked my hubby to take me to see this for Valentines........and what could be better than a well built Ben in red leather for Valentines??? He plays the part well.

The movie is great! I loved it! But then again, I love comic book character movies (Beauty and the Beast, Spiderman, X Men, Incredible Hulk). This was certainly one of the better I've seen, and Jennifer Garner looks great and has some good moves.

And as for those "scrawny arms"....they looked fairly ripped to me. Just enough muscle to look good and still look very much feminine.

Yes, the jumping across buildings and superhuman moves out of mere humans defies reality...but that's why they call it "comic book" characters. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8.5.
    Ms. Vicki

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Okay, maybe I'm just weird. As a kid I read Spiderman and Daredevil. I thought that Spiderman was the best comicbook made into a movie I've ever seen. And while the effects in Daredevil were good, I thought the movie was a huge letdown.

I think Sher's comments were pretty dead-on. But Sher, you didn't like Spiderman? Heretic!

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    I didn't like spiderman either. Maybe its cuz I've seen his Origen story about a 100 times I knew what was happining next for the most part. Also why have Dafoe in a stupid outfit, should have had him in rubber mask/makeup to see his facial movements.

And for the superhuman jumping, you can blame Matrix on that one. Since the Matrix came out and the characters did all this cool stuff every movie has to do the same to look cool. Just look at Charlies Angels.

I've never read comic books, but I like the comic books heroes (watched the cartoons ). I loved Spider Man and X-Men movies. Looking forward to watching the Incredible Hulk.

But I have to agree with Wayner that Daredevil wasn't that good. Ben's fighting scenes were kind of bland. I don't think Ben was a good fit for this movie. I couldn't focus on anything other than his horrible hair. It did sure looked like a rug, to me.

Jennifer, on the other hand, was extremely good. Her fight scenes were a heck of a lot more believable than Ben's. I do agree with Sher that it was kind of weird to watch mere humans scale and jump buildings. And Daredevil was too hurt to fight, but minutes later, he was deuling it out with the bad guys like if he was 100%.

I know that most of these comic book heroes are sort of vigilantes, but their heroic deeds make that message seem almost invisible. However, with Daredevil, that wasn't the case. All I could think of was: "He's a vigilante". I couldn't get past that.

Anyway, I would recommend waiting for the video rental, but that's just me.

I haven't seen the movie and I don't think I'll bother.

I just don't really find Ben Affleck very believable to star in a movie like this.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by nofx242
    I didn't like spiderman either. Maybe its cuz I've seen his Origen story about a 100 times I knew what was happining next for the most part. Also why have Dafoe in a stupid outfit, should have had him in rubber mask/makeup to see his facial movements.

And for the superhuman jumping, you can blame Matrix on that one. Since the Matrix came out and the characters did all this cool stuff every movie has to do the same to look cool. Just look at Charlies Angels.
    Not rally a fan of Spiderman either.
    I like Kirsten Dunst, but I really didn't like her on that movie at all.

You're dead on with your Matrix observation too.
    So many movies have been ripping off the stunts from The Matrix.

fluff, i think kirsten dunst was the biggest problem with spiderman. i realize that the story was based on a comic book, but imo, she overacted the entire movie.

sorry wayner, spiderman just didn't do it for me.

xmen, however, was awesome! can't wait to see the sequel!

I agree.
    Plus, I hated what they did to her hair, it just bugged me to no end.
    I found her distracting and didn't feel that she looked like the school hottie.
    "That's Numberwang!"

that's exactly how i felt, fluff. she just was a distraction for me in the movie. i kept hoping that she'd get axed before spidey could save her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234