+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Love Dogs - 07/29/05

Must Love Dogs - 07/29/05

from rottentomatoes.com

Must Love Dogs (PG-13)

Theatrical Release Date: Jul 29, 2005 (Wide)

Cast & Crew:
    Diane Lane, John Cusack, Elizabeth Perkins, Ali Hillis, Christopher Plummer directed by Gary David Goldberg more »

Synopsis:
    Dating has never been easy. The time-honored search for a soul mate has always been one part humiliation, two parts aggravation, and a little blind luck thrown in for the fortunate. Today's version of the game can be a blur of websites, speed lunches and hordes of friends and relatives who know just the "right" person for you. Thirty-something preschool teacher Sarah Nolan (DIANE LANE) has been divorced for eight months, which is much too long for her family to bear. With the best of intentions and only her happiness in mind, they stage an intervention in an all-out effort to get her out of pajamas and back into the dating scene, one way or another. Leading the charge are Sarah's sisters, Carol (ELIZABETH PERKINS) and Christine (ALI HILLIS), eager to line up potential suitors, and their widowed father Bill (CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER), who sets a fine example with his own recent and very successful foray into the internet dating realm. Bill has lately been seeing the free-spirited Dolly (STOCKARD CHANNING), whom he met online, along with a number of other ladies whose names his daughters can't quite keep track of.

Eager to launch their sister's own cyber-dating debut, Carol and Christine pretend to be Sarah and post her profile on perfectmatch.com, with the enticing message, "Voluptuous, sensuous, alluring and fun. DWF seeks special man to share starlit nights. Must love dogs." And wait for the responses to pour in.

Sarah soon endures a series of hilariously disastrous mismatches and first dates as the website offers up a stream of eager wannabes and one possible maybe - awkward but intriguing boat builder Jake Anderson (JOHN CUSACK), an idealist who measures romance by a Dr. Zhivago standard. A little on the intense side, Jake might be looking for more than Sarah wants right now. Meanwhile, at work, there's a new distraction - Bob Connor (DERMOT MULRONEY), the newly separated dad of one of her young students. Charming and relaxed, Bob seems made to order, the perfect guy…but is he just too good to be true?

Based on the best-selling book by Claire Cook, and written and directed by two-time Emmy Award winner Gary David Goldberg, Must Love Dogs follows the comic, bumpy and ultimately rewarding journey of a woman cautiously rediscovering romance and learning to trust her own instincts again. Because, as her family enthusiastically reminds her, it's never a good idea to give up on love.
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 - for sexual content

Release Company: Warner Bros.

Genre: Comedies, Theatrical Release, Romantic Comedy, Teachers, Love, Dating, Internet, Pre-School

This looks cute. I read the book and liked it; I'll probably rent it when it comes out on video.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Mmmm....John Cusack....

I'll go see it just for him! Plus a "a series of hilariously disastrous mismatches and first dates " sounds like a treat! +

Ohhh, I never realized Dermot Mulroney is in this movie. After The Wedding Date, I'm on the DM bandwagon. He's a hottie.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw this last night and will tell you it was REALLY cute. I'm not a fan of smaltzy romance, but this was good and had a lot of fun - and an amazing cast. Christopher plummer, Stockard Channing and Victor Webster were also in this. And on a personal note, Christopher Plumber and Victor are the sweetest hollywood actors I've had contact with, so I'm a little bit biased. As a matter of fact, thanks to a letter from victor I had on my wall, my old sleezy super left me alone beleiving him to be my BF!

Back to the movie - Diane Lane is amazing hwile John Cusak doesn't stretch much. I love the fact that they are actually the same age (gasp!) and he is not romancing some twenty something. Shouls I ad that I also went there with a guy I met on the internet? That added another level of fun

Being that I am incredibly picky, I will say that for Hollywood formula - it was still good and had moments of brilliance (Christopher Plumber, amazingly romantic)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Saw it today. LOVED IT! I thought it was well written from the perspective of the dialogue between the sisters and the family and then Diane Lane and John Cusack. a cute storyline. The various dates poor DL went on were hysterical.

DL, JC and Dermot Mulroney ALL look great as they get older. I find Diane Lane to be an absolute classic beauty. And I've always had a thing for John Cusack

Great "chick flick" overall, but I did find it very funny, not too syrupy and enjoyed the family relationship a lot. It wasn't typical and I really liked that. LOVED Mother Theresa!

from me!

I thought it was boring and totally predictable. Glad to see Christopher Plummer looking more robust than he has lately, but Stockard Channing looked old and haggard!
    Count your blessings!

I saw this movie too. It was surprisingly good.

i dont think im gonna see it. sound not interesting to m
    "A couple minutes ago, I was depressed about the gap. I'm like, forget the gap, sucka, I'm going to Thailand."
    ~Danielle (Season6 ANTM)

I went with a girlfriend and we both thought it was great. I've decided to just become a John Cusack stalker and forget about dating. Christopher Plummer was charming as always and I loved how the sisters all interacted.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast