+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fantastic Four - 07/8/2005

Fantastic Four - 07/8/2005

from rottentomatoes.com

Fantastic Four (PG-13)

THEATRICAL RELEASE
    Jul 8, 2005 Wide

CONSENSUS
    Fantastic Four is a goofy, mediocre entry in the superhero genre.

CAST & CREW
    Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba , Michael Chiklis
    Directed by Tim Story

SYNOPSIS
    Inventor, astronaut and scientist Dr. Reed Richards' (Ioan Gruffudd) lifelong dream is close to being realized. He is spearheading a trip to outer space, to the center of a cosmic storm. There he hopes to unlock the secrets of the human genetic codes for the benefit of all humanity.

Extensive government grant cutbacks nearly dashed the visionary's hopes of the historic flight, until Reed accepted a financing deal with his old college rival, Victor Von Doom (Julian McMahon), now a billionaire industrialist.

Reed's crew for the mission includes his best friend, astronaut Ben Grimm (Michael Chiklis); Sue Storm (Jessica Alba), Von Doom's director of genetic research and Reed's ex-girlfriend; and Sue's hot-headed younger brother, pilot Johnny Storm (Chris Evans). With benefactor Von Doom in tow, the four set off for the exploration of a lifetime.

The mission is uneventful - until Reed discovers a miscalculation of the speed of the approaching storm. Within minutes, the event threshold is upon them. The space station is engulfed by turbulent clouds of cosmic radiation which genetically transforms the crew. Their DNA is irrevocably altered…and so is their future.

Back on earth, the effects of the exposure are quickly revealed. Reed gains the ability to stretch and contort his body into any shape he can imagine and, as leader of the group, is given the name Mr. Fantastic; Sue is able to render herself invisible and to create and project powerful force fields as Invisible Woman; Johnny becomes known as The Human Torch, as he can now engulf his body in flames and take flight at will; and Ben, whose freakish transmutation is the most shocking, becomes an orange-colored, rock-like, superhumanly strong creature, The Thing.

Together, they turn tragedy into triumph and catastrophe into coalition, using their unique and formidable powers to thwart the evil plans of their now steely-eyed, iron-fisted nemesis Dr. Doom and to protect the citizens of New York City against any threat that may arise.

Astronauts. Superheroes. Celebrities. To the world, they are the Fantastic Four. To each other, they are a family.

MPAA RATING
    PG-13, for sequences of intense action, and some suggestive content

RUNTIME
    2 hours, 3 minutes

RELEASE COMPANY
    20th Century Fox

GENRE
    Science-Fiction/Fantasy, Fantasy , Science-Fiction , Theatrical Release , Live Action

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    THis movie was great in my opinion. I thought the plot was well set up and only needed a little more developement. The action was a little low but it was enough. I don't understand how the critics give it a C -_- and I am a very harsh movie rater lol. Hoepfully there will be part 2.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

I just came back from this film and found it to be underwelming. It felt very much like a TV pilot movie to me, and not as developed and cohesive as a theatrical movie need be. While everyone was okay in their respective roles, and Mr. Fantastic looked familiar (and pretty good) it was not something that blew me away. Julian McMahon was one step away from becoming Balthazar, and Michael Chiklis - while good, reminded me a lot of a Stooge. Overall, it just didn't feel right, or complete. I don't know. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't 'fantastic' either. I definately preferred Batman for my superheroics.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Hehe Glitter, your like those real critics ! I think Fantastic Four was a bit underdeveloped because of the time and the number of characters. The story has 4 characters and 1 evil one and i don't think they just had the time or money to fully develope them. Hopefully, part 2 is more in depth.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    I just came back from this film and found it to be underwelming. It felt very much like a TV pilot movie to me, and not as developed and cohesive as a theatrical movie need be. While everyone was okay in their respective roles, and Mr. Fantastic looked familiar (and pretty good) it was not something that blew me away. Julian McMahon was one step away from becoming Balthazar, and Michael Chiklis - while good, reminded me a lot of a Stooge. Overall, it just didn't feel right, or complete. I don't know. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't 'fantastic' either. I definately preferred Batman for my superheroics.
    I agree! I mean, it had SOME good action scenes and SOME good dialogue and SOME good jokes, but overall, I would compare it to Catwoman.

Took my boys to see this one and while it wasn't great by any means it wasn't a dog either. For an action movie it was ok, my sons enjoyed it even though they never read the comic books like I did many years ago. I wish it had a few more action sequences.

Compared to Batman it wasn't as slow moving but not nearly as deep a story or as good overall. I wouldn't say either was great, Batman progressed slower than molasses and this was just merely ok from both a story and action standpoint.
    Last edited by Blackshade; 07-10-2005 at 01:59 AM.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    My best assessment of the movie is 9 year old boys love it. We went to the drive-in last night and saw this as part of a double feature. My grandson really liked it. He said it was better than Revenge of the Sith. (his opinion not mine) He liked the action and the jokes and then asked if I had any of the comic books around. I guess on the kid scale it would be about a 9.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I love superhero movies so I went to see it. This movie is definitely aimed at the younger audience. There were lots of kids (thirteen and under) at the theatre, and they all seemed to really enjoy it. It had a lot of silly one-liner jokes that kids loved. Well, I laughed too.

I thought it was kind of cute (for a kids movie).

i dont get why this movie was rated pg 13

didnt seem bad to me

i thought it was funny, but the story lacked

+ Reply to Thread