+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark Water - 07/8/2005

Dark Water - 07/8/2005

from rottentomatoes.com

Dark Water (PG-13)

THEATRICAL RELEASE
    Jul 8, 2005 Wide

CONSENSUS
    All the atmospherics in Dark Water can't make up for the lack of genuine scares.

CAST & CREW
    Jennifer Connelly , Ariel Gade , Dougray Scott
    Directed by Walter Salles

SYNOPSIS
    Acclaimed director Walter Salles ("Central Station," "The Motorcycle Diaries") helms and Academy Award®-winner Jennifer Connelly stars in DARK WATER, a psychological thriller featuring a stellar cast, including Academy Award®-nominees John C. Reilly, Tim Roth, and Pete Postlethwaite, as well as Dougray Scott and newcomer Ariel Gade. Based on a film by the creators of the Japanese version of “The Ring” comes this haunting, chilling film about a young mother who goes to extreme lengths to solve a mystery and protect her daughter. Dahlia Williams (JENNIFER CONNELLY) is starting a new life; newly separated with a new job and a new apartment, she's determined to put her relationship with her estranged husband behind her and devote herself to raising her daughter, Ceci. But when the strained separation disintegrates into a bitter custody battle, her situation takes a turn for the worse. Her new apartment - dilapidated, cramped, and worn - seems to take on a life of its own. Mysterious noises, persistent leaks of dark water, and strange happenings cause her imagination to run wild, sending her on a puzzling and mystifying pursuit to find out who is behind the endless mind games. As Dahlia frantically searches for the links between the riddles, the dark water seems to close around her. But one thing trumps all others in Dahlia's world: no matter what it is that's out there, she'll stop at nothing to find it.

MPAA RATING
    PG-13, for mature thematic material, frightening sequences, disturbing images and brief language

RUNTIME
    1 hour, 51 minutes

RELEASE COMPANY
    Buena Vista Pictures

GENRE
    Horror/Suspense , Theatrical Release , Adaptation , Remake, Haunted Houses

I thought this movie was really good. Jennifer Connelly is amazing as always. Anyone else check it out?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will. I'm glad to hear you liked it...I think she is a wonderful actress. Being a big Hitchcock fan, I love suspenseful movies, and this certainly sounds like it qualifies.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I'm waiting for NetFlix to send me the original Japanese version of Dark Water (same director who did the original version of The Ring).

For anyone else into foreign suspense/horror films, check out "A Tale of Two Sisters". It was very good and the cinematography was really effective. The remake rights to it were picked up by Dreamworks, but I don't know if they are doing anything with it...

Kao
    Is anyone as tired as I am of the constant whorage of great Japanese movies by American studios who them proceed to dumb down and make a substandard product? I wish the studios will grow a backbone and start to do unique things, but I guess that's asking too much. And then they wonder why people are using netflix and seeing independant movies more often these days.

Next up on the Hollywood whorage train:

Il Mare
    Old Boy

and the one that incenses me the most:
    Infernal Affairs

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    I haven't seen it yet, but I will. I'm glad to hear you liked it...I think she is a wonderful actress. Being a big Hitchcock fan, I love suspenseful movies, and this certainly sounds like it qualifies.
    No problem! I am a big Hitchcock fan too. I think you will probably like this movie - it definitely qualifies as that sort of "mess with your mind" kind of thriller.

Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    I thought this movie was really good. Jennifer Connelly is amazing as always. Anyone else check it out?
    Hi Toby,

Glad you liked it. I saw it in this awesome theater (one of those places you have dinner and then they wait on you - reclining seats and all that nice stuff) was on a very nice date and in a good mood and really had been looking forward to this particular movie. I was thinking it was going to be one of the best. So, maybe I built it up too much (I'm a big Jennifer C. fan)
    I was not thrilled with it. I would give it a C and say wait for the dvd. Definitely worth watching on DVD. Good acting by all (IMO) but, was just too slow. Some people were booing at the end. I wouldn't go that far but, was a let down.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Hi JamiLee, I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it as much as I did... to each his own People in the theater where I saw it all seemed to like it - jumping, laughing etc at all the right parts. Anyone else have any reviews?

Benjamin Franklin.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago in a theatre in Virginia. Hardly anyone there, so we were allowed to have a little more fun. I'm a known scary movie scaredy cat. I thought it was good and really enjoyed it. I thought it was scary in a fun, mess w/ your mind way, rather than some kind of slasher flick. I would reccomend it as well.

+ Reply to Thread