+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Poseidon Adventure set for Summer 2006 release

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Updated Poseidon Adventure set for Summer 2006 release

Cast line up for The Poseidon Adventure

Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss, Emmy Rossum and Mike Vogel have been cast in Wolfgang Peterson's forthcoming remake of The Poseidon Adventure.

The Hollywood Reporter says Andre Braugher is also in talk to join.

As per the 1972 film, the movie will follow the survivors onboard the S.S. Poseidon after it is upturned by a tsunami. The group have to work their way to the hull of the ship in order to escape before it sinks.

Russell will play an former firefighter who is traveling with his daughter (Rossum) and her boyfriend (Mark Vogel). Dreyfuss has been cast as a gay man who has just been dumped.

Production is due to begin later this month.
    http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_8508.php/Cast_line_up_for_The_Poseidon_ Adventure

Production Begins on 'Poseidon'
    Warner Bros. has officially announced that production is underway on director Wolfgang Petersen's Poseidon.

A remake of the 1972 action-adventure The Poseidon Adventure, the movie tells the story of a luxury cruise ship that is capsized by a rogue wave in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean and the small group of survivors who find themselves unlikely allies in a battle for their lives. As the unstable vessel rapidly floods with water, they face unimaginable odds and life-altering decisions in their desperate fight to the surface.

Written by Mark Prostosevich, the movie stars Kurt Russell as first-class passenger Robert Ramsey and Josh Lucas as Dylan Johns, a professional gambler who makes a living at the ship's poker tables. Also along for the ride are Emmy Rossum as Ramsey's young daughter Jennifer; Mike Vogel as Christian, her fiance; Jacinda Barrett as Maggie, a single workaholic mother who booked the cruise as a gift to her precocious eight-year-old son Conor, played by Jimmy Bennett; Mia Maestro as the stowaway Elena; Andre Braugher as beleaguered Captain Bradford; and Richard Dreyfuss as Richard Nelson, a man contemplating suicide moments before the giant wave strikes.

Wolfgang Petersen is no stranger to high-seas adventure. He previously directed Das Boot (1982) and The Perfect Storm (2000). He most recently launched 1,000 ships in the name of love (and war) in last summer's Troy.

Poseidon will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures and is set for a Summer 2006 release.
    http://www.empiremovies.com/index.php?id=4360

I love the orignial version. I haven't read the book, but I hope this one is good.

I love the original too, rt1ky I remember seeing it in the theater as a little kid and being absolutely terrified. I was out in the lobby with my older brother by about the mid-way point (it scared him too!). It was years before I could watch it again. Now, I actually really enjoy the movie. So many kitschy moments, good acting and groovy fashions!

A remake could be interesting. I just hope they don't let the special effects overwhelm the story. The original movie was so compelling and scary, even without all the fancy computer effects that are possible now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Oh I loved the original!!! I even got my 12 year old son hooked on it and ended up buying the movie for him one Christmas!
    I will definitely be in line to see this when it comes on at the movies..so many actors/actresses I love.....!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey
    What's with all the remakes lately?

Can't anyone come up with any original thoughts anymore?????

^That's what I'd like to know!! I'm getting so tired of "classics" being remade. Sure some are better, of course they'll be better with all the new movie technology now.

Also, all these tv shows being made into movies, geez! I wish they'd leave the classics alone. In 30, 40 years, will you younger kids be seeing remakes of ET, Jaws, etc.?? Probably. Will Citizen Kane, Casablanca be next?

As far as this Poseidon...there are some great actors in this new one, but they can't hold a candle to actors like Gene Hackman, Shelly Winters, Red Buttons, etc. Just my opinion.

An interview with star Josh Lucas

But first, Poseidon. Why remake one of the best-known disaster movies of the '70s? "I would say it's a complete regenesis of that idea. It's quite different, and I think that's one of the things that makes this particular movie ring true. The story is exactly the same story, in the sense that a cruise ship gets hit by a rogue wave and flips over, but every single character is entirely different, and the structure of the movie is very different."

"The technology has moved on. You watch the original, and they jump over a chair like they're risking their lives, because they don't have the technology or the money in that film to do anything. It's actually not a bad film; it's quite interesting in certain ways. But the technology that's available with CGI but also with sets. We're doing a lot of stuff where they built these mind-blowing sets; basically huge chunks of an eight-storey cruise ship upside down. It's on hydraulics so the whole thing collapses and falls apart when you're actually on it. It's pretty spectacular."

"I think, if there's a director for this movie it's Wolfgang. He knows not only water, but confined spaces in water particularly brilliantly. That was one of our first conversations him saying that to me; look, he knows how to do this, and so far I agree!

"With Poseidon, you say, 'Honestly, why not remake it?' There's certain films where they're too creative to begin with, and why would you want to undercut it or put yourself in the line of fire, but I think Poseidon is a different story. Poseidon, to be honest, is a movie that can be quite a bit better than the original."
    Link

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    What's with all the remakes lately?

Can't anyone come up with any original thoughts anymore?????
    That would mean the brain works.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi
    ^That's what I'd like to know!! I'm getting so tired of "classics" being remade. Sure some are better, of course they'll be better with all the new movie technology now.

Also, all these tv shows being made into movies, geez! I wish they'd leave the classics alone. In 30, 40 years, will you younger kids be seeing remakes of ET, Jaws, etc.?? Probably. Will Citizen Kane, Casablanca be next?

As far as this Poseidon...there are some great actors in this new one, but they can't hold a candle to actors like Gene Hackman, Shelly Winters, Red Buttons, etc. Just my opinion.
    I could not agree more with you. The original was great for it's time and while the actors in the new one are good I need to repeat your "they can't hold a candle..." I feel the same way about Oceans 11- While the actors in the new Oceans 11 were good, Clooney, Pitt et al., they just cannot compare to Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Peter Lawford, Joey Bishop, Angie Dickinson et al...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I saw the original something like 24 times in theaters when it was originally released. I was going with a girl who had a thing for Gene Hackman; I had a thing for her. It got to the point I could step out for more refreshments and/or sanity break and still follow the movie in my head seeing as the dialogue and pacing were all too familiar by that time.

At least the remake isn't going to try and be the same characters and storyline, but that begs the question of why they even needed the original name to begin with. Couldn't they have paid the fee if they had to for the idea of a cruise ship overturning and given it its own title? Without the preacher driving them on, how can it be the Poseidon Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    At least the remake isn't going to try and be the same characters and storyline, but that begs the question of why they even needed the original name to begin with. Couldn't they have paid the fee if they had to for the idea of a cruise ship overturning and given it its own title? Without the preacher driving them on, how can it be the Poseidon Adventure?
    Exaaaactly! It's like when they did the movie The Scarlet Letter and then changed the ending. As I remember, Demi Moore said something asinine like "Well, not that many people read the book."

If you say you're doing a remake of a film and yet you keep none of the characters, then what's the point? Just call it something else and tell us that it was "inspired" by the older film.

Obviously, the special effects are much more advanced now. That doesn't necessarily mean that the movie will be better. Special effects can't replace acting and a good script and the heart of the original. If it gets good reviews, I still may see it - I like the actors who have been cast thus far.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Exaaaactly! It's like when they did the movie The Scarlet Letter and then changed the ending. As I remember, Demi Moore said something asinine like "Well, not that many people read the book."

If you say you're doing a remake of a film and yet you keep none of the characters, then what's the point? Just call it something else and tell us that it was "inspired" by the older film.
    RE: Dear Demi: most high schoolers read the book at some point in time for class.

Wasn't the original Poseidon Adventure film based on a book?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast