Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: War of the Worlds - 06/29/05

War of the Worlds - 06/29/05

from rottentomatoes.com

War of the Worlds (PG-13)

THEATRICAL RELEASE
    Jun 29, 2005 Wide

CONSENSUS
    War of the Worlds delivers on the thrill and paranoia of H.G. Wells classic novel.

CAST & CREW
    Tom Cruise, Miranda Otto, Dakota Fanning
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

SYNOPSIS
    On June 29th, 2005, Earth goes to war. From Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures comes "War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring international superstar Tom Cruise. and starring international superstar Tom Cruise. A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells's seminal classic, the sci-fi adventure thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family fighting to survive it. The film also stars Dakota Fanning, Miranda Otto, Justin Chatwin, and Tim Robbins.

Cruise stars as Ray Ferrier, a divorced dockworker and less-than-perfect father. Soon after his ex-wife (Miranda Otto) and her new husband drop off his teenage son Robbie (Justin Chatwin) and young daughter Rachel (Dakota Fanning) for a rare weekend visit, a strange and powerful lightning storm touches down.

Moments later, at an intersection near his house, Ray witnesses an extraordinary event that will change all their lives forever. A towering three-legged war machine emerges from deep beneath the earth and, before anyone can react, incinerates everything in sight. An ordinary day has suddenly become the most extraordinary event of their lifetimes - the first strike in a catastrophic alien attack on Earth.

Ray scrambles to get his children away from this merciless new enemy, embarking on a journey that will take them across the ravaged countryside, where they become caught in the desperate tide of refugees fleeing from an extraterrestrial army of Tripods.

But no matter where they run, there is no safety, no refuge only Ray's unconquerable will to protect the ones he loves.

MPAA RATING
    PG-13, for frightening sequences of sci-fi violence and disturbing images

RUNTIME
    1 hour, 57 minutes

RELEASE COMPANY
    DreamWorks Distribution LLC

GENRE
    Science-Fiction/Fantasy, Adventure, War, Epic, Theatrical Release, Remake, Future/Futuristic Worlds, Based On A Novel, Science Fiction

well I'm not letting tom's cuckoo behavior keep me from watching this movie.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it this coming weekend. Hope it doesn't dissapoint.

I'll wait and watch it when it comes out on DvD.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Me too, Nemeses. Tom's publicity campaign backfired, and I'm too sick of his simpering "lovestruck" mug to go out and pay $10 to see more of it. I've had enough Tom, thankyouverymuch.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I am going to see this on Friday and can't wait. The reviews have been pretty good so far.

Took two of my kids to see this today and we all really enjoyed this movie. Even though I knew how the movie would turn out it really had me on the edge of my seat a few times. Tom Cruise was not done up like a hero at all, just a guy with a lot of faults put in the situation of trying to protect his kids. I know a lot of people on here don't care for Cruise (as evidenced by the Tomkat thread) but I think most will enjoy this movie. It is classic Speilberg in the scarry chase type film.

That's not to say it is a great movie as I think it is somewhat limited by the original HG Wells' novel. I mean technologically advanced aliens who have been watching Earth for a million years preparing for an attack yet they don't realize that our common bacteria is going to do them in. Also how the aliens attack is a little dubious
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they have previously buried their tripod killing machines thousands of years before in many places on Earth
    , but at least that yields a great initial attack by the aliens. It has some limitations but overall it is a pretty good 4th of July movie.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I saw the movie today. I was prepared not to like it for a couple of reasons. 1. I love the 1953 movie, as a kid, the sound of the deathray terrified me. 2. I'm not really a big fan of Tom Cruise. That said, I actually enjoyed the film. I too was on the edge of my seat a couple of times. Spielberg really knows how to give us a scare. Mostly though, I think that I enjoyed it because it really was about how an average person would cope with the situation. I will disagree with Blackshade on one thing, Ray is hero, just not on a grand epic scale. He isn't a scientist or soldier, he's just a dad, trying to keep his family alive. Given the situation, that's pretty heroic. Granted, there are some problems with the story, but they apply to the book as much as they do the movie.

I'd have to say it was worth seeing at the theater.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

This movie lacked suspense and special effects. The movie looked more like a bad 1950s horror flick with slow moving unspectacular special effects. The alien/machine invasion never exhibited the creativity, special effects, and suspense shown in The Matrix.

The conflict between Tom Cruise and his son in the movie became very tiring, distracting, and irritating with a very predictable ending. I also didn't like the implied senseless murder by Tom Cruise of a harmless eccentric man played by Tim Robbins. The murder did not alleviate the ongoing danger of being discovered by the aliens/machines in a basement.

The film did not attempt to explain various aspects of the alien invasion like why the aliens went from making human's disappear with lightning bolts from their gigantic tripod claws to impaling and draining humans of blood along with storing them in baskets below their suction cup cavities. There also was no explanation for why there was only a few groups of military ground patrols and no air attacks on the oversized alien tripods with the current high demand daisy cutter bombs which contain thousands of pounds of explosives. The plane crash in the neighborhood of Tom Cruise's ex-wife implied that it should have been possible to at least launch a military air defense. We never saw the protective force shields in use by the aliens that were alluded to
    by a news woman at the scene of the plane crash.

The only scene that approached suspenseful tension for me was watching a whole town go mad and assaulting Tom and his son, during their long trek to Boston, to gain possession of the only repaired and running vehicle after the aliens invisibly disabled other motor vehicles.

Dakota Fanning continues to be an impressive young talent with a very long and bright future as an actress.

As a long-time Steven Spielberg fan, I expected much more and was very disappointed.

Loved this!!

My daughter and I went to see this last night. We were on the edge of our seats and the movie flew by (you know how if the movie is not really good it goes slow)

She knew nothing of the 50s one and I had forgotten about it. I'm not sure if I ever saw it.... I loved how Cruises character "morphs into a good dad". I agree with the poster who said Ray was a hero.

I think if you dissect any movie you will be disappointed. There are flaws in all movies and over analyzing can ruin the best.

If you are looking for perfection skip this. For really good entertainment, go see it!! We loved it and would recommend it to everyone. (I wouldn't bring little kids)
    Some lady had a couple small children and I thought that was terrible. This was pretty scary. To a little kid (eekkkkk)!!

spoiler alert = scroll down to read

So far as Ray having to murder Robbin's character. Yes this was very disturbing!! But, I think Spielberg was showing how far a parent will go to protect their child. I'd kill for my child and most people would right?
    He had to "quiet" him. If he didn't - then they all would have died. I thought this was genius.
    I also thought the very cheesy ending (mom right there and the son made it) was brilliant! Spielberg knows not to tick off the viewers and almost gives a "reward" for all that "bad stuff".

I am curious to see the old version now. Just now reading about it and thinking about it made me like the movie even more.
    Last edited by JamiLee; 06-30-2005 at 11:37 AM.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    well I'm not letting tom's cuckoo behavior keep me from watching this movie.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it this coming weekend. Hope it doesn't dissapoint.
    Wolf I think he's over-exposed with Katie too (I feel a little ill when they come on t.v)

never even thought about him as anyone other than the character he was playing. He's such a good actor. This was good. Really good! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast