+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superman 5: Superman Returns

Superman 5: Superman Returns

Here's an article about the filming currently underway for the 5th Superman movie. This one stars Brandon Routh as Clark Kent/Superman, and Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. This is one I may go see unless the previews look really bad. I enjoyed the other Superman movies, although the 3rd and 4th ones were not good. It's hard for me to picture anyone other than Christopher Reeve as Superman though, but this guy they have at least has the 'Superman look', the clean cut handsomeness that I'd want in Superman. Thank god they didn't get one of these cookie cutter nasty unwashed looking actor types like Colin Ferrel or Johnny Depp or someone like that. I do like the change for the Lois Lane character. I always hated Margot Kidder as Lois Lane -- chain-smoking unattractive/ugly woman with no feminine qualities and a voice that sounded like a foghorn I think Kate Bosworth more properly fits the image in my mind of what/who Superman and Clark Kent's girlfriend/love interest should be.

So anyway, I hope they do a good job on this movie.

The article

Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel
    'Super' 5
    Five things you need to know about ''Superman Returns'' -- EW goes on the set in Australia to investigate the costume, the leading lady, and why the director chose Down Under instead of the Big Apple by Jeff Jensen

1. The Suit Is TIGHT And we don't mean ''cool'' though it is cool, a nifty riff on the '40s Max Fleischer cartoon/'30s Joe Shuster-drawn Supes. Insanely detailed, too: That S on Superman's chest is composed of hundreds of tiny diamond-encrusted S's that no one will ever see. Nifty. But tight. ''Very confining,'' says Brandon Routh, who's playing the Man of Steel. On days when he's wearing the flight harness underneath, it's a real pain in the butt. And back. Thighs and hips, too. ''But once you get past that which is sometimes hard it's also very empowering,'' says Routh. ''First time I put it on, I felt...stronger. Like a different level of who I am. It makes playing the character much easier.'' (P.S.: In case of emergency, yes, there is a zipper in the shorts.)

2. 'Superman Returns' Should Have Been 'Superman 3' While technically not a sequel, director Bryan Singer's film picks up five years after the events of Superman 2. (Consider those embarrassing Supermans 3 and 4 forgotten.) ''It puts the first two films in a vague sense of history,'' says Singer, whose respect for the first Superman film is such, he sought director Richard Donner's blessing before taking the job of relaunching the franchise. He even plans to incorporate unused footage of Marlon Brando's performance as Jor-El, Superman's Kryptonian daddy. His movie opens with Superman spiritually lost and in space. His inevitable return to Earth elicits surprising reactions, especially from his old flame and a certain bald archenemy. ''It's a story about what happens when messiahs come back and how we embrace them or not,'' says Singer. ''On a personal level, it's a story about what happens when old boyfriends come back into your life.''

3. Superman Has a Superman Coach Clark Kent comes easy to Routh. ''Or so my family and friends say. I do tend to be clumsy,'' he says. (The real-life black-framed eyeglasses are the clincher.) But to bring Superman to life, Routh sought counsel from a movement coach to nail the character's subtleties: ''We worked on posture. Spine straight, hips forward, neck in line just a clean motion moving through the world.'' There have been take-home benefits. ''I slouch less,'' he laughs.

4. Lois Lane Has a Coach Too Her name is Katharine Hepburn. ''I watched a lot of Hepburn to prepare for Lois, particularly The Philadelphia Story and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner,'' says Kate Bosworth, who is said to have edged out Claire Danes and Keri Russell for the role of Lois, which has her wearing a brown wig over her natural blond locks. ''Hepburn is a great model for how I see Lois strong but fragile.''

5. Superman's Metropolis Isn't the Big Apple The Reeve Superman films used New York as their Metropolis; the fictitious city even had a Statue of Liberty. Not here. A peek within the film's art department revealed a gleaming neo-Deco city that will be built mostly out of pixels. Mixing vintage and modern elements, Singer hopes to make a movie that's timeless. ''I want to make a movie that in the future, someone can pop in a disc or a crystal or something and not go, 'Wow! This must have been really interesting back in the early aughts!'''

(Posted:06/16/05)
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

There will only ever be one Superman for me. I don't think I could bear to see anyone else but Christopher Reeve in the role.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

New Superman Returns trailer is up!! Checkout quicktime.com if you want to see it!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Oh my god. I HATE the idea of Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I'm willing to give her and the movie the benefit of the doubt, though. I was distraught when the Nicholas Cage rumors were flying about, so anything has to be better. Sometimes movies can really surprise me. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by this one.

Here's a picture of her in the role that i found.
    http://www.us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/03...%20Kate&seq=15
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Yeah, Kate Bosworth is a concern. I'm uncertain that she has the sass and the confidence to pull off Lois Lane. But Brandon Routh looks great as Clark/Supes, and Kevin Spacey will make a phenomenally good Lex Luthor.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave View Post
    There will only ever be one Superman for me. I don't think I could bear to see anyone else but Christopher Reeve in the role.
    Believe it or not people once said that about George Reeves. Time pases. And it's not like Reeve originated the role--his "ownership" of it is an emotional connection.

Superman, like most characters who reach mythic status, tends to transcend any one vision. There are certain constants of course. His civilian half has to be a bit nerdy. Both Clark and Supes have to be kind of "Aw shucks, M'am". The reds and blues (although he probably could be adjusted out of tights were you can see his er... package). The rest (even Lois) have been tinkered with on and off for a heck of a long time. Christopher Reeve, for all of the mythic status he's gained--mostly AFTER his accident--is merely a popularly accepted face for that. It's like saying that Lynda Carter = Wonder Woman, simply because she was so prominent bouncing up and down in that costume for a few years. The role existed long before her (two other women played it before her--one in a pilot which didn't get picked up and the other, Cathy Lee Crobsy, in a TV movie), and in comic books for decades before that. The comic book versions of Superman and Wonder Women don't even LOOK all that much like the actors who played them, other than really superficial details.

I so understand the idea of having a personal connection with an image of a character, but personally I like to see things reimagined. If I have a problem with this new Superman, it's the exact reverse--that from everything I've heard he was cast BECAUSE he looked and sounded so much like Reeve, and he's going to be playing to role as pretty much a direct continuation of Superman III (allegedly Superman IV is being ignored). Frankly I'd rather have seen the entire franchise "rebooted" instead, like they did with Batman.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

The new trailer is awesome. I was a little worried when I heard who was playing Superman. He played on One Life to Live for a while, and he was not a great actor, imo.

I think Tom Welling was made for this part, while I understand that him playing Superman in the film would be a huge conflict of interest...

I'm dying to see this film, though. Anything Superman is alright by me.

I also would have loved to see Tom Welling as Superman, but Smallville is all about going the no-fly route, which I like. To me Tom Welling is a much better Superman. Somehow I no longer care to see a Superman in tights swooshing between tall buildings and Lois Lane working with him by day and having no clue that Clark is the same as Superman.
    At least Spiderman had a mask to hide him but with Superman I don't buy the supposedly smart Lois being all dumb and blind at the same time. I did once , but I'm tired of that old formula.
    So I don't know if I'll see this movie.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Newbie
    Had to repost cause my first posts were taken down due to not providing links. My apologies.

Was just noting that the new Supes flick has been getting overwhelmingly positive reviews. Right now it has an unofficial tomato meter rating of 100% (12/12) over at rottentomatoes. Bodes well for Singer and Co.

oh god...another one? I'm getting bored of Superman..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast