+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Superman 5: Superman Returns

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Has anyone else hear about the incredibly stupid rumours/gossip/articles going around that Superman is gay?

Superman is an American Icon and has been around for over 75 yrs. Why in the world do people in this country try to tear something like that down??

I personally was not planning to see this movie as I felt it would be just a remake of the Christopher Reeve clasic and had no desire to go. Now after hearing all this crap I just might. But on the other hand this might be the genius plan of a wacked publiscist to get people to rally round Superman and go see the movie and have it make a lot of money.
    OK, Googled this topic and found the original Advocate article--nobody said Superman was gay, they just said he appealed to gay kids because he had this secret closeted self that he couldn't tell anyone about. Also of course because he was an attractive male in tight clothes, but the main point was that superheroes in general were appealing to gay kids because they had to pretend to be someone they weren't in order to pass. I have no idea how that got transmuted into Superman being gay, but even the (gay) director of the film is scratching his head over this one, and saying Superman is probably the most heterosexual hero he's ever directed.
    Here's the link, I hope.
    http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid31748.asp

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Wow, no one going to see this? We went last night... my sig. other fell asleep in the middle! Right when Lex and Supes were beginning their confrontation on Lex's new "land"---therefore missing probably the most exciting part of the movie. I however, did enjoy it, and especially like MAJOR SPOILER
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that he and Lois had a son he didn't know about... I was totally surprised when that started to come out. Also that Richard is not a jerk, but in fact a really nice guy. Not too clear to me if he knows he's not the father. It certainly didn't seem like he knew Supes was the dad. Gives lots more "story" to play out in future sequels.
    . Also, no offense to Christopher R., but I think this Superman may be cuter...although his Clark is, if anything, even geekier and less appealing. I never did like CR's mouth...looked too prim for my idea of Superman.
    There was a nice dedication to Dana and Christopher in the credits.
    The theater wasn't that crowded at all...of course it was being shown at least every hour, and Pirates had just opened (theater lobby full of kids dressed as pirates).
    Anyone else gone? Even if you are a CR fan give it a shot. Did anyone else notice that there were times when Superman almost looked photoshopped into looking like a cartoon character? Is that my imagination?
    Last edited by Amanda; 07-11-2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fixed spoiler tags :)

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Did anyone else notice that there were times when Superman almost looked photoshopped into looking like a cartoon character? Is that my imagination?
    I thought that a few times too, like he looked fake. He'd be there looking normal, it would cut to someone/something else and when it showed him again he looked almost plastic. Still a good movie, but I was a little distracted by that 'effect'.
    Wag more, bark less

Superman not to Return again?

Haven't seen this movie yet (I do plan to, preferably in an IMAX theater as my friend suggested), but thought this article might be of interest to you all:

EXCLUSIVE: Super ($200 Million) Man or Else?

Will Hollywood blockbuster budgets continue to fly "up, up and away?" Not necessarily.

At least, not at Warner Bros. Pictures. After a $225 million "Pirates of the Caribbean" sailed into port, taking the wind out of "Superman Returns'" $205 million Spandex, Warner Bros. executives are said to be circumspect as to whether the Man of Steel will fly again.

Talent agency insiders with ties to the film tell TMZ that Warner Bros. Pictures president and COO Alan Horn has informed agents that a sequel hinges on whether grosses of "Superman Returns" can crest the $200 million mark domestically. What's more, the studio plans to shave millions - many millions - off any "Superman" sequel's budget. (Amusingly, in the current "Superman Returns," Lois Lane pleads with Lex Luthor, "But millions will die! " It turns out she was right on the money.)

As Variety's box office guru Ben Fritz noted last July 4th, "Superman Returns is off to a strong start, albeit not as fast as a speeding bullet. Warner Bros. superhero tent pole grossed a solid $52.5 million on its opening weekend and $74 million over the five-day Fourth of July frame. Since its Wednesday opening, the Bryan Singer-helmed franchise restart has taken in $106 million."
    Talent agency insiders, speaking on the condition of anonymity, insist that Horn is so concerned about being burned financially by ionospheric "Superman" special effects costs that any sequel's budget would cost far less than Bryan Singer's quarter billion dollar baby: a meager $150 million. That's a whopping $35 million less than its predecessor was green lit at, and roughly $55 million less than "Superman Returns" alleged final negative cost. So much for a getting a raise.

However, no one could blame Horn for being cautious. Despite opening at No. 1 in all its territories, overseas, the Man of Steel is starting to look just a bit rusty. The just-ended World Cup meant that Warner Bros. took a pass on European and Latin American territories, and its second weekend in release overseas, "Superman Returns" dipped 55% to take in $9 million from 1,800 prints in 14 markets.

We're bracing to hear how director Bryan Singer will react to this newfound fiscal restraint.

Our guess: Not well.

Says one executive involved in the production and financing of "Superman Returns," "They can try and spin it as 'There are certain economies of scale that come from the making of the first one, blah blah blah. But the reality is, it's harder to play in a smaller sandbox and still push the envelope."

Calls place to Horn were not returned, and a studio spokeswoman declined to comment on the fiscal retrenchment.
    Article from: http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/10/exclus...n-man-or-else/
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Haven't seen this movie yet (I do plan to, preferably in an IMAX theater as my friend suggested), but thought this article might be of interest to you all:

Article from: http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/10/exclus...n-man-or-else/
    Yeah, this is unfortunate cause there's so many different directions they could go with the sequels, plus add the addition of 1 posibbly 2 supervillains, it'll be a shame if it doesn't reach 200 mil and a sequel isn't greenlit. This weekend is extremely critical for Supes cause next weekend is going to be super-crowded. Needs to pull in at least 11-12 mil (preferably 14-15 mil) just to stay on pace for 200 mil.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    I thought that a few times too, like he looked fake. He'd be there looking normal, it would cut to someone/something else and when it showed him again he looked almost plastic. Still a good movie, but I was a little distracted by that 'effect'.
    Right! Plastic! Like you were looking at a Superman action figure! Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Maybe they are going to save money next time by computer generating the flying scenes.

i saw this movie is really good

It was pretty good, Brandon Routh made a great Clark Kent/Superman. The story was pretty intriguing as well. Plus I loved Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, Kitty's character was also interesting and Parker Posey did her well.

I didn't really like Kate Bosworth, I thought she felt too young. Or maybe it's just the fact that I don't really like Lois Lane. I never got was Clark sees in her, she's whiny, bossy and a know-it-all.

I liked the twist on the end...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Superman 5: Superman Returns

Link Here

Sorry, Lois Lane. The Man of Steel is officially off the market.

Superman Returns actor Brandon Routh married his longtime girlfriend, actress Courtney Ford, on Saturday at the beautiful El Capitan Ranch in Santa Barbara, PEOPLE confirms exclusively.

"Even though it cooled off into the evening, I can only feel the warmth and love in this breath-taking setting," wedding planner Katie Tiffany of Tiffany Weddings said.

The bride wore a Junko Yoshioka sheath dress with Chantilly lace and platinum beading and topped off her look with pave-diamond earrings by Neil Lane fitting since her engagement ring is also by Neil Lane. The groom traded in his tights and cape for a cashmere suit by Looysen Fine Clothing.

Routh, 28, proposed to Ford, 29, in Glastonbury, England, during last summer's Superman press tour. But the lovebirds kept the news hush-hush until he was done promoting the film. "They were so excited! It was hard to keep it to themselves," says a family friend.

The couple met four years ago. "I used to work at Lucky Strike," Routh told PEOPLE in January, referring to the hip bowling alley in Hollywood. "I was a bartender. And her brother was having his [wedding] rehearsal dinner party there."

Added Ford: "He met my whole family the day he met me."

The pair, who told PEOPLE they like to watch DVDs particularly the special features together, were apart for five months while Routh was shooting Superman Returns in Australia, but Ford says they relied on "nightly phone calls" to remain close.

Speaking with PEOPLE in June, Routh called Ford his personal kryptonite. "She brings me to my knees," he said.
    Congratulations to them!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234