+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superman 5: Superman Returns

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeans View Post
    Official Tomatometer up over at rotten tomatoes. Currently @ 100% (7/7). Unofficial meter @ 94% (20/21 I believe). Altogether so far you've got 27/28 reviews giving it the thumbs up. That's pretty amazing...
    The only bad review I've seen is The New Yorker. Not the place I really trust to review this type of film, altho once in a blue moon they do like this kind of thing.

Can you SMELLLLLLLLL what Gina is pouting about?
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave View Post
    There will only ever be one Superman for me. I don't think I could bear to see anyone else but Christopher Reeve in the role.
    I 2nd that.....I really wished they hadn't remade it....Christopher Reeve was superman .....and it needed to be left there.

I just saw this this afternoon! Great! Wonderful Two thumbs up

I loved Reeve, but have to give it up for Brandon R. A great replacement for Superman who emobodies what was done and adds more. Wonderful demeaner in the film, great blue eyes, chemistry with Lois Lane.... I really liked Kate Bosworth. She was very good. Lex Luthor was evil of course.. Spacey was great again. I was totally entertained.

The only thing I HATED was the 1/2 hour of pre-show ads that were shown. A full 10-15 min. of local advertising which was boring as H@(@&* followed by too many movie previews. If you go to a 4 pm show, don't worry about showing up until 4:30pm. No need to rush. : ohno
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I've never been a big Superman fan (I'm more a Batman fan) but went to see the movie tonight and have to say that I enjoyed the movie. The special effects were great, Kevin Spacey was awesome and Brandon Routh was better than I expected (and cuter than I thought too!)

I got tickled at my son because one of the first things he said during the movie was that the guy playing Jimmy Olsen was Mimi-Siku from the movie Jungle to Jungle (with Tim Allen). It is..( I checked it out on imdb.com-Real name is Sam Huntington)
    How my son figured that out so quickly, I don't know...

Jimmy Olsen

Mimi Siku
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Wow... those 2 pics look NOTHING alike. Maybe it was the voice?

Has anyone else hear about the incredibly stupid rumours/gossip/articles going around that Superman is gay?

Superman is an American Icon and has been around for over 75 yrs. Why in the world do people in this country try to tear something like that down??

I personally was not planning to see this movie as I felt it would be just a remake of the Christopher Reeve clasic and had no desire to go. Now after hearing all this crap I just might. But on the other hand this might be the genius plan of a wacked publiscist to get people to rally round Superman and go see the movie and have it make a lot of money.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-03-2006 at 01:20 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Saw it this weekend with my kids and overall I liked it but it ain't the best comic book adaption as I have read by some. There are major holes in the story, I wish Kevin Spacey had played Lex a bit differently, and there was zero chemistry between Kate Bosworth and Brandon Routh, and while Routh pulled off the action sequences I thought he is acting was only average. But the movie did deliver in spades in terms of visual candy with Routh flying and other great shots. I would definitely recommend it but I wouldn't give it a A rating, it was a solid B for me.

Saw it last night with my husband and son and his girlfriend and we all gave it
    We saw it in an IMAX theatre and it was amazing. So worth the extra $1.25 we paid for the IMAX. We loved it so much we're talking about going to see it again.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Has anyone else hear about the incredibly stupid rumours/gossip/articles going around that Superman is gay?

Superman is an American Icon and has been around for over 75 yrs. Why in the world do people in this country try to tear something like that down??

I personally was not planning to see this movie as I felt it would be just a remake of the Christopher Reeve clasic and had no desire to go. Now after hearing all this crap I just might. But on the other hand this might be the genius plan of a wacked publiscist to get people to rally round Superman and go see the movie and have it make a lot of money.
    I keep catching the edge of that story...they ARE talking about the comic book character, right? Not one of the actors? What's the rationale? Because he never commits to Lois they think he's on the down-low? I'm sorry, too silly a discussion to take seriously, unless someone can explain it to me better.
    And surely you don't mean to say "tear down", but rather, "not that there's anything wrong with that"....

FORT Newbie
    Saw the movie for a second time on Saturday, and it was actually even more enjoyable the second time around. May have been the atmosphere. First time I went was a 5:00 showing at a smaller theatre during the week(even though it was still packed); second time was a 7:30 showing at much larger theatre over the weekend (extremely packed). The movie was great both times though. Contemplating seeing it again with my roommate this weekend. I give the movie very solid B+ or 4/5 stars.

Routh as Clark Kent: B (He did a good job as Clark, with some flashes of brilliance; I imagine that he will only get better with this experience under his belt)
    Routh as Supes: A- (As about as good as its gonna get after Reeve. There was one scene with Kitty though where I heard Clark instead of Supes)
    Kate as Lois: B (She did a good job, my only gripe is I want to be a little bit feistier)
    Spacey as Lex: A-/B+ (Spacey IS Lex. Period. Him beatin the snot out of Supes on NK sealed the deal for me. Would like to see more of that menacing side of Lex in the sequels in whatever capacity they use him)
    Posey as Kitty: B+ (Thought she played off of Spacey's Lex very well. Was a nice compliment.)
    Huntington as Jimmy Olsen: A+ (I think he gave the best overall performance)
    Langella as Perry White: A
    Marsden as Richard White: B+ (Thought he played his role within the triangle very well. No complaints)
    Tristan as Jason White (the kid): A (I know there were many who thought it was blasphemous to even introduce the kid, but at the end of the day, I enjoyed the kid. Plus, it opens up the sequels for future conflict...)

The cinematography was on point. The plot had a couple of holes but when it was all said and done it didn't negate from me thoroughly enjoying this movie. Hope the movie has good legs, cause it deserves to be successful and I would hate for them to not make any sequels especially given the many different directions they could take, supervillians and all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast