+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superman 5: Superman Returns

I agree with the Christopher Reeve thing, even though it is an emotional bond with the character, I'm just not ready to see a new Superman that is identical to Reeve.

I agree that they should have just started over, I love the concept with Smallville, they should have gone that route.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

FORT Newbie
    I like the trailer. I have my reservations about the movie though. I like the fact that Kevin Spacey is Lex Luthor. That's Awesome.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV View Post
    I agree that they should have just started over, I love the concept with Smallville, they should have gone that route.
    I'm a fan of the Smallvillve series also, but a continuation to the big screen wouldn't have worked for several reasons. Namely though:

1. It would have alienated way too many diehard comicbook fans, many of whom don't care for the Smallville series at all due to the fact that it strays a good deal from the original mythos and various other issues they have with the show...

2. WB essentially would have had to wait for Smallville to end first in order for Tom to become Superman.

3. From my understanding Tom didn't want the role to begin with for fear of being typecasted for the rest of his career.

It definitely would have been interesting to see Tom in the tights but for what it's worth, from what I've seen and, now from what I've read in the reviews, Routh is going to own this role.

I'm probably the only person to feel this way, and it is in no way anything against the late Christopher Reeve as a person, but I just was never into him as an actor. I loved "Somewhere in Time" but would have still liked it even if someone else played his part.

I was heartbroken when he became paralyzed because nobody should go through that and he and his wife from what I've read were great people. But it doesn't bother me to see a different actor in the role. Some actors do seem to own a role for which no other actor could do justice. I just don't feel attached that way to the last actor to have played the part .

Now Tombstone? I feel Val Kilmer owned Doc Holliday and as a result didn't enjoy Dennis Quaid's (who I love) portrayment in Wyatt Earp.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 06-19-2006 at 05:36 PM.

CCL
    They're advertising the heck out of this one. I went to the movies the other day and they show random commercials and snippets before the theater darkens and the "real" commercials and previews start. And they kept showing promos for Superman, in addition to some commercial about Superman needing batteries for his alarm clock. And then the previews started, and guess what was the first movie they showed a preview for?
    I don't think I'll see this movie - doesn't really seem appealing to me. I'll wait til it comes out on video.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave View Post
    There will only ever be one Superman for me. I don't think I could bear to see anyone else but Christopher Reeve in the role.
    When I posted this a year ago, it was true. But now that some time has passed since Reeve's death (and because I've seen the commercials), I am ready for the new Superman. I am glad they are sticking with the original concept. I grew up watching the Superman movies (especially number II, it was the best!) over and over with my little brother, so there is definitely a strong nostalgic element at play for me. However, I like that the the new guy looks so much like Reeve. I am looking forward to the movie.

Kate Bosworth? Meh. But Kevin Spacey will make a great Lex. The man is brilliant.
    Last edited by oneTVslave; 06-20-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Newbie
    Official Tomatometer up over at rotten tomatoes. Currently @ 100% (7/7). Unofficial meter @ 94% (20/21 I believe). Altogether so far you've got 27/28 reviews giving it the thumbs up. That's pretty amazing...

I saw it last night ready to hate it.

It was great.

I won't reveal plot (and there was a good twist) but I will say Brandon Routh was a perfect fit for me. Beleivable as a dork and suave as the Supes.

They kept in some of the corn and the violence w/out real violence type of action, so it was suitable for the kiddies.

It was a little long, but really, I had loads of fun.

And there is a kid throughout the movie, but not a cloying annoying one, sweet kid.

FORT Newbie
    Saw the movie yesterday. Two Loved it! Going back this weekend to see it again. I"l give a more of a review after I see it again. Congrats to Singer on a great movie though.

I saw it last night and thought it was really good. Never really "watched" the first movies but saw enough. I think Brandon Routh was great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast