+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bewitched - 06/24/05

Bewitched - 06/24/05

from rottentomatoes.com

Bewitched (PG-13)

THEATRICAL RELEASE
    Jun 24, 2005 Wide

CONSENSUS
    Bewitched is haunted by scattered laughs and a lack of direction.

CAST & CREW
    Nicole Kidman , Will Ferrell , Shirley MacLaine
    Directed by Nora Ephron

SYNOPSIS
    In Columbia Pictures' beguiling romantic comedy, Bewitched, an all-star cast led by Nicole Kidman, Will Ferrell, Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine cast their spell on the movie version of one of TV's most memorable and beloved shows under the direction of Nora Ephron, who co-wrote the screenplay with Delia Ephron for producers Douglas Wick, Lucy Fisher, Penny Marshall and Nora Ephron. Out in California's San Fernando Valley, Isabel (Nicole Kidman), is trying to reinvent herself. A naive, good-natured witch, she is determined to disavow her supernatural powers and lead a "normal" life.

At the same time, across town, Jack Wyatt (Will Ferrell) a tall, charming actor is trying to get his career back on track. He sets his sights on an updated version of the beloved 1960's situation comedy "Bewitched," reconceived as a starring vehicle for himself in the role of the mere-mortal Darrin.

Fate steps in when Jack accidentally runs into Isabel. He is immediately attracted to her and her nose, which bears an uncanny resemblance to the nose of Elizabeth Montgomery, who played Samantha in the original TV version of "Bewitched." He becomes convinced she could play the witch Samantha in his new series.

Isabel is also taken with Jack, seeing him as the quintessential mortal man with whom she can settle down and lead the normal life she so desires.

It turns out they're both right - but in ways neither of them ever imagined.

MPAA RATING
    PG-13, for some language, including sex and drug references, and partial nudity

RELEASE COMPANY
    Columbia Pictures

GENRE
    Comedies, Family Interaction, Theatrical Release , Adaptation, Actors , Witches

I am going to see this tomorrow night so I will be sure to report back in on Monday when I get home
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Let us know please, I do want to see this. The commecials look cute and I think Micheal Caine and Will Ferrell can help me over come my Nicole Kidman aversion.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    It was cute, but yeah, it did sort of lack a sense of direction.

Nicole Kidman was very cutesy, which is a good thing, and Will Ferrell showed his sensitive side.

Kristin Chenoweth was adorable, as always. I love her.
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

I got back early so I decided to post now.

I really enjoyed the movie and especially loved Heather Burns who played the part of Nina. I think that she is such a great actress and I hope that she is able to get some biggers roles as she has the talent to pull it off.

I don't think that it was too cutesy or flighty. It was a great mix of humor and just a splash of romance.

I went and saw it with my friend who is a casting director and he seemed to be impressed with it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    I thought this movie was entertaining for a chick flick, which was what this movie felt like. I liked it because I'm a Will Ferrell fan and I thought he was great in it. Michael Caine was pretty good too.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

I was less than thrilled by the movie, but my 14-year-old daughter liked it. I don't understand the Uncle Albert/Aunt Clara bit. Were they supposed to have been witches who portrayed themselves in the original series? If so, how did Isabel know them? Were they supposed to be her real aunt/uncle? If so, how is that coincidence supposed to be believable? I really didn't get that part of the movie at all.
    Count your blessings!

This was a cute movie. It was nice to see the always gallant Michael Caine in this lighter comical role as an old player warlock who meets his match in an old witch played by the resurgent Shirley MacLaine. The movie was better than I expected and still had some original charm even though it was inspired by a 60s TV show.

Will Ferrell is way past the age of continuing to push the nude scenes for jokes. He looked even less appealing in this movie than in Old School with the added pounds he has gained from his new found box office success in the interim years.
    Last edited by sugarlady; 06-30-2005 at 05:02 PM.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I thought the movie was simply a nice film to watch if your bored. There are some funny parts but overall, it is just okay.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread