+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Deep" Movies

"Deep" Movies

Suggest a good Movie for a critical analysis, one that hasn't been overdone, maybe even one not many people have heard of.

How about "The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter" 1968

ETA:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063050/

Or perhaps not. This movie was the first one that came to mind, but maybe it being a well known book changes things even if the film wasn't seen by many.

I never studied this book in school, but a search on the title points to masses of people that must, based on Cliff Notes type entries.

The movie is still something I'd now like to see, I saw it when it came out originally, but never since then. Time to get reacquainted.

-------

As long as we're in 1968, wasn't that when "King of Hearts" came out, with Michael Bates (?) as a soldier encountering a town inhabited only by lunatics?
    Last edited by Leftcoaster; 06-18-2005 at 04:00 AM.

I'm a fan of A Pure Formality, with Roman Polanski and Gerard Depardieu. Here's the link on imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110917/
    It is in French with English subtitles, just in case that matters. I found it enjoyable on several levels.
    The summary from imdb.com:
    Onoff is a famous writer who hasn't published any new books for quite some time and has become a recluse. When he is picked up by the police one stormy night, without any identification, out of breath and running madly, without clear memory of recent events, the Inspector is suspicious. Through interrogatory dialectic, the head of this lonely, isolated, broken-down police station tries to establish what has happened, by delving into the mind of his writer-hero, and clearing up a mysterious killing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    A few from my list of "deep" movies:

Battle for Algiers. A completely fantastic look at terrorism and colonialism set during the 1960's revolution in Algiers. It's also a beautiful movie to watch.

Waking Life. A movie that questions the fundamentals of human existence in rotoscope cartoons. I is guaranteed to make you think.

High Noon. But only if you watch it through the lens of the communist scare which was occurring in the country at the time. It describes what happens when you do what is right for you and the loneliness that can ensue.

I had to look this up as I forgot the year it was made. I knew it was old and it was the first time in a long time I gave an oldie a good chance and loved this. Way ahead of its time (IMO)

Gaslight is the title of at least two films based on the Patrick Hamilton play Angel Street, in which a man marries a woman and tries to convince her she is crazy so that he can steal the jewels stored in her attic.

The more famous version was directed by George Cukor in 1944 and starred Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer; the 1939 version was directed by Thorold Dickinson and starred Diana Wynyard, Anton Walbrook, and Frank Pettinge

Ingrid Bergman blew me away with her acting. She deserved that Oscar!!
    Anyone here see it?
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    No I haven't.

Another 'deep' movie is Crash. I love that movie. It will have you thinking after you see it.

Has onyone seen it?
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Tarkovsky's The Mirror (1975) ("Zerkalo"), De Sica's The Bicycle Thief (1948) and Wenders' .Wings of Desire (1987)
    Last edited by happyblue; 06-21-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    It's not really deep, but it's sort of an interesting piece of cinema (artistically): Leningrad Cowboys (Go America) . Aki Kaurismäki is a very interesting filmmaker.

JamiLee - yup, saw gaslighting

I always liked Shoot the Piano Player (Tirez Sur Le Pianiste). You can do a lot of thinking about that film.

This might seem like an odd choice but Fight Club w/ Brad Pitt and Edward Norton was really deep and interesting, you really had to watch and pay attn to even begin to get it. Also North by Northwest by Alfred Hitchcock is brilliant, def worth looking into.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast