+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Batman Begins - 06/15/05

It's all variations on a theme, in my book. Although, I must admit that I really enjoyed how the writers wove the whole "fear as crippling to the hero/hero's greatest weapon" into not only Batman's origin, but also as the antagonist's main weapon and tool.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    . Yes, I found Ras al Ghul to be a fascinating character. (Both of his incarnations in the film ).

Really, Batman and Ghul were fighting for the same thing and wanted to overcome fear in the end. Both had suffered great losses which made them angry and almost destroyed them. They just had different ways of achieving their ends. Ups the complexity and interest factor 100 times in my view.

Not that Arnold's Mr. Freeze wasn't a deeply layered character with tons of interesting motivation! +

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Wait, Gary Oldman is in this movie too? Blasted other people's PR getting in the way of promoting this movie. I lurrve Gary Oldman movies. I'll definitely go see this now.

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    Not that Arnold's Mr. Freeze wasn't a deeply layered character with tons of interesting motivation! +
    You know, that's what pissed me off the most about that movie. In "Batman: The Animated Series"(90's WB cartoon), Mr Freeze is a wonderfully deep, multi-layered character with very believeable motivations. He is not as much a criminal, as he is an everyday scientist who was wronged by evil corporate baddies and wants revenge on them. His backstory in the cartoon was so interesting and tragic. Same thing with the Riddler(Jim Carrey's Riddler was also just silly)--The Riddler is not a cheesy lab type who can absorb other's thoughts...he is an evil genius whose intellect can only be matched by Batman. And he is motivated by the thrill of matching wits with someone on(well, actually above) his level.

Yeah, Phonegrrl, Oldham is in this movie...and he plays the character great!
    Last edited by mrdobolina; 06-22-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Just got back. I was'nt too exited about seeing it, but hubby was pumped.
    I gotta say Was wicked good.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Oh, for those who have seen it...I was wondering something about this movie.
    I went to the bathroom like 4 times so I may have missed this:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Did they ever explain why that machine does not vaporize all the water in human bodies and make us blow up? or are we just supposed to use suspended disbelief and stop thinking about it too hard?
    Not that it matters all that much, but like I said... 4 pees, I mighta missed something.

ClosetNerd,

I didn't catch the answer to that either and I only had one break! Although, maybe it is our need for breaks that ironically caused us to miss that part

LOVED this movie. Liked the other Batmans (most of them...) but truly loved this one. Usually I do the flip the hair down and watch scary things that way (you know, like hiding under a blanket makes you invisible to the monsters under the bed?), but between the bats (flying mice) and the #$*&*#@)#$ Scarecrow, I admit I had my hands on my eyes at least twice! Scarecrow was a great villian.

Ohh yeah he was. I actually found him scareyest when he was his non-scarecrow self.
    Cillian Murphy was a good casting

I don't think they ever explained that aspect of the vaporizor. However, using my highly tuned sense of "comic book physics", I am going to hypothesize that the vaporizor only works on large amounts of water, as would be in a pipe or resevoir.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd
    Ohh yeah he was. I actually found him scareyest when he was his non-scarecrow self.
    Cillian Murphy was a good casting
    AGREED!!!!!

If I had to describe the movie in one word, it would be "dark" (visually as well as the storyline). If I had to describe my overall feeling when the movie ended in one word, it would be shell-shocked. It was so action packed that I was reluctant to blink for fear of missing something.

This movie is well cast with the exception of Michael Caine and Katie Holmes. Caine's big failing is the accent. An actor of his experience should have the upper crust accent in his repertoire which no decent Alfred would be without. It was disappointing to see my favorite character given an expanded role only to watch in horror as he is brought to life by a chimney sweep. I don't know who Katie slept with to get this role, but they have apparently learned their lesson and she isn't expected in the next one. If she needs money she can always sell Tom's ring when he moves on to a still younger woman.

Christian Bale did a great job and has the perfect voice for the caped crusader. My favorite casting was Morgan Freeman. Fox is a fabulous character.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast