+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before Sunrise & Before Sunset

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar

Before Sunrise & Before Sunset

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are two gems of film that I have very recently discovered. (They were on sale at Virgin )

I've loved Richard Linklater ever since I saw Waking Life, but I'm not usually a sucker for the romantic flick.

But these, these were different. They have some incredibly potent things to say about love and life and loss. About the strange turns that life takes. They ask us about the existence of fate and soulmates and what our obligations are in taking charge of our own destiny.

I just thought they were really beautiful and I was hoping someone else found them as life affirming as I did.

I've linked the titles above if anyone would like to get some story details from IMDB.

I loved the two movies, ironically, I just saw Waking Life today which was perhaps, one of the most intellectual/philosophical movies i've ever seen (which isn't too much).

Anyways, after watching Before Sunrise, it made me think a lot. After Before Sunset, it made me question everything. I still can't get over that ending. I really hope there's a continuation (*sigh* THAT ENDING! if they do have a third movie, i'm interested in the title)

Yah, that's about all I have to say about the movies, which made me appreciate so much more (I love Europe!) and gave me an abundance of entertainment.

Thanks Lunchbreak for bringing this topic up.

I loved Before Sunrise which I saw when it first came out. I really liked it. It was one of those delightful slice of life movies. I have yet to see Before Sunset but plan to.

I've never heard of these movies. Are they old or new? Am I likely to find them at a movie rental chain? (under drama?). My kids are all going to be away this weekend so I can rent whatever I want.
    Count your blessings!

gutmutter - before sunrise was released in 1995 and was a critical darling. before sunset came out last year and was nominated for an oscar for best screenplay. the second movie occurs 9 years (which is the real time) after the first movie. you are probably going to find before sunset at the movie rental chain, however, smaller chances with before sunrise.

It's a good thing your kids are away.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by random_thotz
    I loved the two movies, ironically, I just saw Waking Life today which was perhaps, one of the most intellectual/philosophical movies i've ever seen (which isn't too much).

Yes, this is another must see in my book - if not for the cool rotoscope animation, then for the thought provoking content.

Quote Originally Posted by random_thotz
    Anyways, after watching Before Sunrise, it made me think a lot. After Before Sunset, it made me question everything. I still can't get over that ending. I really hope there's a continuation (*sigh* THAT ENDING! if they do have a third movie, i'm interested in the title)
    I think that is the beauty of the these movies. They do not provide us any easy answers. At the end of Before Sunrise we are left to wonder if we just witnessed a romance for the ages or just one of those unique but limited connections in life.

And yes, THAT ending of Before Sunset is both so full of hope and pregnant with possibility.

For me though, the scene that really caught my attention was Jesse's and Celine's car ride to her house. They way she almost touched his hair, the emotional out pouring, the realization that they are soul mates but now, perhaps, it is too late. And then the silent walk up the staircase when everything was said without any words. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I've never heard of these movies. Are they old or new? Am I likely to find them at a movie rental chain? (under drama?). My kids are all going to be away this weekend so I can rent whatever I want.
    Gutmutter, I really think you would enjoy these movies...I think we have somehwat similar life views. If you have any trouble finding Before Sunrise PM me and I'll send you my copy.

If I can find Sunset and not Sunrise, should I wait to find it? In other words, do you need to watch them in order? Thanks for the offer OMLB. I'll let you know what I find.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    If I can find Sunset and not Sunrise, should I wait to find it? In other words, do you need to watch them in order? Thanks for the offer OMLB. I'll let you know what I find.
    I think it would be better to see them in order. Now mind you like I posted above, I haven't seen Sunset. If you have a video store with a large collection, I bet you can find Sunrise.

Oh I absoutely love these 2 movies. They gave me completely different feelings. I watched Before Sunrise 2 years ago and it touched my heart tremendously. I think it was all very sweet. I love their chance meeting, all their conversations, all the little things. The scene where Celine "called" home and tell her friend about their meeting was one of the most touching for me. This movie made me have the urge to go on backpack in Europe again. And I keep thinking why this kind of encounter never happen to me when I was there 6 years back. LOL.

Then I saw Before Sunset this year and it's kind of different. Yes, it set me thinking a lot too. It's hard to explain. It's like you see the characters grow, and mature and you think about them back then and now, and you see what reality has done to them. To me, it's a little sad. Like OnMyLunchBreak, I was particularly touched by the car ride back to Celine's home. The outpouring of emotions from her, the said and the unsaid, it really tugged at my heart.

My friend watched Before Sunset first without watching the first and she hates it. She say she don't understand what they are trying to say. So, Gutmutter, I think you should watch in sequence. Then you can appreciate the change better. Enjoy the shows.

Thanks for all the info. I will go look for them tonight so if I find them I'll be able to watch them this weekend. Can't wait to come back here for discussion.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast