+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best/Worst Movie Posters/DVD Covers

Best/Worst Movie Posters/DVD Covers

Let's talk promotional art for film. I was browsing a megastore last night, and as I am wont to do, I flipped through the discounted DVD's for any gems I didn't own. (Hey, I'd buy any ol' crap on celluloid if they discounted it deeply enough.)

I ran across a film that I had seen that hadn't impressed me. The artwork, however, grabbed me again. So this had me thinking:

What are some of your favorite movie posters? Have you ever watched a film based on its poster? Were you disappointed by the film in the end?

In no particular order, here are five off the top of my head:

#1 Art of War: To me, this is everything that a film poster should be. It features the central character without a lot of background "noise." Its tagline "hooks" you in and stays with you after you view the poster ("Do you know who your enemy is?"). You know the title of the film, you know its star, and best of all, since the film is designed to be a "high-octane, adrenaline" film, the hero is shown in motion so gracefully, you would swear he's moving. The kinetic energy is undeniable. Too bad the movie sucked.

#2 Reservoir Dogs: I have a confession to make. I'm not a convert to the Tarantino religion. True Romance is a personal favorite and a vastly underrated film; otherwise, I think Tarantino is too derivative of better auteurs. Having said that, what a movie poster! It draws your eyes in; you can't look away! When you look at these guys, you know they're bad news. You ought to stay away from them. Their menace is palpable right through the poster! Not even the lousy frickin' grammar ("Lets [sic] go to work") can detract from my enjoyment.

#3 The Godfather Part III: From the unsettling tagline ("Real power can't be given. It must be taken.") to the gorgeous sfumato image of Don Michael Corleone at his most powerful, most arrogant, most chilling, this one's a winner, top to bottom. You're a fan, you've been waiting years for the last film in the trilogy. What more does it need to convey?

#4 Hard Boiled: The Hong Kong teahouse scene in John Woo's Hard Boiled is possibly one of my favorite action scenes put to film, ever, and the scene captured for the DVD cover is a major contributor. Hard-nosed cop "Tequila" comes under attack at the top of a flight of stairs, and nearly trips over the banister. Rather than take the spill and lose his life, he slides down the banister, guns blazing, and turns defeat into a personal victory. A magnificient moment that I'm glad was chosen for the DVD cover.

#5 GoodFellas: Rarely since this poster have I seen one that so perfectly conveys the main characters' states of mind: Robert DeNiro's Jimmy both cocky and paranoid, Ray Liotta's Henry pensive and Joe Pesci's Tommy emotionless and sociopathic. A masterpiece.

Runners-up for next time: A Perfect Murder, Akira, Miller's Crossing, Empire Records(!), Before Sunset, The Matrix Reloaded, Star Wars: A New Hope
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phat32; 06-04-2005 at 10:10 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Interesting thread Phat!

I'd say
    Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
    because I love that period and from the pictures shows the action and the love story

and
    Platoon

I'm not a war move fan typically, but I loved this movie and think this poster absolutely tells a story.

I definitely don't see movies based on a poster, but as with vinyl records, the artwork is just that...art. Lots of storytelling (which leads me to believe we should start a favorite record cover thread in the music section!)

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Great thread Phat!

I totally agree with you about Hard Boiled. Besides being a great film, it is just fun to watch.

Another strange favorite I have is Without Borders. I have never seen the movie, but ran across the poster in an old office and I just love the artwork. Of course, I can't find an image.

I also liked all of the LoTR posters, but the FoTR was my favorite.

I'm going to have to think about the others I like.

Hey great topic!

I can't think of any off the top of my head that has made me really want to watch a movie, but I can definitely name a BUNCH that turned me away instantly.

Marybeth, I LOVE Platoon! I'm a war film junkie though, but it is one of my all-time faves. Here's the poster

definitely pirates

Ooh, I like this thread, also!!
    The first movie that springs to mind is Pirates of the Caribbean... being one of my favorites, it has a movie cover that sends shivers of delight all through me when I just glance at it! When I was looking up the poster, I also stumbled across this hauntingly creepy skeleton poster. Nice.
    Last edited by build_me_up; 06-07-2005 at 02:21 AM. Reason: hmm... pictures wouldn't attach...
    Matthew 6:27
    Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

This is a great topic! I don't really have anything to add, except that in Poland, it used to be that the greatest artists were commissioned to design movie posters, so the vintage ones are really interesting and artistic: http://www.poster.com.pl/vintage-movie-poster.htm

Coming Soon

I saw the following two movie posters recently and just stood there, in awe of them.

V for Vendetta: Alan Moore the graphic novel artist has a very poor track record with Hollywood (From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Having said that, I've always been a fan of V for Vendetta, Moore's haunting vision of a lone anarchist fighting a Fascist British government in a dystopic future.

And what a poster! From the tagline ("People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.") to the photography, the poster is nearly perfect.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: I'm actually a bigger fan of the films than the books. The poster, however, is an attention-grabber, and I also viewed the trailer before the main feature. If you're a fan, you're going to be pleased. The film looks beautiful.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Re: Best/Worst Movie Posters/DVD Covers

I was thinking of creating a new thread about the best movie posters that you've ever seen ('cause strangely, I'm kind of fascinated about them), but I see that there's already a thread on it. So don't mind if I bump this back up.

These are two movie posters that entice me, which is basically the movie poster's job. But I have to admit, I've seen neither of them. I'm not interested on seeing Clan since I've read bad reviews, but I'm planning on watching Jungle soon.

Jungle Fever

The Clan of the Cave Bear
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread