+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lords of Dogtown - 6/03

Lords of Dogtown - 6/03

Release Date: 2005-06-03 Drama, Historical, Period Rated: PG-13 Runtime: 1 hr 45 mins

From Hollywood.com
    The tough, gritty streets of "Dogtown" in Venice, California didn't look like much to outsiders, but to a handful of teenage surfers in the 1970s they were the hard, winding, sloping inspiration for a revolutionary style of skateboarding. Transferring the aggressive wave-riding moves to concrete from their death-defying surf skills at the Pacific Ocean Park pier, the Z-Boys--mostly kids with rough home lives and rougher attitudes--became sensations, local legends. They were freestyle wizards on urethane wheels, turning empty pools into arenas of wild, beautiful athleticism, the genesis of today's "extreme sports." Skating competitors didn't know what to make of them, girls threw themselves at them, and suddenly marketers and promoters wanted to grab a piece of them and what was fast becoming a worldwide counterculture phenomenon. But would the friendships of this tightly knit group last as a teenage pastime turned into big business, and energetic personalities became out-of-control celebrities?
    Cast: Heath Ledger , John Robinson , Victor Rasuk , Emile Hirsch , Nikki Reed , Jeremy Renner

Director: Catherine Hardwicke

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I loved, loved the documentary about the Z boys when it came out a few years ago. I can't see how you can get much grittier than Jay Adams crying on camera about the course his life has taken. :cry

I don't know how I feel about the dramatization of the story. It might make them seem more like the semi-gods they thought they were than the destructive lifestyle participants they actually were.

Skateboarding is cool. The story is cool. I will probably see it.

I won't be seeing it.

I saw a good portion of the documentary myself which I highly recommend. It really opened up my eyes to surfing and skating to a whole new level and I appreciate it even more than I did previously. However, I believe this movie omited Jeff Ho out of the storyline, which IMO is a big mistake. He was an important part of Dogtown, co founded the Zephyr team and designed most of the surfboards in the early part of the 70's, not to mention was an Asian-American, breaking the racial stereotype. It would be better if they focused more on the actual people and environment than just style and substance.

Uh, yeah, the movie wasn't the greatest. It was decent, but I also really, really like Emile Hirsch.

Watch the documentary instead.

I want to watch this movie, because I really enjoyed the documentary. My brother was a skateboarder in that same time period, (though we lived NOWHERE close to California!) and I would read all of his magazines with those guys in it, trying to see what it was all about, and was always impressed as all get out with my death-defying brother and his outrageous stunts.

The saddest thing about the documentary was definitely Jay Adams......I'm wondering how the movie will address what's become of him now.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Jay Adams....I just want to give him a big hug and feed him milk and cookies or something.

I am in love with that footage from the documentary of him speeding down a big hill, low on his skateboard, perilously balancing between having the ride of a lifetime and road burn from HELL. It just seems like this perfect childhood moment.

So much talent, so fun to watch...his story is SO tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    Jay Adams....I just want to give him a big hug and feed him milk and cookies or something.

I am in love with that footage from the documentary of him speeding down a big hill, low on his skateboard, perilously balancing between having the ride of a lifetime and road burn from HELL. It just seems like this perfect childhood moment.

So much talent, so fun to watch...his story is SO tragic.
    I know, and wasn't he the CUTEST little boy? I mean, just adorable!

I would love to see some follow up, that his life is back together, that he's on a good path, making appearances with the movie, something like that.

That documentary is just....riveting. For me, it was like seeing my brother that age again. (I even called him and said "man, you have GOT to see this! This is how I saw YOU back then!") Hearing the back stories on the guys, (especially Jay, he was so young, so little! so FEARLESS!) and all...it was just amazing.

Now I have got to go watch the documentary again, SOON!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    That documentary is just....riveting. For me, it was like seeing my brother that age again. (I even called him and said "man, you have GOT to see this! This is how I saw YOU back then!") Hearing the back stories on the guys, (especially Jay, he was so young, so little! so FEARLESS!) and all...it was just amazing.
    I know, what an amazing time for them to grow up and really and truly be revolutionaries in one of the most unlooked for places.

Maybe someone who has seen the movie (not documentary) can tell us how they treat Jay's character.

+ Reply to Thread