+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cinderella Man - 6/03

Cinderella Man - 6/03

Release Date: 2005-06-03 Biopic, Drama, Period Rated: PG-13 Runtime: 2 hrs 24 mins

From Hollywood.com
    During the Great Depression, a common-man hero, James J. Braddock--a.k.a. the "Cinderella Man"--was to become one of the most surprising sports legends in history. By the early 1930s, the impoverished ex-prizefighter was seemingly as broken-down, beaten-up and out-of-luck as much of the rest of the American populace who had hit rock bottom. His career appeared to be finished, he was unable to pay the bills, the only thing that mattered to him--his family--was in danger, and he was even forced to go on Public Relief. But deep inside, Jim Braddock never relinquished his determination. Driven by love, honor and an incredible dose of grit, he willed an impossible dream to come true. In a last-chance bid to help his family, Braddock returned to the ring. No one thought he had a shot. However Braddock, fueled by something beyond mere competition, kept winning. Suddenly, the ordinary working man became the mythic athlete. Carrying the hopes and dreams of the disenfranchised on his shoulders, Braddock rocketed through the ranks, until this underdog chose to do the unthinkable: take on the heavyweight champ of the world, the unstoppable Max Baer, renowned for having killed two men in the ring.
    Cast: Russell Crowe , Renee Zellweger , Craig Bierko , Paul Giamatti , Paddy Considine

Director: Ron Howard

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    So the Seabiscuit for boxers movie is finally coming out - seems like I have been seeing the previews forever.

Oh well, I will probably see it. I luv me some Paul Giamatti!

Seeing this tonight. Can't Wait.

The reviews I've seen are all overwhelmingly positive. I'll be seeing this at some point.

Join Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger, and director Ron Howard for this inspiring look at the life of Depression-era boxer James Braddock, who began his ring career to earn money for his family and -surprisingly- ended up fighting for the heavyweight championship of the world against Max Bear in 1935. The stars discuss their upcoming biopic. "The Cinderella Man", based on Braddock's life, and clips from the movie are combined with archival footage from the period. Plus there'll be interviews with those who were part of Braddock's life and world and remember how he overcame poverty, despair, and a battered body to make it to the top of the boxing mountain.

-A&E Channel
    I saw this documentary last night on A&E. The footage and story on Braddock's inspirational life is amazing. I'm surprised that it hasn't hit the big screen earlier. Ron Howard discussed "one of the biggest comebacks in sports history" and showed actual footage of Jim Braddock's fights. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie!

I doubt I'll be seeing this at the theater, but I know this'll be a DVD that we'll be getting when it comes out.

Did anyone catch this this weekend? I was hoping for a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Did anyone catch this this weekend? I was hoping for a review.
    I'm going to see it this evening.

THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME.

Cinderella Man is the best film I've seen this year and it will be difficult to beat this one. It's ahead in terms of acting and directing. The story of Jim Braddock was accurately told and was brilliantly performed by Russell Crowe. Paul Giamatti gave a phenomenal performance. Aside from it being a little cliche' (in a good way) it's a definite MUST SEE MOVIE!

I agree with WomynLee, this was a fantastic film and to be honest I wasn't expecting much more than your standard, schlocky, over-romanticized, period bio pic. Instead, I found that Ron Howard did an excellent job in his direction, managing to successfully balance sentimentality, humanity, and humor with the ferocious action of the boxing sequences. The cinematography during the boxing scenes will make you feel like you're right in the ring, and take you right inside the heads of these fighters.

The story of Jim Braddock, which I'd never before heard of, was so inspiring. I haven't been this moved by a film in a long time, or as engrossed; my husband also loved this, and proclaimed it one of his favorite films--in fact, the last movie we'd seen was Star Wars Ep 3, and we were still more involved in Cinderella Man.

It was very engrossing, and kept us fully engaged until the very end, and the acting was excellent. Paul Giamatti was excellent, I am generally very fond of Rene Zellwegger, and Russell Crowe turned in a bravura performance. I hope audiences aren't turned away from this film because of Crowe's recent bad press, because it would be such a pity to miss out on such a fine film.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread