+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empire Falls - HBO

Empire Falls - HBO

Hope this is the best forum. I figured it was more movie-ish than tv show.

Did anyone catch the mini-series on HBO last night? I thought it was fantastic and it reminded me of a newer version of Legends of the Falls. I'm definitely heading out to buy the book.

Thoughts?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Speedy,

I caught both nights as well (hence the return of my Ed Harris av.) What a beautiful character-driven story.

I found it quite interesting the way they developed the characters and let you care about them before they'd clue you in as to the reasons for the interpersonal dynamics. (Isn't that the way all shows should work??) I don't think there was one bad acting performance in the entire ensemble.

One detail that I think I might have missed (and I'll put this in spoiler tags in case others catch this when it reairs):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    did they ever summarize what, if anything, happened to Jimmy Minty's son... Tick's ex-BF? I know they suspected him of breaking into John Ross' grandmother's house... but he should have taken a lot of blame for driving John Ross to the point of taking the gun to school.

And major to the casting director for casting Ed Harris, Josh Lucas, and Paul Newman... three of the best, most beautiful blue-eyed men around.

I would've liked to have seen what happened with that as well. I thought for sure Miles was going to go off on Jimmy regarding that.

My other wonder was :
    Click to see Spoiler:
    do you think Mile's brother was really a product of his mother and C.B.? Even though the dad said he knew it was his, I couldn't help but wonder.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I had the very same question. I wonder if the book will address that, but I think
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it's highly likely that that's one main reason that Mrs Whiting was such a vindictive wench that continued to make Miles pay for his mother's alleged transgressions for all of these years.

+ Reply to Thread