+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shanghai Knights 02/07

Don't Cali! I've agreed with you on 10 Days and on Shanghai Knights!

I need some backup!!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I'm with ya!

Miss Filangi and Cali,

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I think the premise is hilarious. I like Owen and Jackie both very much and I think that mismatch (one soft-spoken man of action the other a fast-talker who avoids confrontation) is ingenious.

As for the English jokes, I'm a huge fan of traveling to the British Isles as I lived in England as a student, and I love any movie that features England, even, unfortunately, as the butt of many of the movie's jokes (if the trailers are anything to go by).

That bit with the "Well, hello ladies..." (Girl smiles at Owen.) Owen: "Gah!" gets me every time.

I don't mind the English jokes at all, if they're original.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Owen and Jackie have great chemistry together. I actually loved Shanghai Noon. Yes, I have it on video. Jackie is one of my all time favorite martial arts expert. Owen's facial expressions are so funny that he sometimes doesn't even have to say anything to be funny. I do think it a cliched load of crap, but it's funny crap. I'm going to the movies with my friends tonight to watch it.

I was watching some entertaiment show earlier, and apparently Owen was worried that they wouldn't be able to regain their Shanghai Noon chemistry as they haven't seen each other for two years.

He said that he shouldn't have worried because they were basically able to just take up where they left off.
    Good news for people who loved Shanghai Noon.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Well, I watched the movie last night and it was everything I was expecting. Same premise as Shanghai noon, throw some British jokes, and a few spoofs/tributes to legendary funny guys like Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, the singing in the rain guy, Doc from Back to the Future, and you have Shanghai Knights. I think Owen Wilson stole the movie on this one. He had so many funny one-liners. Some of the jokes fell flat but for the most part the movie was pretty funny. Like I said before, if you liked Shanghai Noon you'll enjoy watching Shanghai Knights.

lol_its_fun
    Originally posted by fluff
    Don't like this type of thing.
    The previews show the old established "jokes" about Britain and the British - i.e. British people don't brush their teeth and it rains all the time.
    I have seen movies that joke about Japanese and Chinese Kung Fu. It's kind of cheap and stupid, but there is always a market for these movies. I feel bad for people who enjoy these "stereotype jokes" of a particular groups of people because it is actually a reflection of ignorance of oneself.
    By the way, if you have watched the British version of Temptation Island, the obvious difference between the guys and the girls in the British version and the America is that the British participants tend to have natural teeth, they may not look as good as fake white teeth but it just reminds me that we are more into the cosmetic type of dental work. Without these dental work, we are pretty much the same...well except we speak with different accents.

Yay Miss F

I will admit that I laugh at jokes that :make fun" of cultures IF they are done in a way that makes you realize how stupid people are for stereotyping in the first place (I hope that reads the way I intend it too)

The Simpsons is one big Joke about every color/religion etc because in making fun of a particular group of people, it really is making fun of society in general. That, in my opinion is the best type of humor.

Now, having said that, the joke about the english and their teeth is stupid... I don't even get where it started!? Did Americans have perfect teeth before the invent of cosmetic dental work? Toothpaste and tooth brushes? What the heck?

Anyway, the day I can't laugh at myself (or others) is a sad day. It is when people think these are not steroeotypes but infact a true representation that the trouble begins.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by cali
    Anyway, the day I can't laugh at myself (or others) is a sad day. It is when people think these are not steroeotypes but infact a true representation that the trouble begins.
    Most of the comedies have some kind of stereotype whether it's about gender, religion, race, or whatever. Well, really I should say most of the movies and sitcoms shows. Like Cali said, if you don't realize that it's a stereotype then shame on you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12