+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crash - 5/06

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhol
    To those who have seen this movie:

I have read many reviews of Crash, and there seem to be two contradictory camps of critics -- one which finds it wonderfully complex and subtle, and one which finds it excessively preachy and about as complex and subtle as getting hit in the head with a bat.

Which is it?
    It's both! Which I know sounds strange, but the movie is filled with so many shades of gray, you are never quite sure where it is actually coming from.

Every character is both good and bad, evil and good (some may say, evidencing lapsed transcendentalism), violent and peaceful, cowardly and brave, etc. Just when you think you are listening to a preachy dialogue on the oppression of young African Americans, those same young men commit a thoughtless and violent act. As soon as you think you have nailed Sandra Bullock's character as a rich, white snob, she redeems herself with her Latina housekeeper. And, more interestingly, right after you begin to truly sympathize with Don Cheadle's character, he comes out with one of the most racist jokes ever to make it to the big screen.

It is both a bold statement and subtle examination of this thing called "race." In this movie, race comes off as a construction on the one hand. Some of the characters are not who they should be according to their skin color or ethnic background and other characters resent them for this seeming inauthenticity. This notion is part of the dialogue that needs to be had in this country about what is intrinsic to a person. However, in the movie, race also comes off as a burden and an inevitable cause for victimization. This is where it gets its most heavy handed, but I am not comfortable saying it is wrong.

So, to answer your question Warhol: I don't know. This movie does not have answers. It begins as it finishes...in desperation and anger. An open mind is definitely required for your viewing pleasure.

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    On Saturday I went to go see Crash and I absolutley loved it. It is very comlex and you have to really watch it and pay attention to be able to understand it at the end. I don't want to spoil it but for anyone who is thinking baout seeing it, all I have to tell you is to pay attention. Throughout the movie take mental notes of things you don't get and at the end it will all come together for you. It was really good. In the beginning it is about racism and prejudice. Certain scenes with these themes are deep and could be disturbing.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    So, to answer your question Warhol: I don't know. This movie does not have answers.
    Good review, thanks. I'm eager to see it now.

As for not having the answers, I think the best films, like the best novels, ask plenty of questions, and leave you, the viewer or the reader, to decide on the answers for yourself.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I know this is "old", but I just saw this tonight- it struck home- what a powerful movie! I will MAKE my kids watch this movie.
    Go Tigers!

Agree with all the posts regarding this movie. I just rented and saw it last night and all I can say is "WOW". You really cannot anticipate where the scenes go and anything you think about a character is not necessarily the reality. It was a very good movie.

I watched this film and loved it, it definintely ranks as my favorite. I watched it right after I took a course on the history of L.A., so it made me constantly reflect back on what I learned in class. When I watched it I spent hours just analyzing the whole film, picking out all the ironies and analyzing every character's goodness and badness. There are so many details throughout the film that will come back towards the end. I loved all the stories, in particular Matt Dillon and Michael Pena.

Ryan Phillippe's ending was most shocking for me, considering his character throughout the movie.

Matt Dillon was surprisingly wonderful in this film. I really enjoyed his performance. I also enjoyed Sandra Bullock's limited minutes as well. There's just so many characters to focus on, you won't get a significant amount devoted to each one.

Admittedly, I cried during a few scenes too. I'm such a wuss.

The winner takes it all ANTManonimus's Avatar
    I've yelled out, when the little girl came in between her father and the man with the gun!
    This is one great movie!
    Girls could wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, cause it's ok to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because YOU think that being a girl is degrading, but secretly you'd love to know what it's like, wouldn't you, what it feels like for a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhol
    Wasn't this also the name of a really twisted "car crash fetish" movie starring James Spader and Holly Hunter?
    This movie was on Showtime the other night and I taped it and watched it the next day. Twisted would be an understatement. It was so disturbing, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I am glad I had it on tape so I could speed through the really disgusting parts. The acting was terrific, but the subject matter, dialogue in some places, and some of the sex scenes were "ewwwww"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aname
    This movie was on Showtime the other night and I taped it and watched it the next day. Twisted would be an understatement. It was so disturbing, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I am glad I had it on tape so I could speed through the really disgusting parts. The acting was terrific, but the subject matter, dialogue in some places, and some of the sex scenes were "ewwwww"!!!!
    I guess we need to include the year next to the title to keep them from being confused. I also "had" to see Crash (1996) b/c I heard how weird it was. I agree - pretty twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTManonimus
    I've yelled out, when the little girl came in between her father and the man with the gun!
    This is one great movie
    Crash (2004) is much better! The scene with the little girl and her father and the gun was powerful. I yelled out too!!!

FORT Fan
    Crash (2004) was a Really GOOD MOVIE!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast