+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 04/29/05

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 04/29/05

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    from rottentomatoes.com

Theatrical Release Date: Apr 29, 2005 (Wide)

Cast & Crew:
    Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Mos Def, Alan Rickman, Zooey Deschanel directed by Garth Jennings

MPAA Rating: PG - for thematic elements, action and mild language
    Release Company: Buena Vista Pictures

Sypnosis

Don't Panic . . Stick out your thumb to join the most ordinary man in the world on an extraordinary adventure across the universe in the hilarious comedy, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Earthman Arthur Dent is having a very bad day. His house is about to be bulldozed, he discovers that his best friend is an alien and to top things off, Planet Earth is about to be demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass. Arthur's only chance for survival: hitch a ride on a passing spacecraft. For the novice space traveler, the greatest adventure in the universe begins when the world ends. Arthur sets out on a journey in which he finds that nothing is as it seems: he learns that a towel is just the most useful thing in the universe, finds the meaning of life, and discovers that everything he needs to know can be found in one book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. -- © Touchstone Pictures

Genre: Comedies, Adventure, Aliens, Theatrical Release, Space Travel, Space, Outer Space, Spaceships

I have a terrible cold, and still I slept all day yesterday (thursday) so DH and I could shlep thru the rain and see a midnight showing of this. There were some changes from the book, and they had to wiz by things kinda fast sometimes... But overall I was a happy happy girl. When we left the first thing DH said was, that was great! but, what was with their obsession with towels. hehehee... he did'nt read the book
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    I can't wait to see this movie. I read the first HGTTG book about two years ago and absolutely loved it. Martin Freeman was one of my favorite actors on the British series "The Office" (though the American version is dreadful), so that gives me bonus to see this movie.
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

Some of the HGTTG "anoraks" hate the film apparantly. They see the original as almost a "sacred text." BUT Douglas Adams actually wrote the script. He completed it just before his death. Obviously it's been tweaked but it's his vision of the film.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Bah... LOTR and Starwars-heads do the same thing.
    I don't care for movie snobs.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I don't think the problem was the script, or the tweaking, it just didn't translate to the screen very well. When I saw it last night there were moments directly from the book that had me laughing out loud when I read them, but were very "meh" once the actor delivered them. Maybe Mr. Adams' universe is just too absurd to enter into anything as close to reality as film???

Having said that, I thought the portrayal of Zaphod was spot on and hilarious!

I had the same feeling... a few "that was funnyer in the book" moments.
    IMO it was because to fit a movie timeframe a lot of detailed scenes had to be rushed thru. While I did not care for the casting of Ford or Trillian, Arthur was a good choice. Zaphod and the Voice of Marvin were top notch

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I agree. Mos Def was a fairly bland Ford Prefect, he had be laughing at the beginning but then he just became like a set piece...Trillian was okay, seemed to be picked more for her physical qualities than her acting abilities...Arthur, well, the guy was the perfect everyman but the way he came accross - just not hapless enough. I liked the TV show Arthur better. Definitely agree that there could not have been a better Marvin than Alan Rickman.

Watched this movie on Friday. As a reference, I've read the whole series. I actually really liked the movie, considering that I've read the book. It was very funny, and some things were definitely changed / left out. I especially liked Marvin, he was probably my favorite character from the movie. I also loved the dolphins

I did not like this movie, and I loved the books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast