+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 04/29/05

My kids are taking me to see this for mother's day tomorrow. I am a huge Alan Rickman fan and saw his name in the blurb, but none of your comments. Does he have a major role? Can't wait.
    Count your blessings!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Alan Rickman doesn't appear in the movie. He provides the voice for Marvin the robot.

I enjoyed the movie (I discovered the books many years ago). That said, I really think you need to have read at least the HHGTTG to truly appreciate this movie.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Fort Member
    I loved these books and enjoyed the TV series but have so far avoided the movie for fear that it would not be good. I dont want to be dissappointed. So I looked at this thread to get convinced but the reviews are mixed.
    Think I will have to take the risk. Pack my towel, a packet of peanuts and my electronic thumb and hitch a ride

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    I don't think the problem was the script, or the tweaking, it just didn't translate to the screen very well. When I saw it last night there were moments directly from the book that had me laughing out loud when I read them, but were very "meh" once the actor delivered them. Maybe Mr. Adams' universe is just too absurd to enter into anything as close to reality as film???

Having said that, I thought the portrayal of Zaphod was spot on and hilarious!
    My thoughts exactly, you must have my office bugged. I was saying the exact same thing. I was so disappointed. I'd read the series years ago and remember that I couldn't put them down and couldn't stop laughing.

I can't for the life of me figure out what target audience this was meant for. I'm pretty easy to please if a movie isn't gorey or full of chase scenes but neither I nor my son or daughter (teens) got any kind of buzz from this movie. None of us have read the books. Maybe that is a prerequisite.
    Count your blessings!

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I can't for the life of me figure out what target audience this was meant for. I'm pretty easy to please if a movie isn't gorey or full of chase scenes but neither I nor my son or daughter (teens) got any kind of buzz from this movie. None of us have read the books. Maybe that is a prerequisite.
    Well, it is hard to say. The books (and so I would say the movie) are aimed at those who find that weird, dry, absurdist, English humor amusing (a la Monty Python). But, if that is the case, then they would be aiming at a pretty small percentage of the American public...not a good formula for a successful blockbuster.

I think having read the books was made me an even worse audience member, actually (see my posts above).

I read the books along time ago. I found the movie to be ok. My daughter who had not read any of the books liked the movie better. Some parts were too confusing and other parts just went to fast. It was ok, but the books are much better.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12