+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sahara - 04/08/05

Sahara - 04/08/05

from rottentomatoes.com

Sahara

Release Date: Apr 8, 2005 (Wide)

Cast & Crew:
    Matthew McConaughey, Penelope Cruz, Steve Zahn, William H. Macy, Delroy Lindo

Synopsis:
    Master explorer Dirk Pitt (Matthew McConaughey) takes on the adventure of his life when he embarks on a treasure hunt through some of the most dangerous regions of West Africa. Searching for what locals call "The Ship of Death", a long lost Civil War battleship which protects a secret cargo, Pitt and his wisecracking sidekick (Steve Zahn) use their wits and clever heroics to help Doctor Eva Rojas (Penelope Cruz) when they realize the ship may be linked to mysterious deaths in the very same area.

MPAA Rating: PG-13 - for action violence

Runtime: 2 hours

Release Company: Paramount Pictures

Genre: Action/Adventure, Action, Adventure

Woo hoo! I can't wait for this one. I love the book, so I hope they can do it justice.

I may be biased, since I'd pay to watch Matthew McConaughey read a phonebook for 2 hours but I really liked it. I also haven't read the book so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

That being said, it was just a super-fun adventure/comedy. Yes, some events are far-fetched, but who cares? It's a movie! Steve Zahn and MM had really good chemistry and Penelope was fairly believable in her part. Good action, some really funny lines and MM all tanned and sweaty for two hours All in all, a great way to spend a few hours and $10!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    I read the book (although a few years ago), and I totally LOVED this movie. Absolutely captured the devil-may-care attitude of the Dirk Pitt novels.

Definitely worth seeing, even if you haven't read any of the books.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I may be biased, since I'd pay to watch Matthew McConaughey read a phonebook for 2 hours but I really liked it. I also haven't read the book so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

That being said, it was just a super-fun adventure/comedy. Yes, some events are far-fetched, but who cares? It's a movie! Steve Zahn and MM had really good chemistry and Penelope was fairly believable in her part. Good action, some really funny lines and MM all tanned and sweaty for two hours All in all, a great way to spend a few hours and $10!
    I agree completely, on all accounts! Sure, you have a few moments where you say, "How did he know to do that?", but who cares? I thought it was a very fun movie. And Matthew is almost unbearably hunky.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I read the book and saw the movie. Although Matthew McConaughy is blond (they made him dark for the movie) and not as tall as Dirk Pitt (he is 6'4" in the book), he did a good job as Pitt. Also Dirk Pitt was a more intense, introspective sort of guy, while Matthew made him lighter in temperment. Besides, I also could watch Matt read a phone book - he is SEXY!! Yum. . yum.

However, the part of Giardino was terribly miscast. But, I can't imagine any actor of that age range that would be appropriate. Al Giardino was very short, very muscular, and very very strong. Steve Zach just isn't.

But, I enjoyed the movie and thought Matt and Penelope had terrific chemistry.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by aname
    I read the book and saw the movie. Although Matthew McConaughy is blond (they made him dark for the movie) and not as tall as Dirk Pitt (he is 6'4" in the book), he did a good job as Pitt. Also Dirk Pitt was a more intense, introspective sort of guy, while Matthew made him lighter in temperment. Besides, I also could watch Matt read a phone book - he is SEXY!! Yum. . yum.

However, the part of Giardino was terribly miscast. But, I can't imagine any actor of that age range that would be appropriate. Al Giardino was very short, very muscular, and very very strong. Steve Zach just isn't.

But, I enjoyed the movie and thought Matt and Penelope had terrific chemistry.
    I was wondering about the Al role and if someone would say how bad that was cast.....Al is a short stocky "tank" and i am sure they could have done better.....right off hand i got no idea on who would have done good Plus MM as Dirk? I'll have to see it to give a frank opinion

Watched it today, and I thought the movie was fun. Not as good as National Treasure, but still fun to watch. Ladies, I have to agree that Matthew M. was looking pretty sexy in this movie.

Hmm, we went to the theater for this; my husband LOVED it but I was a little disappointed. I just thought it was a fairly conventional Hollywood actioner.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

We just saw it today and I was really impressed. I don't care about some of the obvious plot holes, it was fun.

I loved Steve Zahn, probably one of the best part of the movies. And I don't know what it is, but as much as I hated Penelope Cruz before, she won me over. She kicked some major behind.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread