+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Oscar winning films!

Worst Oscar winning films!

What's your opinion on this:

Top Of The Oscar Flops

Mel Gibson's Braveheart has topped a list of history's worst Oscar winners.

The movie has been named and shamed alongside titles such as A Beautiful Mind, Rocky and Around The World In 80 Days.

The list of worst films was published by movie magazine Empire, just days before the 77th Academy Awards.

Braveheart, winner of the Best Picture Oscar in 1996, was a "typical piece of Pom-bashing," the magazine said.

"It's Mel Gibson's all-time worst Best Picture.

"Randall Wallace (the writer) might have merited praise for making 14th-century history relevant to audiences who thought King Edward was a potato or a cigar, but his dialogue has all the thudding subtlety of a parody," it said.

A Beautiful Mind, featuring Russell Crowe as the mathematician John Nash, came second for its "galling" win in 2002.

The film's "wilfully dishonest screenplay" and "clunkily intricate direction" added insult to injury, the magazine said.

The "tawdry circus spectacle" of 1952 movie The Greatest Show On Earth ranked third.

The "revisionist nonsense" of 1995 winner Forrest Gump, starring Tom Hanks as the man who has accidental meetings with important events in the US, was fifth.

Sylvester Stallone's Rocky, which won in 1977, was ninth with critics stating: "It was hardly surprising that the Academy should hail a picture restoring the American dream."

Empire magazine writer Patrick Peters said: "Critical worth is almost irrelevant where bestowing the Best Picture award is concerned.

"Scope and scale, the civic validity of the storyline, the plushness of the production values and the tissue count during those crucial heart-warming moments are what matter.

"The Oscars aren't about quality. They're peer group nods of approval and, as a result, there has been a surfeit of unworthy Best Pictures and, rest assured, there will be many more to come."

Here is the top ten:

1. Braveheart (1995)

2. A Beautiful Mind (2001)

3. The Greatest Show On Earth (1952)

4. Ordinary People (1980)

5. Forrest Gump (1994)

6. Terms Of Endearment (1983)

7. Around the World In 80 Days (1956)

8. Cavalcade (1933)

9. Rocky (1976)

10. How Green Was My Valley (1941)

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment...493.html?menu=

Hard to believe that Forest Gump beat Pulp Fiction to the Best Film in 1994!

Any other candidates?
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I still harbor resentment for Titanic beating LA Confidential for best picture. Also, I *hated* The English Patient (call me Elane Benes) and Shakespeare in Love was cute, but not best picture material--nomination or winner. ITA about A Beautiful Mind and Forrest Gump. Blehhhhh....

How could I forget Titanic, an absolute shocker of a film. Amazed it didn't make the list! I LOVE LA Confidential too!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

That sounded like a pretty catty article, though no one I'm familiar with is under the impression that "Best" automatically equals finest when it comes to Oscar choices.

There are too many people voting, and too many rationales for the votes, to without fail, come up with a consensus as to superiority; and even then, you may be pushed aside if you've been too superior lately.

There aren't any stinkers on that 10 worst list, and the subjective nature of voting allows for different aspects of a contending films character to be admired and acknowledged from year to year when determining "Best".

Catty or not, I must, must add Oliver! and Gandhi to that list. :rolleyes

Even though it didn't win the Oscar, but it got quite a bit of nods, I have to say LOST IN TRANSLATION! IT IS AWFUL!!!!

However, one that won. Shakespeare in Love. :phhht Alright film, but Saving Private Ryan was far superior!
    I actually love Forrest Gump

For some reason I could never stand The Deer Hunter. I thought is was terrible. I can't believe it won 5 Oscars including Best Picture. Ugh.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Oh, actually, scratch Gandhi. *feels guilty because <3 Ben Kingsley too much *

Let's stick On the Waterfront (basically a thin-veiled apologia for Kazan's sniveling invertebratism during the McCarthy era, and Marlon's performance was sooo affected :rolleyes) in there instead.

Add Gigi (dross) and My Fair Lady (floss) and hey! - we've got ourselves a party!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    Even though it didn't win the Oscar, but it got quite a bit of nods, I have to say LOST IN TRANSLATION! IT IS AWFUL!!!!

However, one that won. Shakespeare in Love. :phhht Alright film, but Saving Private Ryan was far superior!
    I actually love Forrest Gump
    I HATED Lost in Translation. Glad I'm not alone there. I just HATED IT!

I liked Shakespeare in love but, didn't get the Oscar bit. Saving Private Ryan terribly sad but, an awesome movie.

I LOVE FG!!!!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    For some reason I could never stand The Deer Hunter. I thought is was terrible. I can't believe it won 5 Oscars including Best Picture. Ugh.
    i hear ya
    i hate that movie.

I don't get it either. (I mean people loving it) UGH
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast