+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Oscar winning films!

Premium Member
    I don't think they are even thinking about what is the "best" when they vote.

Leftcoaster said it best. So did Chris Rock, when he said "awards for art are silly"(or something to that affect). All of this is so subjective. Who is to say that Million Dollar Baby is better than Sideways? Or any of the other movies? Would we watch movies if they made every single one appeal to every single person? Hell no!

BTW, I really enjoyed Lost in Translation, and yes, I'll admit*quick look over my shoulder*, I liked Titanic. I'll caveat that though....I first saw it about a year after it came out and won the Oscar. It was a time in my life where I could relate to the fictional story that was presented....I had just lost the "love of my life" who had really changed my view on life, and the Jack character just really reminded me of her. But that all just goes to show how subjective movies are.....one man's trash, is another man's treasure.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I felt emotionaly blackmailed by both Forrest Gump and Titanic. I hate feeling like the filmmaker is saying "Okay, now here's where we really make you cry! Cue the cheesy music!" :phhht
    My thoughts exactly. Sucktanic actually mad me angry, it was so hamfisted and hackneyed. Fitting that Celine Dion would sing the theme song.

But you didn't like The Deer Hunter? OK, I was, like, 20 when that movie came out, but it truly changed my thinking about war and violence and the nature of aggression.
    I might see it now and cringe (like I do that awful ballet movie, The Turning Point), but I recall being literally speechless after it was over. My friend and I had to recover with a bottle of wine and several bong hits.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Fort Member
    Loved Lost in Translation, Hated Titanic, Didnt mind Shakespere in Love but really did not think it deserved an Oscar, it really was just an ordinary film there must have been something better that year.
    The English Patient was way too long and boring and I found my mind wondering during Russell Crows wooden performace in The Gladiator, how he won is beyond me.
    I dont think Brave Heart was the least deserving, it wasnt a bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    My thoughts exactly. Sucktanic actually mad me angry, it was so hamfisted and hackneyed. Fitting that Celine Dion would sing the theme song.

But you didn't like The Deer Hunter? OK, I was, like, 20 when that movie came out, but it truly changed my thinking about war and violence and the nature of aggression.
    I might see it now and cringe (like I do that awful ballet movie, The Turning Point), but I recall being literally speechless after it was over. My friend and I had to recover with a bottle of wine and several bong hits.
    Oh candor, I was nodding my head in agreement until you dissed The Turning Point! I LOVE that movie! Of course, I grew up in ballet and will watch anything dance-related. BUT- how can you not LOVE that glorious catfight between Shirley MacLaine and Anne Bancroft!? The first glimpes of a delicious and young Baryshnikov? I still watch it whenever it's on. I even get dorkily gushy over it, as you can see
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I really hated Chicago.

I have to add my 2 worth

Of all the movies who've won for Best Picture:

Titanic -- absolutely hated this, what a horrendous and pompous bore. Plus, anything with Leonardo DiCaprio in it is an automatic turnoff for me.

The English Patient -- another snoozefest

A Beautiful Mind -- Boring, boring, boring with Russell Crowe's over-acting a major distraction

Forrest Gump -- /sigh I've tried to like this. Actually, I've tried hard to get all the way through watching it, but it is so boring and so contrived that the 5-6 times I've tried to watch it all the way through, I have to turn off the tv or switch channels at some point.

Unforgiven -- Way too long, Clint Eastwood's character had no charisma. Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman were great, but Clint Eastwood's character had no charisma. I think either A Few Good Men or Scent of a Woman would have been better Oscar pics that year.

Dances With Wolves -- Has got to rank #1 or #2 as most boring film of all time. If they cut the length by half, would have improved it a lot, but not enough to rescue it from painful boredom.

The Greatest Show on Earth -- no it wasn't
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    For the record, I think the awards shouldn't be given out until ten years after the picture was made so the voters can see which movies have "legs" and can meet the test of time as a classic. Enough of this the bigger and prettier the picture the more awards or the hype vote. If you can watch a movie ten years later and not laugh out loud at the fact that it won an award, then it should have won.

Add Around the World in 80 Days to the list of bad Oscar movies please.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    I really hated Chicago.
    Me TOO! I was trying to remember which other movie I couldn't stand and that's it! Before I finally saw it (on TV - thank God I didn't pay $8+ to see it), everyone kept telling me how much I'd love it since I used to dance. UGH. Couldn't stand it. Catherine was great but she couldn't save the movie. Serious disappointment. :phhht
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Almost walked out of Chicago! Was expecting something like Moulin Rouge.
    NOW Moulin Rouge would have deserverd an oscar, it was FABULOUS. Chicago was simply dreadful and I'm sorry, but CZJ was the worst thing in it!!!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast