+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Oscar winning films!

Whoosh! Glad I'm not the only one. That whole opening wedding scene was boring as hell and seemed to take up the first half of the movie. I can only think of one scene that was even any good.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Oh, actually, scratch Gandhi. *feels guilty because <3 Ben Kingsley too much *

Let's stick On the Waterfront (basically a thin-veiled apologia for Kazan's sniveling invertebratism during the McCarthy era, and Marlon's performance was sooo affected :rolleyes) in there instead.

Add Gigi (dross) and My Fair Lady (floss) and hey! - we've got ourselves a party!
    Gigi, Sacrilige Nausi, I love that movie! I've never worn jewellery since I saw that, not even a watch. I also loved Brando in On The Waterfront, the Best Actor ever, regardless of Kazan naming names. Titantic, Rocky, and Ordinary People top my list as worst winners, but Mary Tyler Moore's performance in Ordinary People was flawless. Also hated On Golden Pond. I think sometimes comedies and musicals are underrated because they seem so effortless and the Academy seems to like message pictures or someone overcoming a disability aka Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot, Tom Hanks, Philadelphia, William Hurt's la flamme, Kiss of The Spiderwoman ( o.k not a disability but you get the drift ) . A Beautiful Mind is another winner I didn't like and they left out the fact that Nash was gay or bisexual in the least. Pulp Fiction and The Crying Game deserved to win Best Pic's, but didn't because of the subject manner. My favorite underdog winner though, is Midnight Cowboy, so sometimes the Oscar does go to the movie most deserving.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 02-26-2005 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    How could I forget Titanic, an absolute shocker of a film. Amazed it didn't make the list! I LOVE LA Confidential too!
    Okay, I'm a third "LA Confidential" fan that felt it was incredibly robbed by the overrated bore of "Titanic." Shoot, the only thing well done about "Titanic" was the scene where the ship broke in half (oh my, did I just ruin it for anyone? )

"Lost in Translation" was so horrid I stopped the tape half way through, rewound it, and returned it to Blockbuster. Thank goodness I didn't go to the theater.

"Lost in Translation" had some funny bits, but was otherwise extremely boring. I think I got through about an hour of it before switching DVDs.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Aw, I really enjoyed Lost in Translation. It's a rather subtle sort of movie.

I haven't seen a whole slew of the winners, I fear, but I definitely didn't like Titanic. I can't believe it didn't make the list!

I may not have always agreed with the Academy's choice for Best Picture, but I've also never seen an Oscar-winning movie that I would consider bad. Whoever wrote that article is just a snob. (And why isn't the author's name included?)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Shoot, the only thing well done about "Titanic" was the scene where the ship broke in half (oh my, did I just ruin it for anyone? )
    Damn you Broadway!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Hey! I like Forrest Gump. That's one of the few movies I could watch over and over again, and not get tired of. It's a classic.

I guess the list is completely subjective because I also like A Beautiful Mind and Braveheart. Admittedly, the latter is a B-movie at heart. But who cares? It's great entertainment.

Like some posters here, I hated Lost in Translation at first. But it's meditative mood stuck with me long after I viewed it. Now it's one of my favourites. Watch it when you're feeling blue.

I hated Braveheart!. I can't believe alot of the movies that win Oscars! I haven't/wouldn't watch half of them.

I felt emotionaly blackmailed by both Forrest Gump and Titanic. I hate feeling like the filmmaker is saying "Okay, now here's where we really make you cry! Cue the cheesy music!" :phhht

LOVED LA Confidential, Ghandhi, The Deer Hunter, One Golden Pond, Shakespeare in Love (maybe it didn't deserve best picture, but I still loved it), The English Patient and a few others that have been mentioned.

I definitelty did not get the big deal over Braveheart. I've never been a Mel Gibson fan. I also hated Dances With Wolves (didn't that win best picture?). Kevin Costner has a very high opinion of himself and his acting ability.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    There aren't any stinkers on that 10 worst list, and the subjective nature of voting allows for different aspects of a contending films character to be admired and acknowledged from year to year when determining "Best".
    Hear, hear! You know something's up when Julia Roberts owns one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast