+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations Announced

Yay!! Now that the noms are out, I get to play "Who Wants to be a Film Critic/Oscar Prophet?" Only, I think, not being so much of a spleen-venting jade like Dilys Powell. (And also not so well informed...guess who's only seen barely half of the films listed? .)

Anyway, bugger that. My predictions for Oscar-worthies:

Best Actor:
    Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda (Because Hollywood likes superficial garment-rending over wars and sob stories and the triumph of the human spirit. It's like the trifecta for getting Oscars. Although one must watch out for Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles.)

Best Supporting Actor:
    Clive Owen - Closer (He along with Natalie Portman gave the only respectable performances in this icky Mike Nichols vehicle.)

Best Actress:
    Annette Bening - Being Julia (No reason in particular, I guess. Just process of elimination. Swank's too young and won before, the Maria Full of Grace actress is too obscure, Kate Winslet might stage an upset, but considering Benning is the once-denied veteran, this is hers to lose, I say.)

Best Supporting Actress:
    Laura Linney - Kinsey (Hollywood loves biopics. I say she wins, in the tradition of Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind.)

Animated Film:
    The Incredibles (Because Shrek won before, and Shark Tales? Pffft.)

Cinematography:
    House of Flying Daggers (No contest, I think. Not a great movie, but the bamboo chase sequence and the drumdance. The landscape. Gah. With The Passion of the Christ a darkhorse, simply because for such a controversial and elephantine movie it's shut out of nearly everthing else, so this might be its consolation prize.)

Best Director:
    Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby (Clint's pretty old-school as a director, but Hollywood loves him almost as much as they love Jack Nicholson, and I have to concede he does have skillz.)

Foreign Film:
    The Sea Inside (Because I haven't heard of the other ones save for France's The Chorus, and my friend who did see this raved about its sympathetic yet uncompromising attitude towards disability. Also, Javier is hot, she said.)

Adaptation:
    The Motorcycle Diaries (Screenplay adapted from Che's adolescent road-trip musings. Its pedigree and nascent revolutionary zeal pleases me to no end.)

Original Screenplay:
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Because for such a great and creative and poignant movie, it deserves something, so why not its screenplay, which shines the most out of all its good qualities?)

And, for $64,000, the big kahuna, the Oscar to end all Oscars...
    Best Pic:
    I'm going to say Million Dollar Baby again. I didn't really like it because I thought (not to sound like a snot) it lacked innovation and thematically even verged on cliche, but it's the most immediately powerful movie of the bunch. Sideways is a major contender for this category, though.)

Whew! Guess who has alot of spare time today?
    Last edited by nausicaa; 01-25-2005 at 03:29 PM.

The only one I care about is Best Actor.

I sincerely hope and pray that Jamie Foxx takes it home. He put his heart and soul in that role, and he became Ray, something I think no one but him could have done.

Don Cheadle also I think just as deserving. I haven't seen him in the movie, but have heard tons of positive things about it and he seems very Oscar-Worthy indeed!

I'm not sure what I would do if they call out the winner for Best Actor and it's not Jamie Foxx. I'll probably call out foul play...

I wish both could win!

I was dissapointed Liam Neeson wasn't nominated for Kinsey. Michael Moore did not submit his movie in the documentary category, hoping his pic would be nominated in the Best Picture category instead. Little ego, Mikey?

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    None for either Kerry washington or Regina King.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I was dissapointed Liam Neeson wasn't nominated for Kinsey. Michael Moore did not submit his movie in the documentary category, hoping his pic would be nominated in the Best Picture category instead. Little ego, Mikey?

Lmao! exactly was i was about to say about Micheal moore, Very egocentric of him.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Wow...All i really care about in here is what ever has the Incredibles in it lol. It always seems I never see any of the Oscar Movies except last year with LOTR. Anyways, I hope the Aviator takes most of it because I usually like all of DiCaprio's movies.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I didn't really like it because I thought (not to sound like a snot) it lacked innovation and thematically even verged on cliche, but it's the most immediately powerful movie of the bunch. Sideways is a major contender for this category, though.)
    I think a majority of classic movies are just artful clichés, if you break them down enough. It's all in the execution, and the result was immediately powerful in this case. Yet, I still don't particularly care about any of the movies in this category... Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was both a critical and popular hit and fairly innovative. I would have liked to see it up for best picture.

Closer was a painful experience, but I think it offered Clive and Natalie meaty supporting roles to show off their talent.

Just to clarify, I was not guessing, only playing God. I like most of nausicaa's predictions and the logic behind them.
    Last edited by Salome; 01-25-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
    AUTISM IS A WORLD
    THE CHILDREN OF LENINGRADSKY
    HARDWOOD
    MIGHTY TIMES: THE CHILDREN'S MARCH
    SISTER ROSE'S PASSION
    www.oscar.com

The Documentary HARDWOOD was created by Hubert Davis, whom is my older brothers childhood friend! My parents actually went to the first screening of this film, and they said it was amazing! It is Huberts first film and we all really hope it wins!

FORT Fan
    Scorsese will get Best Director because so many votes WANT to give him an Oscar. The Aviator's not a groundbreaking movie, but it's the kind of solid, high quality level we expect from him. What's important is that it doesn't have any obvious flaws. This whole year the award's been Scorsese's to lose. I hope they don't go overboard like last year with Return of the King and vote for him in every possible category to try and shower him with as many Oscars as they can.

Jamie Foxx's second nomination makes me scratch my head. It's popularity from Ray spilling over into another category. It's a collateral nomination! *. Collateral's a B-movie concept and if anyone deserves credit for raising it above that level it's Michael Mann.

I wanted to see Eternal Sunshine take one of the Best Picture nominations over Finding Neverland or Ray (I haven't seen Ray.) At least Kate Winslet was recognized. She was more deserving anyway.

Did anyone besides me and Roget Ebert think Spider-man 2 deserved serious consideration for some of the major awards, like Best Picture or Best Director? I get laughed at every time I bring that up, but then most people admit they enjoyed the movie more than some of the other nominees.

*Ok I know that pun was lame but admit it you thought of it too, didn't you? You were just too embarrased to say it out loud.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    (Upset!) Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    THE INCREDIBLES

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS