+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sideways

Sideways

SUMMARY from hollywood.com:
    A wine tasting road trip to salute Jack's final days as a bachelor careens woefully sideways as he and Miles hit the gas en route to mid-life crises. The comically mismatched pair, who share little more than their history and a heady blend of failed potential and fading youth, soon find themselves drowning in wine and women. Emerging from a haze of pinot noir, wistful yearnings and trepidation about the future, the two inevitably collide with reality.
    CAST
    Paul Giamatti .... Miles Raymond
    Thomas Haden Church .... Jack
    Virginia Madsen .... Maya
    Sandra Oh .... Stephanie

I definitely wasn't the intended audience, but my mom didn't want to go alone and offered to take me out for coffee afterwards. () Sideways reminded me a bit of Adaptation, yet very realistic. The backdrop was true California. Some touching and funny moments, especially if you know wine snobs.

Ooh, "failed potential and fading youth"...how cheery. Just in time for the holidays.

Premium Member
    I really enjoyed it... they could make a movie just around all the tidbits of wine knowledge Paul's character was dispersing - quite interesting, rather it was all accurate or not, lol. And I just had to go see it opening night, due to my persistent crush on Virginia Madsen since that movie 'Fire with Fire' came out back in 1986, hehe. And Thomas Hayden Church is always entertaining, I find, so I thought the movie was quite worth the time spent.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Ooh, "failed potential and fading youth"...how cheery. Just in time for the holidays.
    Surprisingly, it's not terribly depressing.
    I'd call it maybe... "Garden State, Sr."

I really enjoyed this movie (although it had one of the most disturbing sex and nude scenes I have ever seen in my life....I was laughing so hard I was choking) My girlfriend with me is a wine buff and she was nodding her head and saying things like "oh that is so true" throughout the movie. It does make me want to take a tour of wine country.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I would love to see this, it looks fantastic, and I'm a fan of Paul Giamatti and director Alexander Payne (I really liked Election and About Schmidt). I'm waiting for the DVD though.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I really enjoyed this movie (although it had one of the most disturbing sex and nude scenes I have ever seen in my life....I was laughing so hard I was choking) My girlfriend with me is a wine buff and she was nodding her head and saying things like "oh that is so true" throughout the movie. It does make me want to take a tour of wine country.
    Oh my God, nothing like a little
    Click to see Spoiler:
    male full frontal
    , eh? WOW! I was at a sold-out showing and the entire audience was roaring with laughter! It was fantastic! The lady behind me and my husband had the funniest laugh, she kept making us laugh even harder. I love watching other audience member reactions, and a lot of folks were nodding their head in agreement, or laughing extra hard at the wine snob comments in the movie. Just excellent, and great scenery.

I'm still so angry Paul Giamatti was overlooked for an Oscar nomination. It doesn't make sense! But I'm very glad his co-star got one. The character Jack was such a TURD! I adore the entire cast, though. Virginia Madsen is breathtakingly gorgeous. Paul Giamatti is my favorite. He's such a great actor and always makes me laugh. Loved him in American Splendor! Sandra Oh is just so cool and another actor who's great in everything she does.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Yeah, that was pretty much the funniest sex scene ever.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    All with George W. on the news
    , what a perfect touch!

We saw this yesterday, and loved it. Great movie, I might even get the DVD someday as I would love to watch this again (maybe with a bottle of wine ).
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

CCL
    Hm, I guess I'm the only one who found this movie way overrated. It was okay but not spectacular by any means. I fail to see how Virginia Madsen got a nomination for an Oscar when her role was so nondescript. Actually, I don't know how the movie got so many nominations at all. But hey, different strokes, different folks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast