+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Rwanda - 12/22

I will definitely be seeing this, if only to see how much will be the story of Paul Rusesabagina, and how much will be Hollywood.

The cynic in me sniggers that likely they've made this is into a life-affirming "story of the human spirit" at the sake of a million corpses.

I saw it today. It will definitely be nominated for Best Picture. It's very Schindler's List-esque. Lots of human suffering with the lead character being sort of the light that guides the weak. But it's not overly dramatic. By the end of the movie, there is no sense of upliftment. You actually feel helpless that nothing can done about it now, now that it's past. A miniscule victory in a massive war.

The only flaw in the movie, if you can call it that, is that it's very straightforward. No fancy camera angles or big musical score. (Actually, the music does help create tension for a lot of scenes. It just feels very naturally done.) It's anti-Spielberg in this respect.

Don Cheadle will definitely be nominated and probably will win an Oscar. He's in pretty much every scene, so the whole movie is essentially seen through his eyes. It's interesting to watch everyone try to cling onto his character as if he's their last hope. It's like he's performing a juggling act the whole movie.

Thanks for posting, happyblue. Your reassurances make me feel a lot more optimistic about this movie.

I finally saw Hotel Rwanda and found it really disturbing, one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in a long time, and by that I mean it was good. "Story of the human spirit" was not the best description; I thought the movie had more tragedy than heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I finally saw Hotel Rwanda and found it really disturbing, one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in a long time, and by that I mean it was good. "Story of the human spirit" was not the best description; I thought the movie had more tragedy than heroism.
    Well yeah, that's the situation. It should make you feel that way. So, I think it's safe to say it's done it's job.

I'm going to see this with my mom tonight. Since we lived in South Africa in the 70's, she has always liked movies set in Africa. I hope it's not too much for her. Is the violence very graphic? She's kind of wussy about that sort of thing.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Mom and I never made it to the movie, so I still haven't seen it. Anyone care to comment on how graphic the violence is? I don't want my mom abandoning me halfway through the movie if we end up going this weekend.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    Mom and I never made it to the movie, so I still haven't seen it. Anyone care to comment on how graphic the violence is? I don't want my mom abandoning me halfway through the movie if we end up going this weekend.
    I didn't find it very graphic at all in terms of the amount of blood spilled on screen. But the movie is about genocide, and you do get a sense of the vast amount of violence taking place. Your mom may still find it too suspenseful/disturbing. I wish I could help more, but it depends from person to person.

Thanks Salome. As long as the blood and gore is kept to a minimum she'll probably be just fine. She is sophisticated enough to understand that violence is real and she doesn't shy away from the concept, she just gets a little sick when she sees it up close.

Can't wait to see this, not only for the story, but also to see what all the hubbub is about on Don Cheadle's performance.
    -Richard Brautigan

We got the DVD last week, and I have to say...wow...what an incredible movie. It's a shame Don Cheadle couldn't have tied Jamie Foxx for the Oscar. Yes, this one is a bit intense, but it is well worth it IMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast