+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 12/17

I'd never heard of the books so I didn't go into the movie with any expectations.
    I saw it this weekend with my husband and eldest son and we all really enjoyed it.
    I find Jim Carrey a bit tiresome at times, he can just be a little too OTT for me, but this movie was a great vehicle for him.

I also never read the books but loved the movie. As Gutmutter set, the casting was excellent. The way they portrayed Sunny was completely hilarious and brilliant. The scenery and the costumes were amazing.
    Loved it!

I liked it a lot but it was kinda choppy imo, not like a completely flowing storyline. I thought Carrey was awesome, he seemed like he was a real dangerous villian but at the same time you knew or at least felt like he was truly a nice guy because it's Jim Carrey playing the role and because it's a kid's movie.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    I am wondering if I should take my kids to see this. They have been asking. It seems like the story-line is kind of an "every fear a child ever has come true" thing. I read about parents dying, a bad guardian trying to kill them in multiple scenarios. So I worry about my 9 yr old who is kind of an anxious kid, I wouldn't want this to give him more things to worry about. I guess it could be empowering to see these children inventively overcome, but I am wondering if there is anything good or redeeming or happy in this movie. The title suggusts otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders
    I am wondering if I should take my kids to see this. They have been asking. It seems like the story-line is kind of an "every fear a child ever has come true" thing. I read about parents dying, a bad guardian trying to kill them in multiple scenarios. So I worry about my 9 yr old who is kind of an anxious kid, I wouldn't want this to give him more things to worry about. I guess it could be empowering to see these children inventively overcome, but I am wondering if there is anything good or redeeming or happy in this movie. The title suggusts otherwise.
    There's not. Hence, it's a SERIES of unfortunate events. My 7 year old nephew saw it and was scared during some parts, but he's a wuss.

But hmm... I'd probably take someone who's a fan of the books and has read them.

Based on movie alone it was a very good movie, the producers and actors did very well with it.Having read the books however I wasn't pleased with the way they changed it.The movie included 3 books which weren't even the 1st three in the series and they mixed up all the parts.I mean in "The Bad Beginning" Count Olaf tries to marry Violet in his play but they put this part at the end.It was totally messed up.If you haven't read the books you'll love it, if you've read them you might be a little perturbed.On another note I have to say I loved Sunny's subtitles especially the "bite me" one.

Maude - this is not a feel-good movie. Anxious children may not enjoy it. If you have read the books you may not like the fact that it mixes up the storylines and has completely new scenes not in the book. However, after initially being upset by that, my 13 yr. old daughter decided she liked the movie seperate from the books after all. I enjoyed it immensely.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by D/WBB5
    The movie included 3 books which weren't even the 1st three in the series and they mixed up all the parts.
    Yes they were.

They were given to Olaf (book 1), given to Monty (book 2), given to Josephine (book 3) then sent back to Olaf to do the Marvelous Marriage (book 1 again)

I enjoyed this movie, I have never read the books though so I did not notice that the storyline had changed. The little girl who played Sunny was such a cute little actress and they did a great job with her. Jim Carey did well and did not take it to the extreme to much like he sometimes has a tendency to do.

I haven't read the books but loved the movie
    wow ..
    Jude Law was Lemony Snicket eh .. i would of never guessed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast