+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "King of the World" voted cheesiest movie line

"King of the World" voted cheesiest movie line

Survey: 'Titanic' earns cheesiest movie line
    Tuesday, December 7, 2004 Posted: 9:25 AM EST (1425 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Although "Titanic" soared at the box office in 1997, according to a recent survey, its most memorable line -- "I'm the king of the world!" -- sunk.

British baker Warburtons posed the question "What are your top three cheesiest moments in film?" to 2,000 U.K. moviegoers in celebration of the launch of their new cheese-flavored crumpets.

The line uttered by Leonardo DiCaprio was followed by Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts baby in the corner" from 1987's "Dirty Dancing" and Andie McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed," from the end of 1994's "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

Warburtons reports that surveyed women opted for romantic comedy moments from films such as "Notting Hill" and "Jerry Maguire" and men preferred silly scenes from action flicks like "Top Gun" and "Braveheart."

Despite the gender divide, 33 percent of the overall vote unanimously agreed on the "Titanic" yell as the cheesiest moment.

The list of big cheese moments:

1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"
    2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
    3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."
    4. "Ghost": Demi Moore's "Ditto," to Patrick Swayze's "I love you."
    5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: "You can be my wingman anytime."
    6. "Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her."
    7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
    8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"
    9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."
    10. "The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner: "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No, I'm a postman."
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Jerry Macguire - "You complete me".

One of the worst lines in all of movie history.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"
    When I think of that saying, I always think, instead, of Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) saying that to Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) when they're goofing around on the boat and he falls in with a cigarrette in his mouth.

8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"
    All these years I thought it was "They may take our wives.... " Derp!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    Jerry Macguire - "You complete me".

One of the worst lines in all of movie history.

And I always thought "you had me at hello" was the worst. At least the "You complete me" line had a tie in with the cute scene earlier in the movie.
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

How did the Notting Hill got in the cheesiest movie line? I LOVE that quote. I don't know I think coz I'm being pathetic lately :phhht

Patrick Swayze must be ever so proud to be mentioned on this list twice.

"Nobody puts Swayze in a corner!"
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I love Nottinghill as much as the next person BUT .... I think number 6 should have been number 1 because that line really is too cheezy lol ..... No matter how deep into the movie I am at the time, I always cringe when that line comes up lol

Like Rumpshaker, I thought "Bridget Jones" when I read that "king of the world" was voted cheesiest line.... although it was not cheesy in the Bridget Jones context, it was funny ... in Titanic...... yup........cheeez
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    "i'm king of the world" is rightfully number one. I remember cringing everytime I heard it parodied, or was on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntcrow
    "i'm king of the world" is rightfully number one. I remember cringing everytime I heard it parodied, or was on tv.
    I cringe every time I remember Titanic director James Cameron yelling that line out when accepting an Academy Award for the movie. How embarassing for him.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I do have to agree with the "is it raining? I didn't notice" line from Four Weddings being very cheesy, I love the movie, but have always hated that line.

But the clear winner is "I'm king of the world!"
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast