+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alexander - 11/24

Alexander - 11/24

Adaptation, Biopic, Drama Rated: R Runtime: 2 hrs 56 mins

From Hollywood.com

The true story of one of history's most luminous and influential leaders, Alexander the Great-ľa man who had conquered 90% of the known world by the age of twenty-seven. Alexander led his virtually invincible Greek and Macedonian armies through 22,000 miles of sieges and conquests in just eight years, and by the time of his death at the age of thiry-two had forged an empire unlike any the world had ever seen. The story chronicles Alexander's path to becoming a living legend, from a youth fueled by dreams of myth, glory and adventure to his lonely death as a ruler of a vast Empire. Alexander is the incredible story of a life that united the Known World and proved, if nothing else, fortune favors the bold.
    Cast: Colin Farrell , Anthony Hopkins , Angelina Jolie , Jared Leto , Rosario Dawson

Director: Oliver Stone

The movie makes it clear that the love of Alexander's life is Hephastion (Jared Leto ) but I've read they do not kiss! What a rip off, I'm been waiting for this movie for years. I hope Baz's version is better.

well i heard they depict him as bisexual in the movie

and the greeks are aparently outraged--they are actually gonna try and sue

i would post the article in current events, but the site i saw it on didnt have a url with it

Jay
    The local paper was brutal in the review. The movie was rated a bomb.

Wow i wonder why the greeks are so upset. It Is part of history and it was normal in that time for Greek men to be bisexual. Its history!
    I just hope its better than troy.
    Ive heard its one of the Oscar contenders...(*hopes not*)

This movie was a big waste of time and money (mine and the movie studio). Maybe the movie will have a chance at winning awards for categories like costumes but definitely not acting or writing.

Overall this film was a big disappointment. I now can understand why some Greeks are upset. Alexander's portrayal was gay along with the whole army.
    He only mated with females a few times for reproduction without any type of love. The nude fight scene with Rosario Dawson had nothing to do with lust or passion. Her character was mad because she had just discovered on her wedding night that Alexander's true love was male.

I don't know why they made such a big deal out of bleaching Colin Farrell's hair blond when most of the time he had black roots, thick black eyebrows, and black facial growth along with his usual brown eyes. The younger Alexander actor had blond hair and blue eyes.

This movie was a complete mess. I also don't think the nationalities were portrayed correctly for the nations that they were conquering. Prior to the movie I thought Rosario would be from Africa but she was described as Asian which seems like a stretch to me. The actors in a fight scene in the jungles of India also did not look Indian. Although, I must admit that most of the time I was only vaguely aware of their exact location during their endless trek to destroy, conquer, and rule all those barbarians.
    Last edited by sugarlady; 11-25-2004 at 01:35 AM.

The fake accents were also annoying, heavy, and hard to understand. I don't know what was the purpose because obviously during that time period the people would have been speaking their native language. A reenactment using normal English would have made more sense and been easier to understand since it was decided to not use native languages and subtitles.

Actually the real Roxanne was from India...
    Thanks for the thoughts because i wanted to see the movie because im a alexander-history fan. Looks like the movie ruined the historical alexander...

P.S: Alexander was bi(common thing for the greeks(macedonians) at that time)

Quote Originally Posted by Aalydah
    P.S: Alexander was bi(common thing for the greeks(macedonians) at that time)
    I am far from an expert on the subject and I normally don't notice obvious goof ups in movies. So based on that I don't have to read the bad reviews by critics. If I noticed so many obvious errors, it is no wonder that so many experts on the time period are in an uproar.

I am well aware of the European history of armies traveling with young males as lovers. A bisexual man loves making love to men and women. The only love in this movie was between Alexander and males. The only intimate scene with a female was the fight scene with Rosario while there were numerous scenes of his lusting after some pretty young male thing. I felt deceived by all the press about that one nude scene with Rosario. It was even mentioned in the movie that he no longer even bothered to sleep with the barren Roxanne for years while she longingly watched him spend time with males. Later in the movie it was mentioned that she had a son, so one could only assume that he slept with her again at least once in an effort to have a successor.

Jared Leto was so fine in this movie. He mentioned that he bulked up for the role and his chest was simply marvelous. He looks like he has dropped the extra muscle since the movie. I think he looks too thin now. He has such beautiful large expressive eyes. I did not know anything about him prior to this movie.
    Last edited by sugarlady; 11-26-2004 at 12:24 AM.

** BEWARE - SPOILERISH **

I saw it and thought it was an interesting movie. I would recommend it to people interested in history of that time period. I really love battle movies, but I didn't expect much battling in this movie. And I didn't get much. The one battle we did see however was really well done. Stone added a little artistic edge to it with the hawk and the zooming on the dust of the battle. What I really liked though, were the times when we saw shots that depicted the course of the battle (like when we saw the "Macedonian Center" title as the battle progressed along) and more technical depictions of the battle. I was extremely interested in knowing just how Alexander won the battle and where every unit on the field was and how they were doing. The movie at least tried that a little, but sadly a lot of the battle's progress was lost in the dust.

Regarding Alexander's sexuality, I personally am not too interested in that, and thought Stone seemed a little too interested - he dedicated too much time to it, I thought. He really spent a lot of time showing Alexander yearning for someone else (man or woman), when I wanted to see Alexander do more of the things a conqueror would have done, i.e. logistical planning of attacks and the tough decisions he has to make as his campaign goes on. I did get some of that but not nearly enough.

One last thing, I found it intersesting that Ptolemy (Anthony Hopkins) made the whole "fear and how you deal with it" thing a theme to Alexander's life when the actual movie shows Alexander's main struggles being:

1. How he deals and feels with his entourage (whether they be his advisors or his lovers).
    2. What his destiny in this whole conquering thing actually is (whether he should go on or turn back).

However, I really didn't see fear as being too much of a factor in his character. Whatever his choices were, he had absolutely no hesitation once he made his mind up.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast