+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alexander - 11/24

This movie just does not appeal to me at all.
    I do think they've assembled a talented cast, but Farrell seems so badly miscast as to actually be comical.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    I am far from an expert on the subject and I normally don't notice obvious goof ups in movies. So based on that I don't have to read the bad reviews by critics. If I noticed so many obvious errors, it is no wonder that so many experts on the time period are in an uproar.

I am well aware of the European history of armies traveling with young males as lovers. A bisexual man loves making love to men and women. The only love in this movie was between Alexander and males. The only intimate scene with a female was the fight scene with Rosario while there were numerous scenes of his lusting after some pretty young male thing. I felt deceived by all the press about that one nude scene with Rosario. It was even mentioned in the movie that he no longer even bothered to sleep with the barren Roxanne for years while she longingly watched him spend time with males. Later in the movie it was mentioned that she had a son, so one could only assume that he slept with her again at least once in an effort to have a successor.

Bi or not he slept with both sexes. We will never know the complete facts of his life ( Was he bi,gay of what ever? was he murdered,poisoned? did he kill his father(plotted to)?
    I too believe that casting Colin as Alexander was a bad choice, even Angelina seemed a little too young for the role( thats my opinion)
    I just hope this movie doesnt get an oscar nomination(cuz it's oliver stone's)
    In the oscar watch webpages many people said it would get a nom(hope not!)

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I do think they've assembled a talented cast, but Farrell seems so badly miscast as to actually be comical.
    I have to agree. I have enjoyed Colin Farrell in other movies even Phone Booth which was no big budget master piece. But I did not enjoy any aspect of his performance in this film and was completely bored and turned off most of the time.

I also normally like Anthony Hopkins, Angelina, and Rosario but not in this film. Angelina and Rosario irritated me with their thick irrelevant accents. Angelina was put in aging makeup toward the end of the film to look older.

I have loved Anthony Hopkins' acting for decades but I was so distracted by how red his face was in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalydah
    I just hope this movie doesnt get an oscar nomination(cuz it's oliver stone's)
    In the oscar watch webpages many people said it would get a nom(hope not!)
    I read that this film is a $160 million epic. I think Oliver Stone duped the investors and movie studio out of a massive amount of money based on his status so he really doesn't deserve any Oscars. Most of the cast were extras and I was not impressed with any editing or special effects.

Greece at that time had different sexual mores than we have today. Men did not define themselves as gay, straight or bisexual, but rather on whether they took the passive or active role with the partner they are with. Social class also determined your position, therefore in modern terms, Alexander was the top. There was no shame in men having sex with each other, as long as the role you played kept the status quo. Why are the Greeks upset? Do they want to re-write history and make Alexander completley heterosexual. That would be a real travesty, and kudo's for Oliver Stone for not side stepping a sensitive subject. For me, the film isn't gay enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    For me, the film isn't gay enough.
    For me the film was too gay and not at all bisexual. I was not pleased with spending 3 hours focused on Alexander's sexuality.

I'm going to see it tonight, but what I've read is that there is not even a kiss between Alexander and Hephastion, so I've find it ironic that people are complaining that it's too gay. Did people complain that Malcolm X was too black?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Did people complain that Malcolm X was too black?
    They didn't have to because if they felt that way it was obvious that they shouldn't go see the movie and they didn't.

I saw Oliver Stone do an interview on The View along with Colin, Angelina, Rosario, and Jared before I went to see the movie. Oliver described Alexander as bisexual. Much ado was again made about nothing when discussing the one nude scene between Rosario and Colin. I feel like Oliver Stone was deliberately being deceptive to deflect all the criticism he has gotten from people who are unhappy with his portrayal of Alexander.

During the movie I kept thinking that if I was a gay man, I would really be into this movie.

oh the greeks dont want to rewrite history, they said alexander should have been depicted as gay not bisexual, that's why they are so mad

they said they was nothing bi about him

i really wish i could have posted that article

There's a nude scene w/ Colin? Do you see any of Colin?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast