+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD censoring?

DVD censoring?

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I thought I would ask. Has anybody noticed any censoring in DVD's? I bought The Breakfast Club on DVD and the part where they go to Bender's locker and it says "...and you die FAG!" on it is blurred out! What's up with that?! Anybody know anything about this?

If that is what is happening, then it is probably a sign of things to come. With all the hoopla on TV right now on things that aren't really offensive and people making them bigger, it makes you wonder what is next. Are they going to start regulating what we watch because someone else deems it offensive? Heck, if you watch Bugs Bunny cartoons, aren't they offensive by todays standards? I mean come on, Those cartoons rank on Chinese, Germans and gays. But because it was 40 years ago and a CARTOON that made people laugh, is it all right?. South Park, Family Guy and the Simpsons should then be deemed offensive, but they are not because they are cartoons and with cartoons you can put in so many meTaphors and inuendos that kids will not pick up on it till later in life. All in the Family shouldn't even be on TV these days if we go by the Tipper Gore's of the world. That is one funny show and I'm a minority. It just makes you laugh that today we view things offensive that really aren't. My thing is that so many people jumped on the Janet Jackson thing only because it was in the moment. People say I was offended because I was watching it with my kids.....please you mean to tell me that your kids and mine don't see or hear more offensive things in the schoolyard? That's where most of us learned everything. Sorry for the rant but when it comes to standards on censorship and Politicians that squawk about right and wrong, that trickles down to the FCC and studios, television and radio..and now after so many ratings dominating years Howard Stern is going where they can't touch him ...yet. Next Television will follow suit and my cable bill will triple.......Thanks.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by karna68
    Has anybody noticed any censoring in DVD's?
    I've heard that Blockbuster edits DVDs and videos that they deem offensive, and I think Walmart was mentioned too.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasmq
    Heck, if you watch Bugs Bunny cartoons, aren't they offensive by todays standards?
    There are a bunch of older cartoons that aren't shown anymore because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    I've heard that Blockbuster edits DVDs and videos that they deem offensive, and I think Walmart was mentioned too.

There are a bunch of older cartoons that aren't shown anymore because of that.
    If Blockbuster is editing films based on their definition of offensive, they will lose my patronage, but quick.

I am incensed by the censorship that is going on in the U.S. now. What happened to the First Amendment. Oh yes, we have four more years of a repressive administration determined to destroy our freedoms one by one.

If I find a film, book, tv show, or anything else to be offensive, I simply won't read or watch it. I don't need any governmental, religious, or corporate entity deciding what is appropriate for me to see or what I should consider to be appropriate.

It would seem that George Orwell's predictive novel was just 20 years too early.

yes Wal*Mart edits all their content. As well as a couple other retails.
    you always got to make sure of if they do or not.
    simply return it saying you were unaware that it was edited and do not want that kind of version.

yes but the only problem with that is, once you've opened the dvd and ripped off that strip on the top of it, you cant return it and get your money back, its some law--a copyright thing

the best you can do is get a gift certificate to that place in the same amount

i had to learn that the hard way at best buy

i always knew walmart edited dvd's and cd's......well, cd's, but i'm not surprised they are doing dvd's now....i guess i will have to be more careful with what i buy there now

well hey, its just another sign american is taking a huge step backwards in the 1950's again

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    That is true, actually. At first, I thought they recieve the "Not Unrated Version", but I've had a few customers come up to me and tell me that they do censor their DVD's. Censorship is baaaaddd.

Ok, this is just blowing my mind. What happened to artistic integrity? I want to see a movie exactly the way the director made it. If they offered two versions, clearly marked "Censored Version" and "Uncensored Version" I could live with it. What's next: are they going to start painting pasties onto great works of art?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    What's next: are they going to start painting pasties onto great works of art?
    Well, you may remember that one of John Ashcroft's first acts as Attorney General was to throw a sheet over the semi-nude Lady Justice statue. I think if he was that distracted by a marble statue, he has bigger problems.

From what I remember about the story when Wal-Mart first started selling the edited CDs, the musicians had to consent to the edits, and some thus pulled from selling at Wal-Mart (I think maybe REM was one of the first to go, but it's been a while). They are supposed to lable the disks as edited on the printed lable on the plastic on the top edge of the CD. If they're doing this with DVDs, they've got to be putting lables on too, I'd hope.

I knew about Blockbuster (don't use them for that very reason) but not about Walmart. I've bought moview at walmart, and believe me, if I had known they were censoring, I wouldn't have. I hate watching movies on TV that have been censored.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast