+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ron Howard casts Hanks in "Da Vinci Code"

Ron Howard casts Hanks in "Da Vinci Code"

Tom Hanks On "Da Vinci Code" Hunt
    Posted: Monday November 15th, 2004 11:12pm
    Author: Garth Franklin
    Source: Newsweek

I was picturing somebody like Gerard Butler when I read "The Da Vinci Code", which is why the news today comes as a surprise. Newsweek reports that Tom Hanks has been pegged to play the lead role of Robert Langdon in Sony's upcoming film adaptation of the Dan Brown novel sensation.

This would be the third teaming of Hanks with Director Ron Howard and Producer Brian Grazer after 1984's "Splash" and 1995's "Apollo 13". Howard says "Tom is an exciting actor to watch thinking, we probably don't need his status from a box-office standpoint - but he gives Langdon instant legitimacy".

Jean Reno is apparently on Grazer's short list as the bullish cop Bezu Fache. The duo want actual foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters which is why one recent Oscar winning actress was turned away when enquiring about the lead female role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu.
    To all Da Vinci Code Fans...
    Lets hope for the best
    For me this casting sure sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Aalydah

To all Da Vinci Code Fans...
    Lets hope for the best
    For me this casting sure sucks
    It doesn't suck for me. I think Hanks is an outstanding actor. But I admit I haven't yet read the book, so I may agree with you after I do.

I read Angels and Demons and loved it. I have The Da Vinci Code, but have been saving it and so glad I did. Now I can picture Tom as Robert Langdon!! Great news Aalydah.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Not suitable at all . Hanks is too young for the part.

I'm surprised they didn't go with Harrison Ford, since that is the exact actor Brown compares Langdon to in his book. I'd have thought that would be a natural.

Jean Reno is awesome, though, I'd love to see him in that role.

For the role of Sophie, maybe Julie Delpy?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Jay
    I read Angels and Demons but haven't read DVC. Does the role require Tom Hanks to perform some action stunts? If so, I can't see Hanks in that type of role.

Don't know about the screenplay (you know how much they change books in adaptation) but the novel is kind of action-y...not exactly Indiana Jones-type stunts (more like pursuit/car chase stuff--I'm sure they'll add some crazy explosions or something for the big screen), but definitely some things that, as you say, I just can't picture Tom doing. Not that I don't love him, I just am not sure he's appropriate for this role.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 11-16-2004 at 04:39 PM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Jay
    I can only think of one Tom Hanks action movie and that's Saving Private Ryan. I can't see him chasing cars or punching bad guys.

Harrison Ford? That's an interesting choice but isn't he kinda old for the role? How about Liam Neeson, Eric Bana or Pierce Brosnan?

http://sev.prnewswire.com/publishing...4112004-1.html

NEW YORK, Nov. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Tom Hanks has been pegged to play the lead role in Sony's upcoming film "The Da Vinci Code," the adaptation of author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller, Newsweek has learned. Director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer, the duo who helped make Hanks a star with their 1984 comedy "Splash" and rehired him 11 years later for "Apollo 13," cast Hanks as the globe-trotting scholar Robert Langdon, a decision based partially on the cerebral (riddle-solving, code-cracking) nature of the action in "Da Vinci," Newsweek reports in the November 22 issue (on newsstands Monday, November 15).

"Tom is an exciting actor to watch thinking," Howard tells General Editor Devin Gordon. "We probably don't need his status from a box-office standpoint" -- by now, "The Da Vinci Code" sells itself -- "but he gives Langdon instant legitimacy."

Howard and Grazer are taking their time casting "Da Vinci," but plan to hire actual foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters. "If there's any book that's supposed to be an international thriller, says Grazer, "this is it." Grazer tells Newsweek that one recent Oscar winner inquired about the role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu, "and she could easily do it. But I think the audience would be let down a bit. They expect a French girl." As for the role of bullish cop Bezu Fache, Gordon reports that Jean Reno is on Grazer's short list.

Grazer first got wind of "The Da Vinci Code" early in 2003, when Joel Surnow -- creator of the acclaimed TV series "24" -- thought "Da Vinci" would make a terrific story line for the show's third season. Surnow asked his boss, Grazer, to look into acquiring the rights, Newsweek reports. But as Brown had no intention of handing over his book to a mere TV show, Grazer says that "it quickly became clear that we had no chance." A few months later Sony paid $6 million for the movie rights -- and hired Grazer as the producer for the biggest film adaptation since "Harry Potter."

The 53-year-old Grazer, who also paired with Howard on the Oscar-winning "A Beautiful Mind," has several upcoming projects on his slate, including an animated "Curious George" film with Will Ferrell and "Fun with Dick and Jane" starring Jim Carrey. Grazer is also producing a documentary about the notorious skinflick "Deep Throat," Gordon reports. Due out in February, it may be the first NC-17 movie released by a major studio in years.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I'm think of maybe Sophie Marceau as Sophie Neveu. I agree with Jay that Harrison Ford is a little too old for the part of Langdon. He would have been perfect 10-15 years ago. John Rhys Davies as Teabing would be OK. He is a little too jolly for the role though. Someone on another internet board (yes, there are other boards out there) suggested Albert Finney for Teabing. He looks identical to what I had pictured him in the book, albeit a little younger. Reno seems a little bit bigger than how I had pictured Fache. I am notorious for glossing over character description parts of books and creating my own look for them however, so I don't know how accurate I am .
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast