+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ron Howard casts Hanks in "Da Vinci Code"

Audrey Tautou did a find acting job in Dirty Pretty Things, and there was nothing cute about that movie. I've never seen her project much Sophie-like intelligence and charisma, though; the producers probably just wanted the French actress currently most popular in the United States. I think SnowflakeGirl's Julie Delpy idea was better, but at least they chose a real French girl!

I think Tom Hanks will be okay. Honestly, the characters in the book didn't have too much personality for acting to even be that important. The movie will be plot and suspense driven (just like the book) and regardless of whether it's decent or not, people will line up to see it (just like with the book).

I guess from my reading of the book, I'd just pictured all the characters a bit older than the way they've been cast. As much I love Ludivine Sagnier, Phat, I think she looks far too young, even at 25, to play an experienced cryptologist (that's just about drunk grad student age) and with the semi-romantic dynamic between the leads, it would disturb me to see her paired with Tom Hanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I think SnowflakeGirl's Julie Delpy idea was better, but at least they chose a real French girl!
    Exactly! At least it's not Gwyneth Paltrow with a Pepe LePew accent, or some such nonsense. Or another example, as much as I love Zhang Ziyi, why is Hollywood casting her to play the Japanese lead in Memoirs of a Geisha. Can Americans really not tell the difference?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Or another example, as much as I love Zhang Ziyi, why is Hollywood casting her to play the Japanese lead in Memoirs of a Geisha. Can Americans really not tell the difference?
    Hilarious. I was thinking the same.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I think Tom Hanks can pull off anything, especially when I think of him in Castaway, he was absolutely amazing looking in that movie with his dramatic and accurate change in appearance. I think he can do it justice.

I think I sort of pictured Mel Gibson though when I was reading the book.

I was a little disappointed they cast Tom Hanks. I thought they should do some one a little less known. When I read the book, I thoguht of someone like Bill Pullman. I heard he was just cast as a harvard prof on a new show (revelations i think) that is a similar scifi-religious thing - guess I was close I think Audrey Tatou was a good choice. Not nec. someone I would have thought of, but interesting casting.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I dont know about anyone else, but I'm actually dissapointed that they're even making this movie. I dont see how they'll be able to do it any justice, since the plot and it's unfolding is so visual... to see it all unfold at one glance is so "bla". Remember reading the description of finding the body in the Louvre to begin with? It unfolded....it's so difficult to unfold in a movie because it's all so "there". That's the beauty of a book! Plus, alot of the intrigue to the book is the background information in addition to the plot. I don't know - Ron Howard's great...but even Spielberg couldn't pull this off successfully I don't think. I mean it will be "ok" but nothing in comparison to the book.

I'm just thankful that Tom Cruise wasn't cast. Ugh. I don't know who I would've put for Langston. I sort of had someone different in mind than Tom Hanks. I would've liked to have seen a less recognizable actor take the lead, so as to fall into the movie a little more, you know what I mean?

Just my humble opinion. But hey - I'm no one, and certainly not in Tinseltown!
    To make a mistake is human, to stumble is commonplace, but to laugh at yourself...that is maturity

I'm disappointed with the casting - I'm not a huge Tom Hanks fan, and although I'll watch the movie I definitely won't have high hopes for it. I never have my hopes set too high for adapted novels.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm just thankful that Tom Cruise wasn't cast.
    So true. When they cast him as Lestat I felt more or less the same way as I do about Hanks as Langdon. Actor d'jour for the part instead of taking the time for a proper cast.

Although I don't think Brown will wear black and lash out publicly the same way Anne Rice did.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    So true. When they cast him as Lestat I felt more or less the same way as I do about Hanks as Langdon. Actor d'jour for the part instead of taking the time for a proper cast.

Although I don't think Brown will wear black and lash out publicly the same way Anne Rice did.
    Anne Rice hated Tom for this part.. as did I when i heard it, however after the movie was made.. she said no one else could have pulled it off like he did. I also agreed.

Dan Brown has already voiced approval of Hanks in the role.. I still can't see it working. When I read the book I admit I pictured Ford.. well a much younger Ford as Langdon.. and thought George Clooney would be a natural choice.

Langdon was described as bookishly good looking... and i always head his voice deeper then Hanks' voice. I have never been a fan of Hanks, and do not feel he can do this role justice.. pull it off maybe but not play it as its meant to be played. I think of him as goofy no matter what movie hes been in.

Also I thought his age was given in DVC as mid-40s.. I could be mistaken but that to me was a factor in who i felt would be good at this part. However I may be in fact, be wrong on that bit.

As for the rest of the cast, thus far i think its perfect!

Jean Reno .... Bezu Fache
    Audrey Tautou .... Sophie Neveu

I can also see:

John Cleese or even Sean Connery as Teabing
    Johnny Depp as Lieutenant Collet
    John Turturro as Remy

This movie could have easily been done with a not very well known cast.. and still been a big hit. I for one will most likely not see it with tom hanks in it, i will wait for the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman
    ...thought George Clooney would be a natural choice.
    So did I. When I envisioned scenes from the novel, I actually envisioned Clooney in some of those scenes.

I think of him as goofy no matter what movie hes been in.
    I like Hanks fine. But no matter how many Oscar nominations he earns, he'll always be the guy from Bosom Buddies to me. It's a miracle that he managed to live down that show and go on to have such a successful career. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of another sitcom star who overcame his/her TV past to rise to that level of stardom.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast