+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ron Howard casts Hanks in "Da Vinci Code"

Sophie Marceau would be a good choice as Sophie, and John Rhys Davies would be fabulous as Teabing. Good call, Zaius.

I think it's funny that Tom Hanks (48) is too young but Harrison Ford (62) is too old. I actually pictured Langdon as being somewhere around 50, but I definitely think Harrison Ford could carry it off. Pierce Brosnan is an interesting suggestion, too, but I don't know that he could completely lose his accent, nor look rugged and bookish enough for the role. As much as I love Eric Bana... he's definitely too young at just 36.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Sophie Marceau would be a good choice as Sophie, and John Rhys Davies would be fabulous as Teabing. Good call, Zaius.

I think it's funny that Tom Hanks (48) is too young but Harrison Ford (62) is too old. I actually pictured Langdon as being somewhere around 50, but I definitely think Harrison Ford could carry it off. Pierce Brosnan is an interesting suggestion, too, but I don't know that he could completely lose his accent, nor look rugged and bookish enough for the role. As much as I love Eric Bana... he's definitely too young at just 36.
    Sophie Marceau! I was desperately trying to remember her name. Nice, Zaius!

I don't recall them mentioning how old Langdon is in the book? I always thought he was in his early forties or so?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

from imdb.com

Delpy: "Da Vinci Role Is Mine"

French actress Julie Delpy has set her sights on the role of cryptologist Sophie Neveu in the forthcoming movie adaptation of best-selling book The Da Vinci Code. The Before Sunset star is a huge fan of Dan Brown's novel and is desperate for director Ron Howard to cast her opposite Tom Hanks in the mystery thriller. An American Werewolf in Paris and The Passion of Ayn Rand star Delpy enthuses, "The character is French, in her thirties and has a shade of red in her hair. I can become a redhead."
    Snowie might get her wish.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Both of those ladies are too beautiful to be beside Hanks. Sorry, but he is far too silly looking for the part. I always thought of Langdon as a classic handsome and fiftyish. Harrison Ford would have been perfect as you say a few years ago. Val Kilmer, Viggo Mortenson , even Travolta would be better suited. Christopher Walken for the albino priest. Teabing is hard to say, but maybe Sean Connery . I don't get a good looking vibe from that character though. Maybe Ian McKellen ? He is supposed to be quite old. Maybe Brosnan for Jacques Sauniere if he can pull off a fake French Accent.

I agree eny. Langdon is supposed to be an amazing water polo player, even at his age. You have to be pretty dang fit and strong to play water polo well, and Hanks just seems like he's way too scrawny for the part. Viggo Mortensen and Val Kilmer are great suggestions!
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

from imdb this morning:

Tautou To Play 'Da Vinci' Role?

French film star Audrey Tautou is thrilled she's won the lead role in the upcoming film adaptation of US author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller The Da Vinci Code. The popular Amelie star, who is currently on screens in A Very Long Engagement, will play Sophie Neveu - the young French cryptologist assisting Professor Robert Langdon - played by Tom Hanks - in his investigation. The Professional actor Jean Reno will also star, playing detective Bezu Fache. Filming is due to start later this year - with a predicted cinema release of May 2006.
    I'm not quite certain what I think about Audrey Tautou playing Sophie.... as I've always found her quite quirky and not necessarily straight dramatic. She's adorable, however.

I've enjoyed Jean Reno in the few movies that I've seen him in... French Kiss, Mission Impossible, and Ronin.

I'm okay with Tom Hanks in the role. He can be quite convincing in different roles and is a better actor than some would think. From Forrest Gump to Catch Me If You Can, he's played a variety of roles and managed to pull them off convincingly.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Wow, another surprising casting selection. Of course I loved Audrey Tautou in Amelie, and I know she can beautifully pull off straight drama as well, at least what I gather from Dirty Pretty Things, but I really did not picture her as Sophie. Also, I just read an interview with her not long ago where she said she's not too keen on big budget Hollywood movies. I'm so confizzled!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I had envisioned George Clooney in the lead role whenever I imagined TDVC on screen.

As for Sophie, it's too late now, but I would have liked Ludivine Sagnier (Swimming Pool). She looks all of 18 in Swimming Pool, but she's actually 25, and she has the right combination of physical appeal and self-confidence. Swimming Pool created a buzz around her in the US, but TDVC would have made her a star. Ah, too bad.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I think Tom Hanks is a wonderful actor and will do the Langston role justice, although I didn't picture him in the role. For some reason I thought of Langston as being older.

I am looking forward to the movie.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast