+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Category 6: Day of Destruction

Category 6: Day of Destruction

I saw part one of this last night. What a movie so far. It's about the head of the National Weather Association (played by Brian Dennehy) who's trying to figure out a way to warn Chicago about 2 superstorms that are about to flatten the area. It starts off with Las Vegas being rocked by-of all things-a tornado followed by a major hurricane off the gulf of Mexico. In the middle of all of it is a contraversy (sp?) regarding the energy plant's method of reducing energy and of course there's a hacker hacking into the plant's computer system shutting off power to certain areas at any given time causing accidents and people being trapped in buildings. Nancy McKeon plays a local reporter trying to get to the bottom of the energy crisis and the scandal. Thomas Gibson (Dharma & Greg) plays the head of the plant who's having an affair with the Vice President of Public Relations. Dennis Quaid is comical as a storm chaser who's trying to stay on top of numerous tornados spotted all over the map.
    One comical line from last night. Brian Dennehy's character is furious that there have already been 2 major storms and no one in his office caught it. So he says: "From now on, if a dog farts in Duluth, I expect one of my guys to know about it." I was when he said that. My husband was looking at me like I had 2 heads. Can't wait for the conclusion on Wednesday.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I went into this with the lowest of expectations and came away from part 1 nicely surprised. I just wish they could have come up with a different day to end it on (what would have been wrong with a Saturday/Sunday show when there's nothing else on? geesh!)....my tv schedule is packed for Wednesday, but I've GOTTA see how this all ends up panning out.

Texi (if you come by here)...did you watch? I know you like this type of movie as well...

I missed it
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I planned on taping it. Got the cable box programmed but forgot the VCR. I realized about 25 minutes into it and started it up. I watched most of it today in bits and pieces (not a good way to watch a movie) and came away with mixed impressions.

I watched it for the weather special effects and could do without the marriage-breaking-up-over-affair-at-work story line. The only interesting part about that is the conflict that "the other woman" is in over her affair and her job for the big bad power guy.

My main gripe is so many of the guys are clones. The husband, the big bad power guy, and the whistle-blower look so much alike.

Brian Dennehy and Dennis Quaid are great though and I love seeing the hacker's hands on the keyboard type something, press enter and more of the power grid drops. Although I told my husband that it would probably really be a mouse click, but the keyboard is more dramatic. I think the big bad power guy at Lexer is the hacker. He is a megalomaniac.

Did you catch the CBS Early Show weatherman, Dave Price, as one of the employees at MidWest Power? He interrupted the whistle-blower just as he was going to explain to the husband (Mitch) about his concerns, with a phone call for Mitch.

Wasn't that Randy Quaid, not Dennis?

I missed the first part of this show, too, but I'm sure they'll rebroadcast and also that it'll come out on DVD (without commercials!). I do like this kind of movie.

I agree about the extraneous affair storyline. Seems unnecessary, although the Part 2 may do something to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    I think the big bad power guy at Lexer is the hacker. He is a megalomaniac.
    I thought the same thing. It makes sense.
    And yes, it is Randy Quaid. I loved it when he just left the asian family at the side of the road. I say Asian because I can never tell the difference between them all. If you stood a Japanese girl, a Chinese girl, a Korean girl and a Vietnamese girl in front of me and don't tell me who's who, I would not be able to tell you. I'm not being racist, I'm just saying that I have a hard time distinguishing. Just like if you stuck a glass of coke and a glass of pepsi in front of me and don't tell me which is which, I wouldn't be able to tell you. If anyone is offended by my post, I deeply apologize.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

The conclusion was on last night. I kept holding my breath when they were trying to get Laura and the old lady out of the elevator and when they were trying to get to the air field. Then I was wringing my hands when the plane took back off and they were trying to get more altitude. They never showed what happened to the old lady, though. I saw her helping Amy (Nancy McKeon) get the camera guy out of the elevator but they never showed her after that. We are left to assume that she is fine. Because by that point, the storm was pretty much over. As soon as the guard went to try to tackle the boyfriend, I knew someone was going to get shot, I just didn't think it was going to be Lindsay. I thought the boyfriend was going to shoot the guard. I have to say I love what Dianne Wiest said to the people at the other power companies when they were giving her a hard time about sharing their energy with Chicago: "Well, let me tell you that the people who cooperate will be mentioned publically with a great deal of praise heaped upon them. Those who don't will also be mentioned publically with something else heaped upon them." Gee, what could that something else be. I also loved Tornado Tommy when he realized he was going to be picked up by the tornado. "We're going for a riiiiiiiiiiiide!" Funny stuff. The scary thing is, I don't think my area (S.E Massachusetts) would ever be able to withstand nor be prepared for a storm of that magnitude. We're talking an F-6 tornado clashing with a Category 6 hurricane. Even if they gave us warning, there's no way we could be prepared for it. My town would be completely wiped off the map. Heck, I think 1/2 of Massachusetts would be wiped off the map.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    I haven't seen it yet....I did tape both parts, and am going to watch it as soon as I have some time. I do love disaster flicks, but I am not usually impressed by made for tv flicks.

Finally watched my tape, it was pretty good. I'm a sucker for disaster movies. Some of the special effects were fairly cheesy, but it's made-for-TV, so I can accept a certain amount of cheese.

Nice to see Brian Dennehy again, hadn't seen him in awhile. The most interesting characters in the movie seemed to be the older ones. Dennehy, Diane Wiest, Randy Quaid.

A lot of it was shot in Canada, particularly the shopping mall scenes. Did anybody recognize the mall? I think it was either in Toronto or Winnipeg.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I really wanted to see more special effects, even if they were cheesy. The three twister scenes with Randy Quaid were the best, St. Louis, the farm and then the one that got him in Chicago. Mostly, it was just a lot of flying debris. Except for a few shots of the Chicago skyline, it could have been any large city. I was hoping to see recognizable landmarks taken out, like storm surge ripping apart Navy Pier. The St. Louis Arch was it.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast