+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray - 10/29

Ray - 10/29

Release Date: 10/29/2004 Biopic, Drama Rated: PG-13 Runtime: 2 hrs 33 mins

From Hollywood.com

Born in a poor town in Georgia, Ray Charles went blind at the age of seven shortly after witnessing his younger brother's accidental death. Inspired by a fiercely independent mother who insisted he make his own way in the world, Charles found his calling and his gift behind a piano keyboard. Touring across the Southern musical circuit, the soulful singer gained a reputation and then exploded with worldwide fame when he pioneered incorporating gospel, country, jazz and orchestral influences into his inimitable style. As he revolutionized the way people appreciated music, he simultaneously fought segregation in the very clubs that launched him and championed artists' rights within the corporate music business.
    Cast: Jamie Foxx , Regina King , Kerry Washington , Clifton Powell , Harry J Lennix , Terrence Dashon Howard

Director: Taylor Hackford , Mark Rydell

This is a wonderful movie and Jamie Foxx is incredible.
    There is something very wrong if he doesn't at least get an Oscar nomination imo.

Jay
    This movie looks fantastic. I'll definitely be watching this one.

This movie does look great. My only fear is getting past Jamie Foxx as Ray - Ray Charles is such an icon - instantly recognizable, and I would think that would work against ANYONE trying to play him. Fluff- have you seen it? Does Jamie do his own playing/singing?
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie as well. Just from the previews, it seems that Jamie does an AMAZING job, which like ADK said, that would not be an easy feat. I had read somewhere some time ago that Ray's family saw the movie while it was being made, and they were very happy with it and all the work Jamie did in order to portray Ray as accurately as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    This is a wonderful movie and Jamie Foxx is incredible.
    There is something very wrong if he doesn't at least get an Oscar nomination imo.
    I can't think of who could beat him if he was nominated.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    This movie does look great. My only fear is getting past Jamie Foxx as Ray - Ray Charles is such an icon - instantly recognizable, and I would think that would work against ANYONE trying to play him. Fluff- have you seen it? Does Jamie do his own playing/singing?
    I heard he lip-synchs better than Ashley Simpson. My main worry is that the plot sounds like a VH1 Behind the Music epsidoe.

It has been mentioned in several interviews that Jamie Foxx is not actually singing. That is no secret. Ray Charles' original recordings are used in the movie which I much prefer. It was proven doing the Ray Charles Tribute special that no one else can quite copy his sound including Usher. I saw Ray Charles perform live in 1997 and 1999.

Jamie is incredible in the movie. He starts to live and breathe Ray Charles before the movie ends. Jamie has an uncanny talent for becoming the character he is playing.

His performance reminds me of Diana Ross's portrayal of Billie Holiday who was also an entertainer with many dark moments. I don't know who his competition would be this year for an Oscar nomination but he is more than deserving of an Oscar.

Jamie has come a long way since Booty Call which was the first movie that I saw him in. I was baffled when Jamie was cast in a lead role as a quarter back in Any Given Sunday. I could not picture him in the film. But Any Given Sunday ended up being one of my favorite movies.

Man, I really want to see this!!! Maybe tomorrow afternoon...
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in652388.shtml
    Looking for inspiration, Jamie Foxx didn't see it in Ray Charles - but he could hear it.

The 36-year-old actor is winning raves for his portrayal of the genius behind classics such as "What'd I Say" and "Georgia On My Mind," who died in June at age 73, shortly after filming of "Ray" was completed.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...redcarpet.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast