+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ray - 10/29

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Then at the end they whizzed past 40 years with script. He also impregnated women all over the place including one in my hometown. Not much of a role model.
    This movie was longer than the average film but there are limits to trying to convey everything that happened in 73 years. The film did not go beyond the sixties and the life changing moments of Ray kicking his drug addiction.

There are very few entertainment figures who lead morally pure lives. I am skeptical about the paternity of everyone who received a generous check from Ray. Ray was from an era when men did not request paternity tests. Ray also was an easy target for gold diggers.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    The flashbacks of his brother's death, mother, and water scenes interspersed through out the movie were so haunting. I don't know how factual this was but it was visually brilliant film making.
    I saw this movie last weekend and found it phenomenal and very moving. I agree, sugarlady - those scenes added so much to to the movie and they were filmed beautifully. It seemed that the colors were more vibrant, everything was very much alive in those scenes - it is fitting, since those were the only visual memories he had. I've always loved Ray Charles' music and Jamie Foxx was spectacular in the role. I would like to see him get an Oscar nom for his performance. I also thought Regina King as his mistress and the woman who played his mother gave very powerful performances as well.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    They didn't show anything about how he learned to play other than 3 notes in the back of a store. Not much of a role model.
    Ray Charles learned how to read and write music in a state school for the blind. It was indicated in the credits at the end of the movie that Ray Charles donated over 20 million dollars to schools for the blind.

I attended a Ray Charles concert at Morehouse in 1999. Bill Cosby was the MC. Ray Charles presented Morehouse with a check at the end of the concert for the profits from the concert. Ray Charles did give back which is more than can be said for most pampered highly paid young entertainers and sports stars.

Ray Charles left behind a more than adequate legacy and estate for his children to live off. The mother of his youngest 16 year old son filed a lawsuit when Ray Charles died to increase her 4,000+ monthly payments to $60,000+ a month. Vultures are already circling.

For me all this post death hoopla about the brilliance of Ray Charles is bittersweet because he can not experience it or reap the benefits.

We finally saw this movie on Friday. We absolutely loved it. It was honest about the type of person he was; it didn't make him out to be some kind of saint. It showed his good qualities & his bad ones. I definitely plan to own this when it comes out on DVD!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The DVD is out. We got it and watched it as soon as we got home. Suffice it to say the movie is absolutely wonderful. Jamie Foxx is amazing as Ray Charles, and he definitely deserves to win the Oscar...no doubt about it. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123