+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray - 10/29

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Jamie does his own piano playing.....he's actually an accomplished pianist.
    It looks great! I saw Ray Charles in 2002 at the Paramount Theatre, It was a concert I will always remember...so Im very excited to see this movie!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

"Ray" took 15 years for its director, Taylor Hackford, to bring to the big screen thanks to apathy among Hollywood studios. Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric Co.-controlled NBC Universal, picked up the completed film earlier this year after Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz footed the estimated $30 million budget himself.

Two-thirds of the audience was aged over 30, and 59 percent was black, Universal said. Exit polls showed that 99 percent of viewers rated the movie "very good" or "excellent," the studio added. Additionally, the "definite recommend" score was in the 90 percent range, against a norm in the 50 percent range, indicating that word-of-mouth will keep the film in theaters through awards season.

Foxx has generated a lot of early Oscar buzz for his accurate portrayal of the blind pianist, who saw the film shortly before he died in June of liver disease.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...oxofficer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    Jamie does his own piano playing.....he's actually an accomplished pianist.
    Preparing for the role, Foxx was invited to meet with Charles. After talking a while, they sat down together at a piano.

"He came in and he put his stamp on me," Foxx told The Associated Press in a recent interview. "We played tandem piano. We played the blues together. He said, 'If you can play the blues, then you can play this part.' So we played the blues."

No musical slouch, Foxx is a classically trained pianist and credible singer who released an R&B album in 1994. Most recently, he sang the hook on the smash Kanye West/Twista rap single "Slow Jamz" - but that doesn't put him anywhere close to Charles.

"I hit one wrong note and he stopped," Foxx recalled.

"'Why'd you do that?"' Foxx says in a dead-on imitation of Charles' raspy growl.

"He said, 'Don't do that. Don't hit wrong notes.' And I was like, 'Damn ... I'm just learning.' And he said, 'No, no, no ... don't hit wrong notes."'

That sour note on the keyboard resulted in a sour note in their meeting. But it quickly passed, and Foxx described it as a kind of revelation.

"I fixed it and that was the gateway to Ray," he said. "Ray has to have sound in harmony at all times."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in652388.shtml

The full credits are shown at the end of the movie for all the original Ray Charles recordings that are used in the movie.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Thanks for the great info Sugarlady!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

I just got back from seeing this movie and I would see it again in a heartbeat.

Jamie Foxx is superb as Ray Charles and should get an oscar nomination for his performance ---hell at this point I would say he should win the Oscar.

I loved the use of flashbacks showing his childhood as I had no idea how he had become blind and about how his brother died.

His wife in the movie, his main lover and his mother also gave brilliant performances.

Easily a two thumbs up movie that everyone should go and see.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

It is always interesting to know the behind the scenes story about what it took to finance, film, and sell a movie.
    ______________________________ _______

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ap/2004...934640000.html

The audience for "Ray" was older, with three-fourths of viewers age 30 and over.

Films that play to older crowds tend to stick around longer at theaters, and distributor Universal Studios is counting on the movie's Oscar prospects to extend its appeal through awards season.

Interest in Charles has surged since his death last June and Foxx has received enormous acclaim for his uncanny re-creation of the blind singer's mannerisms and spirit.

"This is the most talked about performance of the year," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "His performance even transcends the movie itself."

Director Taylor Hackford, who had Charles' full support on "Ray," struggled for 15 years to get the movie made. Financed independently, the finished film was shopped around futilely among Hollywood studios until it found a home at Universal.

"Nobody wanted this movie, so as a result we are celebrating like you can't even believe," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal. "We expect a long life for this movie."

Mr. Rose and I went to see this over the weekend. We were blown away. I had heard it was good, so I was actually prepared to be a little let down. You know how everyone tells you a movie is really good, then you finally see it, and you can't help but be disappointed? Well, I was not disappointed in this one. Within 15 minutes, I was convinced Jamie Foxx was Ray Charles, and I forgot I was watching an actor. I loved this movie!

I was reading yesterday that Ray's blindness actually was the reason he got such a good education and musical training that he did. Had he not been blind, he would have remained in his mother's care, and because she did not have much of an education, she valued it tremendously. Years after he first became blind, she sent him to a School for the Blind in Florida, and it was there, he was taught to read braille, got a formal education, and formal training in music.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Ray Charles taught Qunicy Jones how to read and write music after they became friends in Seattle. Ray Charles' mother also died while he was in high school and he was the only surviving member of his immediate family.

The flashbacks of his brother's death, mother, and water scenes interspersed through out the movie were so haunting. I don't know how factual this was but it was visually brilliant film making.

I agree that Jamie Foxx was brilliant in this role and the music made this a delightful movie to watch, but I was put off by the light touch with his heroin addiction and womanizing. They didn't show anything about how he learned to play other than 3 notes in the back of a store. Then at the end they whizzed past 40 years with script. He also impregnated women all over the place including one in my hometown. Not much of a role model.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast