+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What the Bleep do we Know? Movie

What the Bleep do we Know? Movie

Has anyone seen this movie that is sweeping the nation as an underground hit? The website is www.whatthebleep.com
    I am waiting for it to open this weekend in my area, but it has been playing across the states for several week now. I have friends in different cities that have seen it and say its life changing and a wonderul movie.

Love to hear your thoughts,
    Support the FORT - Go Green

Here's some info from Roger Ebert's "Answer Man" column:

Q. While the film "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" parades itself as a tell-all about quantum physics, it turns out that it's actually a 111-minute infomercial for ... that's right, the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. In fact, the three filmmakers, [William] Arntz, [Betsy] Chasse and [Mark] Vicente, are all devotees of Ramtha.

There's little to no accurate science in the film, and, as a physicist pointed out recently in your Answer Man column, the individuals who are quoted are pretty far from qualified experts on the field of quantum mechanics. Case in point: One of the persons expounding on causality and quantum physics (Dispenza) is a chiropractor. The film's sole purpose appears to be to promote the ideology of the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. A quick browse through their Web site will clearly demonstrate that the film's pseudoscientific nonsense comes straight from the teachings of the RSE.

Rubin Safaya, Edina, Minn.

A. Several other readers also unmasked the documentary as a hoax. I knew there had to be something fishy when the expert who made the most sense was channeling a 35,000-year-old seer from Atlantis.
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...&date=20041003
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

My friend loved the movie and I asked her what she thought of Roger Eberts review. She said, "I think that we all take the info we need and go from there. I have not heard anyone who has seen it Feel the way that reviewer does"

I wonder how often I agree with him anyway, but appreciate the feedback
    Support the FORT - Go Green

By the way I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Ramtha or that kind of school of thought, but I just wanted to point out an interesting link with the movie.
    Last edited by Zaius; 10-20-2004 at 07:42 PM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I went to go see this movie this summer because my reading group was reading "A Brief History of Time" and I thought it was supposed to be a visual (and perhaps easier) representation of quantum mechanics.

I was exremely dissapointed.

"Psuedo Science" is a good term to describe this movie. It starts out strong, giving you a good dose of farily accurate quantum mechanical theory, at least as much as you could glean from a recent high school physics text book. But it's all down hill from there - strange water experiments, life-affirming rhetoric, etc....

Everyone in the theater applauded after it was done, but considering that I saw it on CU Denver's campus and I would imagine there were more than a few people there from the People's Republic of Boulder, it might not be worth your time unless you subscribe to these more metaphysical view points.

+ Reply to Thread