+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shall We Dance? - 10/15

Shall We Dance? - 10/15

Release Date: 10/15/2004 Comedy, Romance Rated: PG-13 Runtime: 1 hr 35 mins

From Hollywood.com
    For longer than he can remember, John Clark has led a dull existence--and even with a successful career, charming wife and loving family, he still feels something is missing as he makes his mind-numbing commute through the city each day. But one night, on his evening ride home, he looks up to see a beautiful woman staring through the window of a dance studio. Haunted by her gaze, John impulsively jumps off the train and signs up for dance lessons--and his whole life begins to change. Now, he's entering a world he never imagined--the colorful world of competitive ballroom dancing. It's a place filled with grand passions, bitter rivalries, great friends and strange couples and it's about to reignite the excitement in John's life--not to mention the lives of his family, dance instructors and fellow classmates--in ways he's never dreamed.
    Cast: Richard Gere , Jennifer Lopez , Lisa Ann Walter , Stanley Tucci , Susan Sarandon
    Director: Peter Chelsom

It isn't playing here. Any idea why?
    Count your blessings!

This is the exact plot of a Japanese movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117615/
    I doubt it's as good.

Took a group of 13 year old girls to see this last night. Absolutely adorable.
    Count your blessings!

Salome, thank you for posting that. The Japanese movie is a true charmer, one of my faves. It has a cultural subtext that must be lacking in a Western movie. It really bothers me that in all the ads and appearances I've seen, no credit has been shown for this movie, even though it seems that entire sequences are identical. I strongly encourage anyone to see the Japanese version. It is sweet, funny, ironic, sad, and ultimately uplifting. Trust me, you will fall in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGuysMama
    It has a cultural subtext that must be lacking in a Western movie.
    Yes, this is the issue I have with the adaptation, as well. The relationship between the husband and the wife and his yearning to be free through dance seems perhaps more nuanced when placed in the context of Japanese culture.

I mean, the original may have been a small, unambitious movie, but it was solidly good. I'm not sure how much of its charm could be transmuted through a Hollywood star vehicle. But since Gutmutter loved it, I'm sure the clone has its merits as well.

nausicca, I couldn't agree with you more. The movie was a metaphor for a epressed culture, Japanese, where freedom was found through dance, resulting in terms of freedom of communication between husband and wife, straight friends and gay friends, and even parent and child. It is really quite the engaging film. It's very funny too; it will crack you up. You will laugh your butt off, but you also might need the tissues.

It's widely avaiable with sub-titles.

+ Reply to Thread