+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Igby Goes Down

Igby Goes Down

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\igbygoesdown.jpg[/IMG]

Starring: Kieran Culkin, Claire Danes, Jeff Goldblum, Jared Harris, Amanda Peet, Ryan Phillippe, Bill Pullman, Susan Sarandon

"Plot Summary: Igby Slocumb (Culkin), a rebellious, sarcastic seventeen-year-old boy, is at war with the stifling world of "old money" privelege he was born into. With a schizophrenic father (Pullman), a self-absorbed mother (Sarandon) and a shark-like Young Republican big brother (Phillippe), Igby figures there must be a better life out there, and he sets about finding it. Happily flunking out of yet another prep school, Igby is sent off to a military academy in the dreaded Midwest. With the aid of his mother's pilfered credit card, he goes on the lam. His voyage eventually lands him in New York, where he hides out at his godfather's (Goldblum) weekend pied-a-terre. There, he encounters a deviant cast of characters, including his godfather's trophy choreographer girlfriend (Peet) and the terminally bored Sookie Sapperstein (Danes). In his quest to free himself, Igby's struggles veer from comic to tragic in an ultimately noble attempt to keep himself from "going down."

*source http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/i/igbygoesdown.php

i am really looking forward to seeing this movie, even if it IS another spinoff of "catcher in the rye"! kieran is my favorite of the culkins and it's been too long since i've seen claire danes in a movie!

kieran has a robert downey, jr. quality to me. something about him makes him most interesting to watch!

Kieran Culkin is also my fave and much more talented, IMHO than his older brother Macauley.

I really liked him in Cider House Rules.

This movie looks really good. It's also on my Must See In Theatres list.

i'll save ya a seat, miss f, if a theater within 50 miles of my house ever decides to show it!

i like him better than mac, too... though i hear mac is about to come out with a couple of good indie flicks himself. they are said to be jumpstarts for his career.

but yeah... mac doesn't have that "something" that kieran does.

The younger Culkin, Rory, was in Signs, he was pretty good.

I like Claire Danes too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Loved signs!

i saw igby over the weekend... and i have to say that i am VERY glad that it only lasted 98 minutes.

this was not a dark comedy, but rather JUST a dark movie!!

bill pullman was barely in it...can you say "cameo?"

ryan phillipe just pulled his character from "cruel intentions" back out of the closet and dusted him off.

i loved seeing claire danes again, though. she, as always, was great to watch.

kieran was also awesome. i'd like to see him get some plum roles. he clearly is an exceptional actor, and i also loved seeing him in this film.

and the surprise actor in the film was amanda peet. i remember when she first came on the scene in "jack and jill", i believe, i didn't think much of her. then the mags touted that she was the "next julia roberts!" (hey, i could definitely deal with a replacement for julia...but not another julia!!). in this movie, she shows that her acting ability is far superior to roberts... goes from sultry glamour girl to slutty strung out junkie.

all in all... despite some talented actors in a well made movie, the storyline was simply too slow.

I just rented this and didn't see it in the theatre like I wanted.

I agree with you Sher on Amanda Peet. I usually don't think much of her, but loved her in this.

There were a lot of loose ends that I would have liked to see cleaned up, but apart from that, I really liked it.

And it was interesting to see how the two boys mirrored the each other's father in life.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread