+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanity Fair - 09/01

Vanity Fair - 09/01

Release Date: 9/1/2004 Adaptation, Period Rated: PG-13 Runtime: 2 hrs 17 mins

From Hollywood.com

Set in early 19th-century London. The daughter of a starving English artist and a French chorus girl, Becky is orphaned at a young age. Even as a child, she yearns for a more glamorous life than her birthright promises. As she leaves Miss Pinkerton's Academy at Chiswick, Becky resolves to conquer English society by any means possible. She deploys all of her wit, guile, and sexuality as she makes her way up into high society during the first quarter of the 19th century. Becky's ascension to the heights of society commences when she gains employment as governess to the daughters of eccentric Sir Pitt Crawley. Becky wins over the children, and the Crawley family's rich spinster Aunt Matilda as well. The rural Hampshire household comes to find her indispensable, and Matilda comes to confide in the bright young woman. But Becky knows that she cannot be a true part of English society until she moves to the city. When Matilda invites her to come live in London, Becky eagerly accepts. There, Becky is reunited with her best friend Amelia Sedley, who-having grown up comfortably--does not share Becky's more brazen ambitions. Hewing close to the family she already knows so well, Becky secretly marries dashing heir Rawdon Crawley but when Matilda discovers their union, she casts the newlyweds out. When Napoleon invades Europe, Rawdon bravely reports to the front lines. Pregnant Becky stands by distraught newlywed Amelia, whose own husband George Osborne is also called to fight. When George does not survive the Battle of Waterloo, Becky's friendship with Amelia is strained beyond repair. Becky is reunited with Rawdon and gives birth to a boy, but, post-war, money and comforts are sparse for the trio. More intent than ever on gaining acceptance into London society and living well, Becky finds a patron in the powerful Marquess of Steyne. Steyne's whims enable Becky to realize her dreams, but the ultimate cost may be too high for her.
    Cast: Reese Witherspoon , James Purefoy , Natasha Little , Eileen Atkins , Jim Broadbent , Gabriel Byrne

Director: Mira Nair

Producer: Janette Day , Donna Gigliotti , Lydia Pilcher , Pippa Cross , Jane Frazer , Glenn Williamson

H'm. Reese Witherspoon was suprisingly good in The Importance of Being Earnest. Becky Thatcher is a pretty plum role for an actress...hope she can do it justice. I always have a hard time picturing her in period pieces...her "look" seems so modern.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    After seeing The Importance of Being Earnest, I think Reese is great in more of the historical type of films ''period pieces''. I think she's a good versatile actress and Vanity Fair looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality tv fan
    After seeing The Importance of Being Earnest, I think Reese is great in more of the historical type of films ''period pieces''.
    I thought she did a fine job in The Importance of Being Earnest, despite bad reviews, but Becky is in a whole different stratosphere than Cecily.

I read Vanity Fair this summer, so I'm seeing the movie, regardless. It's just a matter of finding a movie theater that's showing it, somewhere admist all this Iowa corn. (Oh, how I miss California. )

There was a fabulous BBC adaptation of Vanity Fair a few years ago. I loved it and then read the book. Wonderful!! BUT a feature film, how much of the story is missing.

at disneyland riding all the rides...weeeeeeeee
    i can't wait to see this movie. We finally get to see reeses more bad girl side. usually in her movies she plays the ditsey girl but now we really get to see some fun from her

+ Reply to Thread