+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero - 08/20

Hero - 08/20

From Hollywood.com
    Action, Foreign, Historical

In a distant war torn land, a ruthless emperor is rising to power with an iron fist and massive armies. To control everything, he will stop at nothing. A fearless warrior, Nameless, goes on a mission of revenge, against the emporer, for the massacre of his people.
    Cast: Jet Li , Tony Leung , Maggie Cheung , Zhang Ziyi , Chen Daoming , Donnie Yen

Director: Zhang Yimou
    Last edited by fluff; 08-15-2004 at 11:38 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

It looks like the movie knows it's over-the-top and doesn't care. I think it looks good.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

This movie is amazing! My friend brought back a copy of this in DVD for me after his trip to China last year and I was just stunned by the beauty of the cinematography, and the vast, sweeping epic of the tale. For those not familiar with HK or Chinese films, this is a top-notch cast, and Zhang Yimou is a celebrated director, a master of his craft (see his films Raise the Red Lantern and Red Sorghum if you haven't). He is famous for his bold and glorious use of color--never more evident than in Hero.

I can't believe this movie is only coming out in America now--it's 2 years old! The movie of his I want to see next is House of Flying Daggers, a Cannes favorite this year, also featuring the divine Zhang Ziyi.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I wasn't too interested in this movie from thelittle blurb I printed above, but I say a trailer for it today and it does look really good, even though this isn't generally my type of thing.

I wouldn't bother seeing it at the theatre and think I might well be unimpressed with the "Matrix" style special effects, but it does appear to actually have a pretty good story behind it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm a big Jet Li fan, so there is no way I'm missing this movie. From the clips i've seen, not only does the story sound interesting, but the cinematography looks visually beautiful, much like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    This is an old movie in China but QT is bringing it over here just like he did with Twin Warriors. It has been given great reviews and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen rather than a copy from China town. (My TV is too small and unworthy)

The previews show this movie starting on Aug. 27, so I think the opening date was moved. Can't wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    This is an old movie in China but QT is bringing it over here just like he did with Twin Warriors.
    Right, EXlurker! Same thing with Iron Monkey, too. I really appreciate that Tarantino helps bring these excellent movies to a wider audience.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    The movie of his I want to see next is House of Flying Daggers, a Cannes favorite this year, also featuring the divine Zhang Ziyi.
    I'd watch it because of Takeshi Kaneshiro.

That is top notch casting in the movie. Strange I haven't seen the movie here before.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I saw this a year ago and it is easily one of the best movies to come out in the US this year assuming they don't butcher the story with the editing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast