+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Collateral - 8/6

Collateral - 8/6

Rated R
    Duration 1 h 56m

From Hollywood.com

Max has lived a mundane life as a cab driver for twelve years. The faces have come and gone from his rear-view mirror: people and places he's long since forgotten--until tonight. Vincent is a contract killer. When an off-shore narco-trafficking cartel learns that they're about to be indicted by a federal grand jury, they mount an operation to identify and kill the key witness, and the last stage is tonight. It is on this very night that Vincent has arrived--and five bodies are supposed to fall. Circumstances cause Vincent to hijack Max' taxicab, and Max becomes collateral--an expendable person who's in the wrong place at the wrong time. Through the night, Vincent forces Max to drive him to each assigned destination. And as the L.A.P.D. and F.B.I. race to intercept them, Max and Vincent's survival become dependent on each other, in ways neither would have imagined.
    Cast: Tom Cruise , Jamie Foxx , Jada Pinkett Smith , Mark Ruffalo
    "That's Numberwang!"

Saw this movie last night, my very blunt and honest reaction: it sucked!

Yup, nothing more could describe this movie imo. The storyline was extremely weak, and even more-so slow. "boring" bassically describes all I could think of during the whole movie. There were some rare occasions, where the theater laughed (but at some pretty lame scenes) but other then that, it was slow! under-developed plot.

Rating: 1.5/5

IMO

*added: I just read over some internet reviews, and they all say it's great. Maybe I think too simplistic, and not look into the "symbolistic" views, and the depth and bla bla bla, but still if I wasn't there with my friends I honestly would have walked out by the first half hour.

Filmmaker and TV Fan
    Wow. I disagree completely.

I'm new here, so I should explain that I am a every tough cookie when it comes to film. I am a student filmmaker myself, so if I sound like I'm being arrogant or not listenign to your views, I really am. Trust me

Anyway, I feel that the tension between these two well developed characters was intense and surprising. Michael Mann is an absolutely amazing film director.

As for looking for symbolism... that's really what film is all about. People who go to films just for plot, acting, or special effects are wasting their time if you ask me. Film is an art, all of it, even the Hollywood studio junk that's there just to make money.

Of course, to each their own. I respect your opinion.

Just saw it and I loved it. My only problem with it was that there were some transition parts that would have benefited from a 5 second cut, because they went on a little long. Very few parts had the melodramatic music cranked up a little too loud, as if to cue the audience: "This part is really emotional". That trick only works when a movie moment is truly poignant and those kind of moments come rarely in movies. 4.5/5 !
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I just saw Collateral last night. It was definitely a beautifully filmed movie. I love the style of Michael Mann. I thought Tom Cruise and Jamie Fox did an excellent job.

I was though disappointed in the end. The pace and tension of the first 3/4 of the film were obviously leading somewhere, but it seemed that for having such a unique feel to itself, it would lead to a unique climax, as opposed to the easy cliché "Action" ending.

Overall, it was certainly worth seeing. The way it was filmed i think makes it a much better theater film than "wait for video".
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

I'm interested in seeing it, fakey-looking gray hair and all. But I've heard just what you said, MHayes, that the ending is a real fizzler after some very promising build-up throughout. It shifts gears into a run-of-the-mill kind of flick about 3/4 of the way in.

Again, I haven't seen it. That's just what I keep hearing in the reviews. I do hear that Jamie Foxx is a revelation in it, though, and that he makes the film. So take that for what it's worth.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I saw Collateral this afternoon and I loved it. It is an intense thriller with dead on performances from Cruise and Foxx. Michael Mann is in my opinion one of today's best filmakers. He gave me a slice of L.A. I had never seen before, the city at night is dark,ominous, and beautiful. I thought Tom Cruise gives one of his very best performances as Vincent, a cold, no nonsense contract killer, and Jamie Foxx was excellent as Max the cab driver . ****

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere
    I saw Collateral this afternoon and I loved it. It is an intense thriller with dead on performances from Cruise and Foxx. Michael Mann is in my opinion one of today's best filmakers. He gave me a slice of L.A. I had never seen before, the city at night is dark,ominous, and beautiful. I thought Tom Cruise gives one of his very best performances as Vincent, a cold, no nonsense contract killer, and Jamie Foxx was excellent as Max the cab driver . ****

I saw it over the weekand and was pleasantly surprised. Jamie Foxx did an outstanding job and Michael Mann did a fine job as a filmaker.

+ Reply to Thread