+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Manchurian Candiate - 7/30

The Manchurian Candiate - 7/30

From Yahoo movies.

Captain Bennett Marco (Washington) and Sgt. Raymond Shaw (Schreiber) served together during the Persian Gulf War (the first one), and were part of a platoon of U.S. soldiers who were kidnapped by the enemy, and brainwashed to become pawns once they return home. Now, ten years later, Raymond Shaw is climbing the political ladder, as his mother's (Streep) new husband is a powerful senator helping a presidential candidate. Marco, however, is not dealing with the adjustment after the war as well, and eventually remembers being brainwashed. Knowing that it's just a matter of time before Shaw is called to service by his handler, Marco contacts Shaw to try to get through to him before something terrible happens...
    Release Date: July 30th, 2004 (wide).
    MPAA Rating: R for violence and some language.
    Distributor: Paramount Pictures

Cast and Credits

Starring: Denzel Washington, Liev Schreiber, Meryl Streep, Kimberly Elise, Jon Voight
    Directed by: Jonathan Demme
    Produced by: Jonathan Demme, Ilona Herzberg, Scott Rudin, Tina Sinatra
    "That's Numberwang!"

Saw this movie last night and I really enjoyed it! I usually hate these type of movies (ie. political satire, agitprop) or any movie with Denzel Washington (he's always soooo rightous he makes me want to gag) but it was very entertaining and held my attention the whole time. Still not clear on the ending though....

I just cannot imagine this film being anywhere near as good as the original. I don't think I can go to see it, as I'm sure I will be dissapointed.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I've never seen the original but this movie went above what I was expecting. Great acting and great script. If you haven't seen it already, it's one of the few good out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    I just cannot imagine this film being anywhere near as good as the original. I don't think I can go to see it, as I'm sure I will be dissapointed.
    That's just how I feel. I am generally opposed to remaking an outstanding film, even when they do update it to reflect the current time frame.

Even when the casting is excellent -- such as in this film and in the remake of "Twelve Angry Men", the new version seems to always fall short. Angela Lansbury's portrayal of pure maternal evil just can't be matched.

I'll probably rent it and I'll probably think it's a good movie, but I'm sure it won't match the original.

I didnt' see the original. Hell, I didn't even know this movie was a remake.
    I'm not a fan of Denzel, so I was a little leery about watching this movie. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The dramatic story, although a little predictable, kept my interest all throughout the movie.

The two other people that went with me didn't really care for the movie. According to them, the story was slow, and it didn't have "enough action", but then again, I expected them to say that since they are both big-time action movie fans.

i saw this movie last week....i enjoyed it, but will probably have to see it again because the end slighly confused me

but no, not a whole lot of action lol.....but at least it kept me interested/awake unlike hidalgo which i fell asleep in lol

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Advice from a Skeptic:

I too was one of the people that didn't think that there was any way that they could do justice to the original Manchurian Candidate. The original is one of my favorite movies ever so I went into this with quite a bit of reservation.

BOY WAS I PLEASEANTLY SURPRISED!

Not only did they do justice to the original, I felt as though they went beyond it. Maybe it's just because with modern technology the idea of brainwashing seems so much more plausible, maybe it was the superb acting by every member of the cast, maybe it was because the war which they were discussing is more relevant to me...but, whatever it was, it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

On a side note, it's creepy how similar the sons look in both films. Liev Schrieber does an absolutely amazing job at playing both the machine like killer and the vulnerable son.

Even if you like the original, go see this one, it was completely worth it!

I finally got the opportunity to see this movie yesterday and absolutely loved it! I agree, OnMyLunchBreak, it's quite possibly the best movie that I've seen this year.

Word is that Meryl Streep may get an Oscar nod for her role. I found it absolutely hysterical that she, quite obviously, modeled her character after Hillary Clinton, right down to the thumb gesture when making her point.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

LG.
    what part about the ending was confusing for folks? I saw it this week and thought that it was pretty good, but not the best thing I've ever seen. I'm going to rent the original now to compare.

oh, and Streep's Hillary impersonation was cracking me up. Senator from NY, the hairstyle was the same, hilarious.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast