+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith! **Plot Spoilers Inside**

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    My main concern is that Lucas has left himself so many loose ends to tie up in this one film. Taking Anakin from a lost young man to a cold-blooded Darth Vader in one movie might seem rushed. I'm hoping that he goes back to basics with this last installment. He's tried to get too complicated in his storytelling, I think. The Original Trilogy was a simple, clean story. The prequels havent been and have suffered for it, imo.
    Now, I'll still be camped out on the sidewalk to see the midnight showing, so I guess you can call me an optimist, too. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with it.
    both to your concerns and to watching it opening day. My husband and I will probably watch it during the school day though, much to our children's dismay. We'll take them a few weeks later after school is out.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Wow. I'm surprised at all the negative vibes. I can't wait to see it, honestly, and I think it's a fine title. I'm hopeful that Lucas will correct some of the errors in judgement that were introduced in the first two episodes of the new trilogy. He has a lot of ground to cover, and he could make everything better by really sticking the landing on this last offering. I'm an optimist, sure, but I think he could do exactly that. This is the movie the other two have been pointing towards. It could be a real triumph. Let's hope so.
    I didn't think that the first two prequels were all that horrible. There was a lot of horrible, stilted dialogue, but then, that could easily be found in the original trilogy. Harrison Ford deserves a lot of credit for some of it.

I hope he takes a cue from Peter Jackson and makes the final movie as long as he feels it needs to be. People will sit through a 3 & 1/2 hour movie if it delivers. I'm still looking forward to it and I'm happy with the title. I think this final chapter is what people are looking forward to the most, not Darth Vader as a child or a young jedi.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I didn't think that the first two prequels were all that horrible. There was a lot of horrible, stilted dialogue, but then, that could easily be found in the original trilogy. Harrison Ford deserves a lot of credit for some of it.

I hope he takes a cue from Peter Jackson and makes the final movie as long as he feels it needs to be. People will sit through a 3 & 1/2 hour movie if it delivers. I'm still looking forward to it and I'm happy with the title. I think this final chapter is what people are looking forward to the most, not Darth Vader as a child or a young jedi.
    I didn't think Episodes 1 and 2 were all that bad, either. And I know I'm going to be a minority of one, but I was actually fond of JaJa. What I liked least about Episode 2 was the casting of Hayden Christianson as Aniken and Ewan McGregor, although better than Christianson, is no Sir Alec Guiness. I wasn't all that thrilled by Natalie Portman, either, but I think that may well have been because of how her role was written.

Nevertheless, I've been an avid fan of Star Wars since Episode 4 (the first one) was released, and I won't miss this one. We had no expectations with the first trilogy and so were able to be delighted. Since the 2nd trilogy is really all backstory and we know what these event led to, I think it would have been next to impossible to live up to the magic of the first 3.

I do own Episodes 1 and 2 and will be buying the boxed set of 4, 5 and 6 as soon as it comes out, next month I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    There was a lot of horrible, stilted dialogue, but then, that could easily be found in the original trilogy.
    Aw, cmon. "What's that flashing?!" was a great piece of thespian work.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    and Ewan McGregor, although better than Christianson, is no Sir Alec Guiness. .
    Oh wow. I thought Ewan was dead accurate in his portrayal of Obi Wan. When I watched Episode One, I would close my eyes and it sounded just like Sir Alec Guiness to me. To me, Ewan McGregor is also just an excellent actor.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I agree, Stargazer. Ewan McGregor is one of the best parts of the new trilogy. I've been very disappointed in Natalie Portman's flat delivery of her lines. She really annoyed me in Episode I. And I'm only so-so on Hayden Christensen, although I don't hate his portrayal. He has room for redemption in Episode III.

I actually like the two new movies. Not all of them beginning to end in their entirety. But there are certain scenes in each that I love, and I'm adequately pleased with the way the story has unfolded. I actually really enjoy the behind-the-scenes political game that's going on in each episode, and I think Ian McDiarmid (sp?) is doing a fantastic job as Palpatine/Sidious/Emperor/etc. etc. There's still a lot to enjoy about these two new episodes, and I'm really excited to see the finale.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I think McGregor is very good at Obi Wan, or at least the way I would have envisioned him at that age. Overall the two previous films were visually impressive, and the stories were very deep (perhaps too deep, I can agree with Stargazer on that). I enjoyed them.

I think my biggest negatives are the obvious attempts for commercial tie ins during the film, and all that started with those damnable Ewoks. Jar Jar Binks is annoying as hell, and my measue of a sucessful ROTS will largely rely on how little we see of him and his fellow BassetRoos.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I actually really enjoyed the layered complexity of Episode I. Lucas was reaching for a recurring theme of decoys in that film, and it worked. I preferred Episode II as an adventure movie, though, because of the introduction of Jango Fett and the Yoda duel. It just felt darker overall to me, too, and I prefer the darker Star Wars films. My favorite of the bunch is The Empire Strikes Back. My father and brother used to roll their eyes when I'd request to pop that one in the VCR. They couldn't understand my fascination with it, but it really is the most atmospheric, moving, adult movie of the entire series to date.

I'm hoping for a similar dark feel for Episode III. I don't think there's any way they can avoid that. It simply HAS to end on a colossally down note, and I'm (paradoxically, I guess) really looking forward to that. I hope Lucas doesn't pull any punches and gives us a real gut-wrenching finale. It'll be sad enough that Star Wars will be over. Might as well add the donkey kick to the stomach with a really, really sad ending.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I enjoyed episodes I and II, but not as much as the OT. I think part of the reason was that the actors seemed to be trying too hard to live up to the OT. The chemistry between Ford, Hamill and Fisher appeared to be genuine and at times, just plain fun.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Oh wow. I thought Ewan was dead accurate in his portrayal of Obi Wan. When I watched Episode One, I would close my eyes and it sounded just like Sir Alec Guiness to me. To me, Ewan McGregor is also just an excellent actor.
    Well, I didn't say he was terrible, but for me he was just okay, which is how I generally feel about his performances. I do give him credit for being able to do a range of differenct character types. Still, I much preferred Liam Neeson's portrayal of Obi Wan's teacher in the first episode.

I do agree that the Ford/Fisher/Hamill chemistry was much more natural and real.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I didn't think Episodes 1 and 2 were all that bad, either. And I know I'm going to be a minority of one, but I was actually fond of JaJa.
    Minority of two. I love Jar Jar Binks! I love all 5 of the movies!! Can't wait for Revenge of the Sith!!!

*And meesa thinks Zaius will go see it, no matter what he says.*
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread