+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Donnie Darko: Directors Cut - 07/23 Limited Release

Donnie Darko: Directors Cut - 07/23 Limited Release

From Yahoo movies

Drama, Romance and Science Fiction/Fantasy
    1 hr. 53 min. Some may think that Donnie Darko is a typical maladjusted teenager. Actually, Donnie is borderline delusional, beset by visions of a monstrous rabbit which is trying to keep him under its sinister influence. Prompted by this apparition, Donnie commits antisocial acts while he is undergoing psychotherapy, surviving the vagaries of high-school life and romance, and fortuitously escaping a bizarre death from a falling jet engine. Donnie battles his demons, literally and figuratively, in a series of intertwining story lines that play with time travel, fundamentalist gurus, fate, predestination and the machinations of the universe.
    Release Date: June 2, 2004 Seattle; July 23, 2004 Limited.
    MPAA Rating: R for language, some underage drug and alcohol use, and violence.
    Distributor: -1080

Cast and Credits

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore, Patrick Swayze, Noah Wyle, Katharine Ross
    Directed by: Richard Kelly
    Produced by: Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Adam Fields
    "That's Numberwang!"

it only shows at 12:00PM Noon in my area. AND only one theatre

Anyone who missed this movie in the theaters the first time, I highly recommend you watch it. It's a fantastic movie, really underrated, that manages to gracefully combine time travel, pop culture nostalgia, and teen angst into one amazing package.

I haven't seen this director's cut, but I did watch the additional footage that is supposed to constitute the director's cut on the DVD and thought that it help clarify some points of the film and provide additional character development.

Also, I love that 80s soundtrack! Although I am disappointed, I heard that music is changed from Echo & the Bunnymen's "The Killing Moon" to INXS' "Tear Us Apart" in the first scene, in which Donnie is riding around on his bicycle. Can anybody who watches the director's cut in the theater tell me if this is true? I prefer Echo, that's one of my favorite songs, too.

Also, this movie has a really cool, enigmatic website that is really more a series of puzzles that will lead to documents and clues that will help enrich and elucidate the movie's story. For example, you can actually access and read The Philosophy of Time Travel by Roberta R. Sparrow (the book Donnie gets from his science teacher). That's the really the key to the whole movie.

Donnie Darko Website:
    http://www.donniedarko.com
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

It's not playing anywhere near me! I'm so ticked!!!! The original was great, and I was looking forward to the Director's Cut all summer. Why must these limited releases always exclude little 'ol me?

That sucks! Sorry, Mike!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread